shape
carat
color
clarity

What do I do with 2 pairs of spinels?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been looking for a really pretty red cushion shaped spinel of approx 1 ct for a year now to "round" up my set: 1 pair for earrings, 1 for a ring and 1 for a pendant. I already have a pair of 1.79cttw and 0.94ct red spinel to make this "set".

Lo and behold, a very pretty pair just caught my attention today so now I am debating getting a second set of red spinels.
11.gif
However, what would I do with it when I really only need one spinel? They are 1.84cttw cushion shaped. I don't want to add diamond(s) to the set as I want the red spinels to be the main focus.

SP-5566B.jpg

Aren't they so pretty? I don't mind a touch of orange as I think it helps brighten the red colour. What do you think of the cut and colour? Should I forget them and just shop for a single red spinel? It's just so tempting because red spinel pairs are so hard to find, yet I don't know what that to do with them since I already have a pair that are destined as earrings.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Those are gorgeous.
Do you mind my asking how much the vendor is charging? (I''m interested in red spinel for a RHR.)
Do you know any good vendors - which ones have you gone with?

Scintillating...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I know what you mean, as I have been eyeing those beauties myself....
Why not set a pair into a ring? Something delicate could be made with these sizes of stones...antique looking or bypass perhaps...all you''d see is dreamy red.......mmmmm

cheers--Sharon

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could see those as a beautiful pair of leverback earrings, yummy! Beautiful color on those spinels.

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
One looks considerably lighter than the other on my monitor.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2006 7:17:20 PM
Author: C Smith

Hey C

Take another look. I think the one on the left has a touch more extinction than the one on the right, and the one on the right possibly having a little pink/orange modifier in it?

Rockdoc...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scintillating,

These are from www.acstones.com I''ve purchased all my red spinels from Barbara and she has competitive prices, you just need to know what you are looking for. The really nice ones cost more $/carat and the not so well cut/coloured ones are priced accordingly. She sometimes has additional discounts; like 10% monthly specials for certain types of coloured stones or spend a certain amount and you''ll get a certain % discount. She also has a very good return policy, no questions asked, if it isn''t what you expected. The pictures on her website are quite true to colour from my personal experience.

Another vendor that I enjoy dealing with is Gary from www.diamondexpert.com Although I ended up not buying from him, his return policies are also good and he is great to deal with. If he happens to have the right red spinel, I would not hesitate to buy from him.

If you are willing to plunk down some serious dough for top red spinels, Wink at www.winkjones.com is another trusted vendor who understands coloured stones.

Rockdoc & C Smith,

Yes, I noticed the slight difference in colours. They are not cut from the same rough and so are just a little different. I do wonder how noticeable it is in person? I''ll have to ask the vendor. Perhaps if set as earrings, it won''t be as obvious. I have another pair that is super identical, so maybe I can set THAT pair as a bypass ring?

To All,

Isn''t having 2 stones sized 5mm x 5mm together in a ring rather large and gaudy?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2006 9:18:36 AM
Author: Chrono
Scintillating,

Isn''t having 2 stones sized 5mm x 5mm together in a ring rather large and gaudy?
No, not with a 6-7mm diamond in the middle!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I am also on the look out for really nice red spinel.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2006 9:18:36 AM
Author: Chrono
HI:

In general I would say no, but in specific only you know what you would prefer and could tolerate. Two stones of this size could be set very simply and tastefully whereby the emphasis would still remain on the stones/color and would be no more "gaudy" should one have choosen another stone of slighly larger dimension. Of course this is just my HO and there are so many things on which that question "depends".......

Good luck on your decision!

cheers--Sharon

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/2/2006 10:26:32 PM
Author: RockDoc

Date: 11/2/2006 7:17:20 PM
Author: C Smith

Hey C

Take another look. I think the one on the left has a touch more extinction than the one on the right, and the one on the right possibly having a little pink/orange modifier in it?

Rockdoc...

You are right of course. I saw the pinkish modifying color on the right bottom-left and the extinction on the left bottom-left and my brain typed "lighter" without explaining the situation in the gemologically correct terms. Thanks for keeping me straight RockDoc
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results