shape
carat
color
clarity

What do our friends across the pond think of Harry and Meghan

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, there is a price for fame.

Yes, the British tabloids seem particularly ferocious but Meghan's family's antics had fuel to the fire. I do feel especially bad for her in that respect.

Sometimes it seems like they want things both ways. Use their fame for good (and profit) - but don't want to be subjected to the downside. It isn't always fair but sadly it's reality. There are things in life we all don't have control of.

They seem like nice enough people but it seems like they don't know what they really want or accepting the implications of their decisions.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t stand them. They are hypocrites preaching to us but not doing what they preach. I don’t think the press drove them out, I think greed did. Other than the British press I don’t hear anything about them. It seems the use every opportunity to insult the Queen who I admire a great deal. Most people I know don’t give a fig about them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Most people I know don’t give a fig about them.

Well unfortunately, the group of people each of us know are usually just self-selected copies of ourselves.
Therefore, that they think similarly to us is not support whatsoever for them being right.

... and that's why the Internet, where we encounter people, with a wider cross section of perspectives, can be a real mind opener.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They may be the nicest people in the world, but when stories about them show up on my news feed it annoys me. I think their PR team works overtime to get them press, and I am not personally interested in their lives. I am more interested in human interest stories which the press does not seem to cover anymore. For example, how people helped each other out in Texas during the weather crisis. I feel like I have to search for those type of stories.
They also seem to completly overshadow the important causes the rest of the family work hard to highlight
i completly agree about lack of nice (ordinary) human interest stories
But junolism is lazy these days, its all about sound bites

To be honest i check the fox news app :-o regularly just for those kind of stories, they do some really heart warming ones about ordinary relatable people

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
In Sunday's news
I particularly hate opinion pieces on any topic

And this Australian piece
Honestly its no different to the trash they print in woman's mags in this part of the world
Gone is the day of the woman's weekly of old my grandma enjoyed

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personal opinion and all that...

They made their own bed, now sleep in it, and good luck to them.

I feel sorry for William as the two of them were once so close and supportive of each other.

I ex-communicated my own sister in 2002, and she ex-communicated our brother since 1989, would not acknowledge my bro my name and asked to speak to "Mrs. X" when she rang to enquire how my dad was when he was ill and in hospital, refused to attend my dad's funeral in 2005, and wrote my mum a multi-page letter shortly afterwards citing everything that my mum had allegedly wronged her.

The above is only in my own family unit, and my dad was one of 14, and my mum one of 4 - I grew up swimming in family feuds!

DK :))

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan and have no interest in fanning the flames of public interest. I think they overshadow many of the genuine charity works done by the Royal Family and it's hilarious how they left "for privacy" but court attention at every turn... :roll:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were British I'd be disgusted. I think Harry means well and has a good heart, but isnt very bright.. other than her rescuing of dogs, I don't see much to admire in Meghan.

The press was no worse to her than any of the royal family. And it didn't seem like her race was a factor, more that she was American and an actress. And now they're in the movie star capital of the world, with paparazzi hiding behind every bush....not exactly the destination I'd pick if I really wanted to get away from it all.

They seem like they want to have their cake and eat it too.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't trust the monarchy at all, and as a canadian I don't even agree with them being our head of state.

Isn't it a tad suspicious that these new emails were leaked just days before their "bombshell tell all interview"? And has everyone forgotten that the queen literally wouldn't let her staff spend time with their families over xmas and there was an actual "revolt"? All so she could TRAVEL to another estate? But no, its H&M that are the unreasonable ones of course.

The monarchy is grasping at straws for any remaining power they still have, and I'm quite sure the queen could have done more to protect H&M but chose not to. I think their decision to leave was a smart one, and if them standing up for themselves overshadows the "great work" the monarchy has done, then it doesnt sound like theyve actually done that great of work. H&M are still continuing their charity work, and have since they left over a year ago. The backlash they got was so uncalled and OTT IMO. And seeing the scorn of people after they dared to say "service is universal" was hilarious. "You don't answer back to the queen!" - take your pearls and clutch em elsewhere please :roll2:.

As a side note, has everyone forgotten about Prince Andrew associating with multiple child sex traffickers? Why isn't the crown pissed about that? Oh right, instead they protect this nasty human.

So in conclusion of this rant post, I honestly don't really give two F's about H&M, but I definitely disagree with the faux-rage towards them on behalf of the monarchy, when the monarchy is in an abysmal state themselves.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't trust the monarchy at all, and as a canadian I don't even agree with them being our head of state.

Isn't it a tad suspicious that these new emails were leaked just days before their "bombshell tell all interview"? And has everyone forgotten that the queen literally wouldn't let her staff spend time with their families over xmas and there was an actual "revolt"? All so she could TRAVEL to another estate? But no, its H&M that are the unreasonable ones of course.

The monarchy is grasping at straws for any remaining power they still have, and I'm quite sure the queen could have done more to protect H&M but chose not to. I think their decision to leave was a smart one, and if them standing up for themselves overshadows the "great work" the monarchy has done, then it doesnt sound like theyve actually done that great of work. H&M are still continuing their charity work, and have since they left over a year ago. The backlash they got was so uncalled and OTT IMO. And seeing the scorn of people after they dared to say "service is universal" was hilarious. "You don't answer back to the queen!" - take your pearls and clutch em elsewhere please :roll2:.

As a side note, has everyone forgotten about Prince Andrew associating with multiple child sex traffickers? Why isn't the crown pissed about that? Oh right, instead they protect this nasty human.

