shape
carat
color
clarity

What do 3 stone engagement rings represent?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone. I read a blog, or some advertising, I don''t remember what it was, saying the 3 stones of a 3 stone ring represent, "past," "present," and "future." Have you heard this?

I think of the two side stones as representing sentinels guarding the stone in the middle, but maybe that''s just me. Thanks!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think people like to make up meaning for stuff, specially for advertising. The three stone ring design is quite old. It also works very well, which is why it is still around.

Sorry, I am not the person to talk about meanings to. I even hate the idea of a birthstone!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Money, Lots of Money, more Money.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
You, him (her), the other...
11.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"past, present, and the future." HUSBAND !!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2009 12:50:46 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Money, Lots of Money, more Money.

LOL! But... I think you nailed it!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard they represent past present and future. I have also heard that they represent the two members of the couple and their union together (A, B and A plus B, if you know what I mean). One girl told me that she thought of hers as representing the Trinity, Father Son and Holy Spirit.

I don''t know what they represent, but I do know that an even number of stones tends to look funny. I have seen attractive three, five and seven stone rings, but I haven''t seen attractive two stone rings, if you know what I mean.

I have got used to seeing three stones as wedding and engagement or anniversary rings, although they are a relatively new thing, I remember when an engagement ring was ''supposed'' to be a solitaire--or at least to have only one large central stone. I don''t think it really matters though, so long as having something on your left ring finger gives a signal that you''re not in the market anymore in our culture. Which is the point of the whole thing.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Good/ funny answers in this thread, some ideas I hadn''t though of before. Thanks all!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly never thought of the number of stones in my engagement ring as symbolizing anything since a chance discussion with my husband (then my fiancé) when his mother burst into tears in her kitchen after we had bought said ring!

My ring, as some of you know, is a tiny 18K gold oval with two 1-point diamonds inside it. We got it because we could afford it and it was pretty, not for any symbolism. It had certainly never been intended as an engagement ring.

When we discussed his mother''s having burst into tears, my husband said that it was because there wasn''t a diamond for her inside the ring (i.e. that there were two and not three).

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of the ring in case you are having trouble envisioning it!

AGBF
34.gif

AGBFEngagementRingItalia.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/2/2009 3:01:14 AM
Author: AGBF

I honestly never thought of the number of stones in my engagement ring as symbolizing anything since a chance discussion with my husband (then my fiancé) when his mother burst into tears in her kitchen after we had bought said ring!

My ring, as some of you know, is a tiny 18K gold oval with two 1-point diamonds inside it. We got it because we could afford it and it was pretty, not for any symbolism. It had certainly never been intended as an engagement ring.

When we discussed his mother''s having burst into tears, my husband said that it was because there wasn''t a diamond for her inside the ring (i.e. that there were two and not three).

AGBF
34.gif
His mother thought she should be a part of your marriage? That is very odd!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 2:15:28 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Date: 5/2/2009 3:01:14 AM

AGBF

34.gif

That she thought she should be part of the ring- I''ve never heard of that.

WHJI147

Rough_Rock
It''s simple. Past, Present and Future.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
The need for finger coverage.
11.gif
9.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, dani, you beat me to it! Yupp - I agree, additional finger coverage.
3.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2009 11:30:24 AM
Author: Elmorton
Ugh, dani, you beat me to it! Yupp - I agree, additional finger coverage.
3.gif
LOL! Great minds think alike.
9.gif

Racer_x_1981

Rough_Rock
I was reading this and a couple funny things came to mind... on a three stone...

You, her and her mom, lol. (not the case with my FF but dreadfully a vivid nightmare of my first marriage)

Hopefully the number of diamonds don''t represent people... for a variety of reasons but my FF''s ring has diamonds on the band and I spit my drink up that those were for each child we were to have...

It''s Friday, guess I am in a silly mood:)

Racer_x_1981

Rough_Rock
I was reading this and a couple funny things came to mind... on a three stone...

You, her and her mom, lol. (not the case with my FF but dreadfully a vivid nightmare of my first marriage)

Hopefully the number of diamonds don''t represent people... for a variety of reasons but my FF''s ring has diamonds on the band and I spit my drink up that those were for each child we were to have...

It''s Friday, guess I am in a silly mood:)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/2/2009 2:25:23 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date:
5/2/2009 2:15:28 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

Date:
5/2/2009 3:01:14 AM

When we discussed his mother's having burst into tears, my husband said that it was because there wasn't a diamond for her inside the ring (i.e. that there were two and not three).

AGBF

She isn't the only one who thinks this way. LOL Deb the ring is wonderful, very sentimental, I'd say. :)
Somehow I don't think she's the only mother who has ever felt this way about her son ;-).

AGBF
34.gif

MotherAndSon.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
In Hollywood a 3 stone ring doesn''t mean past, present, future, it means: Yesterday, today and tomorrow. As in tomorrow at noon!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results