shape
carat
color
clarity

What do y'all think about this cushion?

misswho

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm posting with my sister's account--she introduced me to this site and after repeated failed attempts to create my own account (with a much more manly name, lol) I decided to just use hers since I want to get the ball rolling. I’ve been lurking for quite a while and I'd like to get some opinions from all you cushion experts out there!

First of all, some background. I’m getting ready to propose to my girlfriend!!! She is the love of my life and I am still in disbelief that I’ve met (let alone am dating!) anyone as amazing as her. She is truly the love of my life and I want her ring to be everything she’s ever dreamed of.

She has a loose diamond that her parents bought her before we met, for a graduation present that never came to full fruition. Fast forward to now and we’ve started talking about getting married. She told me about this diamond that she’s been holding onto, just waiting for the perfect time. In order to save money (I'm in dental school, she's in law school) she really wants to use it for her ring. Part of me feels like, “Great! This will save a lot of $$$ (we both have BIG student loans) and I already know she LOVES it.” But the other part of me, (maybe this is a lame guy thing,) feels like I don’t want to use something her parents already bought her and want to get her something on my own.

Specs from the GIA Report:
Cushion Brilliant
1.80 ct, I, VVS2
8.03 x 6.72 x 4.55
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
$6500

Other things she’s told me about it: She likes that it has 8 pavilions—she said it’s the perfect amount of “chunky” and as I’ve learned from other posts, this is good? She’s not crazy about it being an “I” and said in certain light, it looks a little warm. But she likes that it has fluorescence and it offsets some of the I color. And the size, haha. She wanted something over 2.0 ct but really wanted that rectangular ratio so she settled for this one under 2ct since the measurements are pretty big for a 1.80, according to her.
I guess I’m asking for you all to advise me on a few things:

1) Is this cushion great enough that I get over my pride, suck it up and use it? Or do you think I can find a better one for around the same price?
2a) If yes, use it: then I need help with figuring out a setting
2b) If no: I need help finding a new diamond

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi misswho (or Mrwho!). For a fancy shaped stone (anything other than round) it's hard to tell anything without an ASET or idealscope image. Also impacting value a great deal is who graded it: EGL, GIA, AGS or someone else? However (and a BIG however) is that diamond prices have gone way up and you will not find a 1.8 ct cushion brilliant for $6500. The least expensive stone with similar criterion on Blue Nile is almost $14K. So, I'd say suck it up and go with the stone, especially if she loves it, since that's what matters the most. What kind of setting is she looking for? To make the stone appear larger, you could go with a halo or buy two smaller stones to make a substantial 3 stone ring. Give us some direction and we would be happy to help you.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
I do not think you will be able to find a better stone with the same price. There is a 1.82 ct, I, VVS2 cushion on Blue Nile that is $10,810. I would definitely keep the stone and either pick or design a setting that is meaningful to you both.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
If she's okay with using it, I would do that and get a rockin' setting. Go high-end like leon mege, steven kirsch, or even get a really nice tacori setting. With the way diamond prices have risen you likely won't be able to get anything close for anywhere near that price.
And maybe get her a nice RHR once you both graduate and are settled and making the big dentist/lawyer bucks, for an anniversary. Or some nice studs.

misswho

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys...ya it looks like I better put my pride aside and use the diamond we already have. I brought up the topic of a setting tonight over dinner and she said she likes the micropave halo look--which I've seen several examples of on here. Her concern is that the center cushion will look yellow if surrounded by a halo. Is this the case? Does anyone out there have examples of "I" color diamonds in halos? Can I specify that the designer use "I" color micropave diamonds?

Also, about how much should I plan on spending for a setting like this in platinum? What else do I need to find out from her? I'm so new to this, thanks in advance for all your help!

mogster

Shiny_Rock
misswho said:
Her concern is that the center cushion will look yellow if surrounded by a halo. Is this the case?
It depends on how color sensitive she is. In certain lighting, my G-colored diamond looks faintly yellow (not just a hint of warmth, but a very, very pale yellow). Some people notice color more than others.

misswho said:
Can I specify that the designer use "I" color micropave diamonds?
You can probably specify I-colored melee, but the nature of small stones is that they're going to look whiter.

misswho said:
Also, about how much should I plan on spending for a setting like this in platinum?
This depends - do you want the ring to be CAD/cast or hand forged? CAD/cast will cost less and hand forged will be more expensive.

misswho said:
What else do I need to find out from her?
What kind of profile does she prefer? Does she want a basket? The ring to sit flush?

