shape
carat
color
clarity

What do y''all think? Please help a man :-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jiminycricket369

Rough_Rock
Hi

I love this site, even if I know it will lead me to spending a few thousand on a ring! I''m looking and I think my lady wants something like this, and I just wondered what you think. I''ve read that radiants can be hit or miss, thanks!

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Premium-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1086841.asp

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t really know a whole lot about radiants...

Personally, I wouldn''t go for anything less than "ideal" cut- it''s the only "C" I wouldn''t compromise on. I would possibly go down to "SI1" in clarity and go up to "ideal" in cut.

Also, with a "J" color- it MIGHT have a slight yellow tinge.

Hopefully, other posters can help you more than I just did- like I said, my opinion is nowhere NEAR that of an expert.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Could be good, but ask JA to supply a IS of the stone. Storm should be able to give you a good judgment on stone based on the IS pic.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2008 4:14:58 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
Could be good, but ask JA to supply a IS of the stone. Storm should be able to give you a good judgment on stone based on the IS pic.
SC, storm's specialty are asschers and other step cuts, this is a radiant.
1.gif
However he is certainly more than capable of evaluating it!

JC, as noted ask JA for an IS image of the diamond and more photos, it appears to be a nice radiant in the pic, as you can't tell anything by numbers.

As Amanda says, radiants can hold more colour, so you would need to get an accurate description from one of JA's staff on this diamond - wouldn't worry me personally but check it out carefully. Make sure it is eyeclean to your standards also by asking your JA rep to evaluate it for you.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
When I was searching for my radiant I didn''t like the looks of the deeper cut stones. To my eye they tended to have a bit of the ''bow tie'' effect going on which wasn''t pleasing to me. I read a lot on the Original Radiant Cut Diamond web site about their ''ideal measurements'' and while they''re numbers are adjusted based on carat weight/dimensions of the stones, none of their ranges exceed 65.9% depth... just something to think about.
2.gif
Also as the others have said, radiants tend to show more color so be sure a warmer stone is okay with your girlfriend. I''m color sensitive I know, but I could really see a difference starting at H. Stay vigilant on your hunt for a radiant, they are worth every ounce of effort because they''re such lively cuts!

Here''s the chart and a link to the Original Radiant Cut Diamond web site''s page I''m speaking of:

http://www.radiantcut.com/Content.aspx?Content=CutScienceMeasurements&SideContent=Cut

rcdc-measurements.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2008 9:45:42 AM
Author: girlie-girl
When I was searching for my radiant I didn''t like the looks of the deeper cut stones. To my eye they tended to have a bit of the ''bow tie'' effect going on which wasn''t pleasing to me. I read a lot on the Original Radiant Cut Diamond web site about their ''ideal measurements'' and while they''re numbers are adjusted based on carat weight/dimensions of the stones, none of their ranges exceed 65.9% depth... just something to think about.
2.gif
Also as the others have said, radiants tend to show more color so be sure a warmer stone is okay with your girlfriend. I''m color sensitive I know, but I could really see a difference starting at H. Stay vigilant on your hunt for a radiant, they are worth every ounce of effort because they''re such lively cuts!

Here''s the chart and a link to the Original Radiant Cut Diamond web site''s page I''m speaking of:

http://www.radiantcut.com/Content.aspx?Content=CutScienceMeasurements&SideContent=Cut
Just bear in mind also GG that radiants can hide weight in other ways, depth doesn''t always relate to spread in fancy shapes the same way as it does with rounds - and radiants need to be seen to be judged as numbers don''t always tell you much!

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I''m very aware that radiants need to be seen to be judged, it took me several months to find mine afterall.
2.gif
I was just giving my experience when looking at radiant cut stones w/that depth. It could be very lovely and just what he was looking for, but for me that depth didn''t perform the way I preferred. I wasn''t trying to say anything about its spread or compare it to RB as I really know even less about them. LOL
3.gif

jiminycricket369

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''ll get an IS on it. I asked once before for more info from JA, but I guess I have to be more specific.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2008 1:00:44 PM
Author: girlie-girl
Yes I'm very aware that radiants need to be seen to be judged, it took me several months to find mine afterall.
2.gif
I was just giving my experience when looking at radiant cut stones w/that depth. It could be very lovely and just what he was looking for, but for me that depth didn't perform the way I preferred. I wasn't trying to say anything about its spread or compare it to RB as I really know even less about them. LOL
3.gif
Yes indeed, but it can be best to consider diamonds which do have depths in that region otherwise our poster could miss out on some superb radiants he could love, and you know yourself how long it can take to find a nice one.
2.gif
I wonder if it could have been another aspect of the cut you were noticing that gave the BTish effect such as the length to width ratio possibly....
34.gif

JC, call JA and request an IS image for that diamond and some more photos if possible, they should be able to accomodate you!

jiminycricket369

Rough_Rock
Ok, I got an ideal scope, yet i''m no expert. Does anyone have any suggestions? THANKS :)

jvs2 ja.jpg

jiminycricket369

Rough_Rock
ps, my girlfriend is looking for fire. like princess of hearts, but without the hole in my pocket.

jiminycricket369

Rough_Rock
thanks
i saw that and it looks pretty good and other radiants i''ve seen look very similar so that''s encouraging, but any other perspective?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think this diamond looks good, it is my type of radiant, and the IS looks fine. As to fire being a particular requirement, ask your rep at JA how this diamond measures up in this area.

Good link GG!

jiminycricket369

Rough_Rock
thanks for the help everyone. Now I may have to wait and see if prices are going to fall, but this looks like a good pick.

nsaids_nurse420

Shiny_Rock
i think the diamond is beautiful. if i were purchasing it, i would be very careful of the setting not having diamonds in it r/t it will take away from the stone because of the J color. i would set it in a classic all metal setting or if your girlfriend must have diamonds in the setting, i would make sure all the diamonds were about the same color. a cut such as this is definately going to show more color. i know, i have a K and am very happy with it. good luck and i think you made an excellent choice.

jiminycricket369

Rough_Rock
that''s a good point. I didn''t think about that. she does want diamond all around the setting. i think she''d be happy if i stopped dragging my heels though too.

jiminycricket369

Rough_Rock
we were looking at this:
f-g diamonds
vs1 clarity

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/ring/item_412-2047_design.asp?module=setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results