shape
carat
color
clarity

What do to with this kitchen - no pantry?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

metro

Brilliant_Rock

The husband and I have been looking for our first home for a few months now. We want to stay in the city, so we''re going to have to do without a few amenities and pay a higher price, then if we were looking in the suburbs. But location is top on our priority list, and being in the city will give us the central location that we both need for our daily commutes and to our daughter’s private school.

We thought we hit the jackpot when we found this great home about 10 miles from DD''s school - great location, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage. It has almost everything we want - EXCEPT for the teeny-tiny kitchen with no pantry

7.gif
(Pic attached)

We really don''t want to spend lots of $ in remodeling at this point, cuz after closing, moving costs and some furniture shopping, we''re going to be eating Roman Noodles for a good while

40.gif
Heehee, but really - we need a solution.

My only thoughts were to take out the double oven and turn that space into the pantry. Then somehow modify the cooktop on the brick area to a suite a conventional oven with cooktop.

Do you think that could be done under 2K?

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

hr1768991-4.jpg

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Metro-

Where does that door that I see go to? My first thought is that to buy a new oven and pull out that dbl one will be kinda spendy. Do the ovens all work? You may be able to take the cabinet space under the existing cooktop and do pull out shelves for a modified pantry. It is hard to tell, but is there enough depth in the dinette to add a freestanding armoire and use that?

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Another thought-

I have learned that you can pick up quite a bit of storage, even if you only have a foot of depth for a cabinet. You also could pick up storage, not necessarily for a pantry, but by eliminating the soffits over the cabinets and going with taller cabinet uppers.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
First off congrats on finding a place!!!
36.gif

I was thinking how about the space between the window and the counter, can you have a pantry built into that area and then just push the kitchen table a little bit over. Then you don''t have to remove the double ovens and/or get a brand new one. Or, how about the brick area underneath the island, can that be removed to make cabinets, etc.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your reply, gail013.

To answer your questions:

1. That door on goes into the garage.

2. Yes, all the ovens work, cooktop and all.

3. There is space under the cooktop. I looked in the under cabinets and it looked to have about 1-foot depth going back. The owner the space packed full of boxed goods. As you can see from the pics, they also use the glass front cabinets as their pantry space as well. I

4. Pull out shelves - wow, good idea!

5. I''m not sure if there is enough space to add a free standing armoire in the breakfast area. There is a window that I''d hate to block, and adding anything large to the other wall might make the walking space to the kitchen a little tight.
38.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
How about the area under the island/cooktop where the bench is. Can you have cabinets built into that area and just leave the brick alone.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
First Idea:
If the appliances work you can sell them and purchase one free standing cooktop oven (range) to replace the existing cooktop and fill the double oven area in with cabinets for a standing high pantry.
This idea is the most expensive because it involves a new appliance and new pantry cabinetry.

Second Idea:
Build out the space below the bar with cabinets that can serve for both pantry needs and buffet/dish storage needs.
This idea is of moderate expense.

Third Idea:
You can buy a garage style storage unit and place your pantry in the garage right outside the door to your kitchen.
Such as this one, which is made from metal and plastic. Keep your dry goods in the garage and any items that need to remain room temperature in one cabinet designated for those items.
garage storage from home depot
This idea is only $190.

AGSHF

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Congratulations on your new home!

Another suggestion: how about a "window seat" set up under the large window on the left, with cabinets supporting the window seat area. You can move your breakfast table closer to the wall on the right.

Another suggestion: a row of base cabinets against the wall on the right (the cabinets should be less deep than standard base cabinets--you can consider using something the same depth as wall cabinets). This row of cabinets can be covered on top with a nice countertop and be used as a "buffet" area and as a place to drop things off on your way in from the garage.

Have you looked at IKEA? They have very affordable, do-it-yourself cabinets that are pretty good quality for the price.

Good luck with your project!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i would buy some free standing cupboards (with doors) and put them in the garage. problem solved.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Can you do a pantry in the garage, I was thinking about that, but not sure where you live and how the climate is? I don''t remember who suggested it, but that would be pretty handy.

I like the idea of eliminating the snack bar overhang and just adding a cabinet under that area. It doesn''t look like there''s alot of room for counter stools anyway. One foot of depth will also fit most fdinner plates to give you an idea of storage amount.

I would eliminate the glass cabinet doors so you can hide stuff, and for sure redo that end corner cabinet and try to make it into storage with a door.

I am sure you can figure something out! I would try to have some kind of kitchen person out and consult with them. How exciting for your first home!

I was also wondering if there is any way to recess a cabinet into a wall on the garage side, so the cabinet would extend into the garage a ft or two, but would be accessible to the kitchen.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My grandparents did this and it works great for bulk dry goods and canned or packaged goods.... that and an extra fridge in the garage (they have a double garage) from sears for a 400 buck fridge would be the least costly solution until you can renovate.
Date: 1/15/2007 9:12:39 PM
Author: ladykemma
i would buy some free standing cupboards (with doors) and put them in the garage. problem solved.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My last house had no pantry and we used a nearby closet to store canned goods and unopened food that was not prone to bugs. Unopned cereal boxes, even spices. Or food that come individual packets like oatmeal etc. If you love everything else about the house I guarantee you will find a way!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I have a small kitchen similar to yours. Here''s what I did for almost no money:
I would put the food in the cabinets in the kitchen. I''d be super organized about it...putting dry goods like sugar/flour etc. in the Tupperware that stacks and getting the cabinet organizers for cans. Small packets of things go in plastic baskets so you can pull them out without stuff falling all over.

I''d get a frosting kit to frost the glass cabinet doors to make them more opaque so you can hide stuff.

Then I''d keep the bare minimum stuff in the kitchen...daily dishes, pans, silverware. Any of your serving ware that is not used regularly would go in a closet or out in the garage. Not sure of your climate, but food in the garage unless it is cans has always gotten mice for me.

I''d get a small cabinet--maybe 4 feet tall 18" wide and 12" deep to store extra food in larger boxes like cereal etc. It looks like you could squeeze that in the dining area.

If you have more money, the suggestions of a window seat or cabinets under the bar area are excellent. Removing the sofits and putting in taller cabinets is good but not cheap (I have the same issue!!!) You could also put "floating shelves" above the bar. I''d make sure they were open on both sides. You could neatly stack dishes or glasses there leaving your regular cabinets for food/pans etc.

Good luck and congratulations on your new house.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As Island Dreams said about mice... my grandparents are in CA and the area is mouse prone. Their cabinets are metal and my grandfather uses some kind of caulk to seal them competely... with weather stripping for the doors-- for the last 7 years that they've had them, they have been mouse proof.

FSIL keeps her serveware in the garage and in a hutch in her dining room. Never uses them... says its too much trouble to get them out. Of course... she's not entertaining inclined anyway, so it could just be an excuse to use plastic and aluminum at every party.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
What about putting a mini pantry under the island? they sell doors that don''t really look like doors so noone would really know it was there. my friend did this because of limited space in her apt and it worked out nicely. people would love to have the double oven---don''t get rid of it!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results