Here are some different styles:
http://www.jamesallen.com/find-item/?DetailedSearch=0&sku=halo&x=0&y=0&page_state=0
http://artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=3&Itemid=1
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/JewelryList.aspx?Inspired=Harry+Winston

misswho

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies so far. Sorry I've been MIA--had a bunch of exams and then Labor Day. I now have the diamond in my possession and after a lot of discussion, I'm narrowing down what she wants. Platinum, micropave, halo with no donut if possible. Does that make sense? Has anyone seen this? I've perused several threads on here and all the halos have donuts. All the rings where the stems come to a single point do not have halos. Does anyone foresee a reason why the two can't be combined? She doesn't want a cathedral either.

She also wants the band to be eternity, but I've noticed that many of you all have the diamonds only 3/4 the way around. What are the pros & cons of having the diamonds all the way?

The last thing she told me was that she wants it as THIN as possible--with the least amount of metal showing. What is the thinnest you would recommend going? Is 1.5 mm going to be strong enough to resist bending/warping? I work with metal in creating crowns and such for dental work and from my perspective, there is definitely a point where you compromise strength by going too thin. I don't want her ring to warp or the halo part to snap off.

All these specifications point to going down the custom route--so now I'm trying to decide who to work with. From everything I've read on here, I've narrowed it down to either Leon Mege or Victor Canera. If anyone can provide me with opinions either way, that would be very helpful :)

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!!!

misswho

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mogster! That's exactly what I'm talking about! Already bookmarked that page and will show it to whomever I decide to go with for the setting.

Can eternity rings be resized if they take some of the diamonds out and then add them back in? She's really stuck on eternity...I'd like to hear more thoughts on this from anyone who has an opinion. Are those diamonds more likely to fall out due to wear and tear anyway?

And how much should I plan on spending for a setting like this? My initial thoughts were to keep the budget for the setting & wedding band (she wants a matching eternity micropave one) right around $5K but is this even reasonable now that I've entered the world of custom?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did I miss the pictures of this cushion?

misswho

Rough_Rock
I haven't posted pictures, but I can tonight when I get home. My initial thread title was in regards to the specs :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock
With regards to price, I've received quotes from Steven, Leon and Victor and they all hover between $4k and $5k for the e-ring setting. A standard HW type halo is around $4k, and the $5k quotes came in when I started requesting customizations to the profile. Hope this helps!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
misswho|1315352247|3011086 said:
I haven't posted pictures, but I can tonight when I get home. My initial thread title was in regards to the specs :)
I understand that, but specs don't mean much where cushions are concerned. I wouldn't be comfortable weighing on on this stone without seeing it first. And, since it's a cushion, I wanna see it!!!! :cheeky:

mogster

Shiny_Rock
misswho said:
I now have the diamond in my possession and after a lot of discussion, I'm narrowing down what she wants. Platinum, micropave, halo with no donut if possible.

CharmyPoo said:
mogster|1315349282|3011049 said:
I'm guessing that this is what she's looking for: http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondJewelryDetails.aspx?ID=95

The downside to having a full eternity is that you cannot have the ring resized.

My guess is that she is looking for something more like this ...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-antique-cushion.140739/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-antique-cushion.140739/[/URL]

:confused: :confused: I thought she didn't want a donut. Isn't the hole-y piece that touches the finger a donut or am I mistaken?

misswho

Rough_Rock
Here are some pics that I was able to sneak this morning once my girlfriend left for school :)
Loose.jpg
Profile.jpg
Holder.jpg

Haven: the actual stone isn't up for debate anymore--we already own it & have decided to use it. Would love to hear your thoughts on it though.

Eskeiz: Thanks for the pricing info...sounds like the setting is going to eat up most of my $5K, does anyone know pricing for a matching eternity wedding band?

Charmypoo & Mogster: thanks for the suggestions--Mogster's right--no donut. So far, that link to the Yanni on ERD's website is the only one that comes close.

I'm still a little ego-bruised that we are using a stone from her parents...does anyone know if vendors on here are willing to trade stones? Or at least give you credit for yours if you purchase something from them? I'm still really hung up on using this stone. And I would really like to get her something that hits the 2ct mark. Please weigh in!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it depends on where you get the matching eternity band (for the price). If it is in budget I would get a handmade setting from someone like Victor Canera...you can see examples of his pave work if you search. I would just contact him and ask for a quote...he can work with you on customizing a design that you think your GF will love :)

ALSO since you already have the diamond...I would just go ahead and use it!!! It just doesn't make sense to spend $$ that you don't have. Plus you know she likes the diamond...so I would just get an AWESOME setting for it and then propose with the perfect ring :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
my honest feedback is that it looks like there is a LOT of metal showing. if you compare to the pieces done by victor canera...not even close. in fact I think this looks 'worse' than many of the cast rings (from ERD/BGD/etc)

I think you really do get what you pay for and this is just showing that.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the setting but agree with slg...just have it done by someone who can do it with less metal showing.

Dont feel bad about using her stone. I think its great that she already has something that she loves. It will
be very sentimental.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results