shape
carat
color
clarity

What do teenagers like?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I work with a kids that''s had a rough go at things. I wanted to get her things to help her pass the time this summer... she likes music and magazines...

I was thinking about getting her the book ''Ophelia Speaks'', I really loved it as a teenager. I dunno if she would like electronic sudoku or something like that... any ideas from parents or people who work with teens?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a gift card to Borders or Barnes and Noble? That way she can pick out her own books.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My DD (16) is into making her own jewelry. There are a few beading places near me that give classes or you can just buy your own supplies. However, I found it cheaper to go to Joann''s, or AC Moore, or Michaels (craft stores) for the beads and wires, etc.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much money do you want to spend?? Neatfreak and soocool have great ideas. There is also the idea of signing her up with one of the pottery places where you pick a piece and paint it... Color me Mine comes to mind. Or how about signing her up at the local Y for some tennis lessons, etc... Being inside during the summer can be very insulating. I like the idea of getting her out with other kids, but don''t know if that''s something she''d enjjoy. So am throwing that out there for you..

You are so thoughtful Trillionaire. We need more people like you.
12.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I know giftcards can seem impersonal, but if she likes music she might really appreciate an iTunes gift card.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Neatfreak, SooCool, Kaleigh, Sabine,

OMG, you guys are fantastic! These ideas are great already, I love them! I'm usually really creative about coming up with ideas, but I think my brain is a little fried lately
40.gif
. Maybe the weather... 100 degrees tomorrow.

I wonder if I can get her a jewelry making kit of some kind? She is 2.5 hrs away right now, but will be moving in the next few months. You all also made me think about all of the kits and things they sell at borders, they are always on sale, and could cover a variety of topics. Aw, yay! you are getting my juices flowing!
36.gif

Keep the ideas coming! And Kaleigh, I am just doing my part. People need people, you know?
21.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
There is a series of Klutz books that covers many different crafts. My DD loved the one on making friendship bracelets ( you can always buy additional DMC floss at a craft store). DD also loves origami.

Do a google search on Klutz crafts and there is a whole list of books they put out (with supplies) that you can buy in bookstores as well as crafting stores, like AC Moore & Michaels.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I looked around the internet for kits...

found jewelry kits, knitting kits, perfume kits, painting kits, mosaic kits... all of these seem promising! She might not like everything, but it''s good to have options, right? still thinking....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is her exact age? If she''s an early teen, then the crafty things sound like a great idea. If she''s 16 or older, I think they may seem a bit too young to her, but you never know. I brought a bag of old string to Greece when I chaperoned a trip with 40 high schoolers last summer and those string bracelets kept them busy for HOURS on long bus rides. Who knew?

I''ve generally found that a teen''s favorite subject is often herself. I''d buy her a really nice blank journal from Barnes & Noble, one with an appealing cover and great paper inside. I''d give it to her with a fancy pen and a few books that either ask "deep" questions (Consider This and If come to mind) or a book on journaling, they''re out there.

My students are also pretty obsessed with doing this. If she has Internet access, you may want to print out the homepage and stick it in the journal.

If she''s a reader, I''ve never found a teen that didn''t devour Go Ask Alice. They''re also liking the Pretties series right now. Oh, Crank is a big favorite too, it''s a poetry collection.

If she has the means to get around, gift cards to a local movie theatre would be nice, too, for a night out with a pal.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
everyone has great ideas, but I just wanted to say how thoughtful you are to get something for her. You sure are sweet and I know that when she gets older she will definitely remember your kindness and thoughtfulness. I know I remember distinct people in my life

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a teenage boy.
28.gif
31.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2009 12:38:22 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
a teenage boy.
28.gif
31.gif
lol... you are so bad
9.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about cooking. It''s something the two of you could do together. Go to Borders, pick out a cool cookbook and pick some recipes from it. Then a few nights a week or on the weekend, you can cook together. Or, you could pick themes like Mexican night and find cool recipes to make together.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to ditto what Haven said. The craft thing might not work if she''s older. I work with 7th graders who are 12 and 13, and they love all the books Haven mentioned. You can''t go wrong with Itunes or movie tickets.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 12:38:22 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
a teenage boy.
28.gif
31.gif
lol, MEN! That is the only suggestion that my SO had, too...
20.gif
1.gif
38.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
What about the Twilight series? It''s so hugely popular and the stars are virtually on every cover....

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get her a gift certificate for sephora-what teen girl wouldnt love to spend time picking out beauty products!! Plus itunes and book store gift cards!
A good book can take you to another place. Even a starbucks card that if she has a friend she can offer too treat. I think I might make a basket with some little
bits of each. How fun would that be!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad that there are you peope out thee that still read.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results