So in conclusion of this rant post, I honestly don't really give two F's about H&M, but I definitely disagree with the faux-rage towards them on behalf of the monarchy, when the monarchy is in an abysmal state themselves.

there's something to be said about having an apolitical national figure, but it doesn't have to be a monarch and i don't know why the ceremonial royal families of europe are still a thing. it seems almost insulting to citizens in a democracy. (well, i'd be insulted if we had a royal family here in the U.S.... i'm already insulted by political dynastic families, i think it robs us of better leaders.) but they seem popular? so as long as people like them i suppose they will persist.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
there's something to be said about having an apolitical national figure, but it doesn't have to be a monarch and i don't know why the ceremonial royal families of europe are still a thing. it seems almost insulting to citizens in a democracy. (well, i'd be insulted if we had a royal family here in the U.S.... i'm already insulted by political dynastic families, i think it robs us of better leaders.) but they seem popular? so as long as people like them i suppose they will persist.

I have no issues with other countries doing what they want to do with their head of state, but Canada has been it's own country for many years. We recently had a "scandal" with our representative of the queen (governor general). They are appointed by the PM and serve 0 purpose; she was basically quit for abuse of employees and yet collects $150k/year in pension that the tax payers have to pay. Our last governor general still spends $100k/year in travel expenses (again paid by tax payers) and she isn't even in the position, along with her pension. These positions are our tie to the queen, but are really just a waste of money. IDC who is on our money, keep her face there, but we are wasting money trying to keep them happy.

Reading some of these posts saying H&M are "greedy" or "hypocrites" without even mentioning the rest of the royal fam are missing the forest for the trees (imo).

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no issues with other countries doing what they want to do with their head of state, but Canada has been it's own country for many years. We recently had a "scandal" with our representative of the queen (governor general). They are appointed by the PM and serve 0 purpose; she was basically quit for abuse of employees and yet collects $150k/year in pension that the tax payers have to pay. Our last governor general still spends $100k/year in travel expenses (again paid by tax payers) and she isn't even in the position, along with her pension. These positions are our tie to the queen, but are really just a waste of money. IDC who is on our money, keep her face there, but we are wasting money trying to keep them happy.

Reading some of these posts saying H&M are "greedy" or "hypocrites" without even mentioning the rest of the royal fam are missing the forest for the trees (imo).

that kind of waste is frustrating

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im happy with HM being our head of state
I can think of not one single NZ person i want ever want to be it and if it were a political figure i would have zero respect for that person

Anyway i read this in the Telegraph today
I rather like the Telegraph but i don't subscribe

That the royal family have more important things to worry about than H&M right now

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im happy with HM being our head of state
I can think of not one single NZ person i want ever want to be it and if it were a political figure i would have zero respect for that person
We don't have a monarch.
Do you think every country should have one?

If so, how exactly should one be selected?
Actually isn't that very problematic?
And doesn't that bring into question the very idea of the inherited monarchy.
How do they start?
They all did.

Aren't they started in yucky ways?

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Who is planning on watching their interview?!!!!!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
So just a thought.. Is Meghan kinda like a US royal? LOL.

I mean we have HM the Queen and being part of the Commonwealth in Australia. But Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is kinda like our royal so to speak haha.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don't have a monarch.
Do you think every country should have one?

If so, how exactly should one be selected?
Actually isn't that very problematic?
And doesn't that bring into question the very idea of the inherited monarchy.
How do they start?
They all did.

Aren't they started in yucky ways?

No i dont think everyone should have one
We are fortunate to have who we have as Queen

But i think if something is working (a system of government) then why change for the want of change

I know we cant discuss politics any more but ive always viewed some republicanism talk here to be a smokescreen hiding unpopular political agendas

I like the Westminster system of government

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I mean we have HM the Queen and being part of the Commonwealth in Australia. But Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is kinda like our royal so to speak haha.

I feel sorry for Mary
That dreadful new idea is full of such cr*p, if its not Mary its Camilia

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I feel sorry for Mary
That dreadful new idea is full of such cr*p, if its not Mary its Camilia

Oh hahaha I was like who is this? New profile pic.. :)

Yeah I feel for her and anyone that marries into the royal family though. But in saying that, Mary is the closest thing to a royal that we have. The British royals are kinda here by default and still quite detached from us Aussies. Mary was born and raised in Australia so it's like having your family marry into royalty hahaha.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

i don't think Americans consider her a royal or even a major celebrity necessarily. i think the closest US equivalent would be dynastic families like Kennedy/Bush/Rockefeller

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No i dont think everyone should have one
We are fortunate to have who we have as Queen

Huh?
... you're fortunate to have a good example of a thing that not every country should have?
I'm scratching my head here.

I agree she is an excellent example (especially at doing her difficult job) but why exactly should some other countries not have what you claim to be fortunate to have?

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do not have a choice in what the media puts out there but I can control what I read.
Just for the hay of it since this thread keeps on popping up, I looked into who they are for about 30 seconds and my new answer is:
Who cares.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who cares.

Many.
You don't - which is perfectly fine.

Monarchy is kinda like religion.
There is no logical reason anyone should believe in (or fall for) either.
Yet zillions still do.
Why?
Because their parents (aka the software programers who write the operating systems for every newborn brain) did.
Similarly drugs make certain folks feel good.
Who wouldn't want eternal life, et al.

People just vary.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh?
... you're fortunate to have a good example of a thing that not every country should have?
I'm scratching my head here.

I agree she is an excellent example (especially at doing her difficult job) but why exactly should some other countries not have what you claim to be fortunate to have?

I mean i have no wish to force my opinions and prefrences onto other countries
It can be a fairly emotive subject

You country has done well out on its own - Financially the GB of George 111 were better off without you and you now have a warm fuzzy special friendship with the former mother country

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results