shape
carat
color
clarity

What do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

destarr

Rough_Rock
Ok a while ago I posted a couple of diamonds and I got some help. Someone said they needed to see the sarin report to help me so here it is for this diamond (unfortunately the one I wanted was sold).

Round Brilliant
.84 size
EGL-cert
Color- I
Clarity- SI2
Depth 62.8
Table-58
polish-gd
symmetry-vg
culet- N
Girdle M,F
Flourescence-None
Measurements-5.97x6.03x3.77

Price- 1700

I want to know what I have and I want to know if the sarin report and the info above match. They told me over the phone that it is o.k. and normal for the sarin to overestimate the weight. How does this stone look, what would you want to know before you bought this diamond, why? Thaks for your help again, I hope to be buying soon, time is running out
wavey.gif

sarin report.jpg

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
It seems odd to me that the table percents would be so different. Is it really the same stone?

The price is pretty darn good! Maybe too good.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its not the right report/cert for the diamond listed.
Way too much of it is off.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.9 - Excellent - within TIC range

Well, assuming it is the correct stone, it sounds great. As far as the differences in the depth and table, I would not panic yet -- see what the experts say, but very minute differences in the mm measured will result in different table and depth percentages -- have someone match the inclusions in your stone to the inclusions in your cert to verify it's the same, but please don't run off crying fraud until you've had a jeweler locate your inclusions with a loupe. Notice that the width and depth are only 0.1 or 0.2 mm off -- that's 1 or 2/100 of a centimeter. I don't know what the original table reading was (3.45mm?), but it may be that the sarin was using the average while the cert was using the widest part. Again, 0.06mm would seem to be a noticeable difference, but in actuality is only 6/100 of a centimeter. Remember that humans take these measurements.
1.gif

Plus, the price is not "too good" for an EGL certed stone. A 0.84 I SI2 EGL stone is going on pricescope for $1640-$1822.

destarr

Rough_Rock
OK-strmrdr- Why is is not?

I wondered why things were different myself, so I called and the lady told me that the sarin machines can be calibrated differently and can give a bit different results (this was conserning the weight)

BTW-this person is a vendor whom you all have praised, so please do not be quick to assume that the person is trying to rip me off.I.E.- I really want to know about this stone, not try and figure out if it is the right one or not-BUT..... If you are very positive that this is not the same stone, then tell me why you think this--

Thanks again

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why does the EGL say .84ct I SI2 and the handwriting on the Sarin label say .86ct I SI2? That is not an estimated weight by formula but someone's handwriting.

Rhino

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Based on the discrepancies, I would recommend that you past on the diamond. In addition, if the measurements are accurate for the particular diamond, I would still pass on the diamond based on the girdle measurements.

rodent.gif

destarr

Rough_Rock
Is this a very thick girdle? noticible?

destarr

Rough_Rock
Is it even possible to have two different weights? She said the one was actual(EGL)and the other was somehow done by the sarin machine-or was calculated from I assume.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask the vendor to come here and explain what is up with this one if they would.
There might be a simple explaination.
With no further information Id run away from this deal because one result or the other is way off or they arent for the same diamond.
Why?,,,,, I dunno...

destarr

Rough_Rock
What questions would you ask to verify that this is the same stone?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/21/2003 9:07:26 PM destarr wrote:

What questions would you ask to verify that this is the same stone? ----------------

I wouldnt bother Id just look for a less questionable diamond.
I would like to know which vendor it is.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
SFD Trading....is that who ran the Sarin? They don't sell to the general public looks like from their website.

That said, I don't think the numbers look that off. It's not atypical for a Sarin to have different numbers from the report...especially since this is an EGL graded diamond, who really knows how accurate they are. If the Sarin was run by a reputable vendor, I'd be much more inclined to take their numbers as the ones to follow.

The table does not seem that much off either. The labs round up, so if the Sarin said 56.x then they would round up for the cert to 57. Sure the cert says 58, but again, EGL lab so who knows. Also Sarins are calibrated differently, hence how sometimes there can be wrong numbers. But again, this goes to trusting your vendor...if you feel comfortable with them, that's great.

The stone is a little deep with an almost 63% depth & the girdle is a bit of a wide range but the average is not bad, what did the vendor say about that? The diameters are very close, the depth is on the money, etc. I don't see why the others would say this is not the same stone.

One thing to consider is that it's an EGL lab graded 'I' color and SI2 clarity. Make sure it's I and not J or K and that the clarity is really SI2 and eye clean...again sometimes lax from EGL labs.

Lastly, price is very good for this stone, could be because it's a slightly off-make, not quite ideal...but probably still looks pretty good. If you are tight on budget and maximizing size...this could be an option. I would get the vendor's honest opinion on looks of the stone, also an IdealScope image...because if it's a vendor that is often spoken of highly on this forum--most of those vendors have IS's and can give you that image. That may be the deciding factor...what's the light return like?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/22/2003 3:01:33 AM Mara wrote:

I agree. The numbers aren't that off. My stone was certed at 3.01. The stone weighed over 3.02. The real story as Mara pointed out is the depth & thick girdle. It's not necessarily a bad stone for the money - just that some of the weight will be hidden.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
While this diamond is probably sparkly, it may leak light around the girdle. It's also carrying weight in the bottom that no one will see. The extra depth will affect the performance of the diamond and it's visual appearance. This .84 carat will look like other 3/4 carat well cut diamonds.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results