shape
carat
color
clarity

What do the small holes on the back of the shank do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

summerluv

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I''m custom making a ring from WF. It''s a pave set with cathedral. I wanted small holes on the back of the shank under each melee, but was told they are unable to do so since the shank splits to cathedral.
I guess that sounds strange to me, since I see plenty of cathedral rings with small holes in the back. I read here on pricescope that the holes are to allow light to pass through so the melees can sparkle. But WF told me that the holes are only to make the ring lighter, and it does not affect the melee in any way.
So I''m pretty confused now. Does anyone know what those holes are for? If it really is only to make the ring lighter then I can live without them. But if they do affect the melees'' fire then I would definitely want them...

Thank you!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no, they don''t affect the fire. It doesn''t even make sense, since the holes wouldn''t let light through anyway (your finger makes it pretty dark back there.)

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I like the holes for cleaning purposes.

This topic can be searched fore here with many results.

Basically everyone agrees that you dont need holes for the light to get thru.

But they are useful for cleaning.

People are divided if they are absolutely necessary for cleaning.

I tend to go with the school of thought that lifes `crud`will find a way to get behind the diamond and get trapped underneith, causing darkness in the longrun.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s another thread on the same topic, where two of our favorite experts chime in.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original WB and ER had ho holes at all, and the diamonds always looked sparkly and white. I agree that holes *might* make it easier for cleaning, but that is the only purpose they would serve.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 2:04:45 PM
Author: mrssalvo
many of the high end designer rings don''t have the ''holes'' here''s a thread where I got a reply from Matthew of Michael B Jewelry as to why their rings don''t have the holes..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/holes-inside-rings-azures.81706/
Michael B is what sprang to my mind, as well.

All the sparkle in diamonds comes from light entering through the top, bouncing off the facets underneath, and returning out the top of the stone. Some designers even argue that having only metal (no holes) directly beneath the stones can improve the perceived color of the stones (in the case of white metals like white gold, platinum and palladium - some say that the real reason for the holes is to avoid affecting the perceived color of the stones in the case of yellow gold) and/or increase light return (with light bouncing off the surface of the metal as well as the stones.

People are pretty split on both of those counts, but regardless, the primary reason for holes is to make it easier to clean (though people are split on that as well).

Here are a couple of little diagrams that demonstrate the light return thing well.

refracts_light.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another:

diamonds+refraction+of+light.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2009 2:18:29 PM
Author: musey
Date: 2/6/2009 2:04:45 PM

Author: mrssalvo

many of the high end designer rings don''t have the ''holes'' here''s a thread where I got a reply from Matthew of Michael B Jewelry as to why their rings don''t have the holes..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/holes-inside-rings-azures.81706/

Michael B is what sprang to my mind, as well.

All the sparkle in diamonds comes from light entering through the top, bouncing off the facets underneath, and returning out the top of the stone. Some designers even argue that having only metal (no holes) directly beneath the stones can improve the perceived color of the stones (in the case of white metals like white gold, platinum and palladium - some say that the real reason for the holes is to avoid affecting the perceived color of the stones in the case of yellow gold) and/or increase light return (with light bouncing off the surface of the metal as well as the stones.

People are pretty split on both of those counts, but regardless, the primary reason for holes is to make it easier to clean (though people are split on that as well).

Here are a couple of little diagrams that demonstrate the light return thing well.
The diagram is nice, but I''m pretty sure it''s not correct.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
A while back WF refused to do the cleaning holes for me. I wanted them.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 3:08:39 PM
Author: JulieN
Date: 2/6/2009 2:18:29 PM
Author: musey
The diagram is nice, but I''m pretty sure it''s not correct.
Uh oh! That''s no good. It''s one that I''ve seen posted on here many times so I just assumed that it was accurate.

Regardless, I only posted it to demonstrate what I was saying about the light entering through the top of the stone and bouncing back out the top, as opposed to entering from underneath, so I suppose it''s good enough for that purpose (since we''re not discussing cut quality here)...

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Most of the designs we have do exhibit azures, but there are times when strucural requirements do cause us to eliminate them.

In order for a band to retain its structural integrity, there has to be enough strong metal for the piece to withstand daily wear conditions. Some designs don''t have much metal to begin with (some thin split shank designs or thin micropave bands), and the extra metal is needed to help the piece maintain its shape (and prevent melee loss).

summerluv

Rough_Rock
Thank you girls for all your help!
My ring is a pave with 8 stones on each side, 1pointers, 2mm. It''s fairly standard (doesnt seem like its gonna be fragile) so I don''t understand why WF couldn''t put the holes in
33.gif

Since I insisted, WF agreed to put 4 holes on the last 4 diamonds on each side. Should I take that offer? Would the ring look weird with partial holes??

Also I have an other question: My melees are 1 pointers only. I see girls here with 2mm pave rings using 1.5 or even 2 pointers. Now I''m concerned.. Does that mean my shank will have more metal and less diamonds?

I hate myself for being so difficult..
8.gif
I''m at my 3rd CAD already and yet I still have all these confusions and haven''t made up my mind... Hopefully WF puts up with me...

Thank you!

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 10:16:10 AM
Author: summerluv
Thank you girls for all your help!
My ring is a pave with 8 stones on each side, 1pointers, 2mm. It''s fairly standard (doesnt seem like its gonna be fragile) so I don''t understand why WF couldn''t put the holes in
33.gif

Since I insisted, WF agreed to put 4 holes on the last 4 diamonds on each side. Should I take that offer? Would the ring look weird with partial holes??

Also I have an other question: My melees are 1 pointers only. I see girls here with 2mm pave rings using 1.5 or even 2 pointers. Now I''m concerned.. Does that mean my shank will have more metal and less diamonds?

I hate myself for being so difficult..
8.gif
I''m at my 3rd CAD already and yet I still have all these confusions and haven''t made up my mind... Hopefully WF puts up with me...

Thank you!
Hi summerluv-- did you decide on on the holes in the ring?
Personally, this is not something I would fight them on. If you''re dealing with the structural intergrity of the ring-- go with the experts!
you don''t want to worry about the melee falling out (I think the holes are more high maintenance anyway!!)

As far as the CADs are concerned... can you post them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results