shape
carat
color
clarity

what' difference between round and oval???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

john wolf

Rough_Rock
I am going to buy an engagement ring real soon. My girlfriend said she wants a oval, but i don't know if there is a difference. I read the web site and am quite confused, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much (any ballpark figure would help) i would pay for a oval diamond, probably around a carat or a little less on a somewhat plain platinum band. I am nervous about going shopping for the fear of "car salesman" techniques and I will probably get taken to the cleaners......any help would be GREATLY appreciated....john

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi John,
You probably know already that rounds are usually more brilliant and more popular than any fancy shapes.
However some people prefer other than round shapes and ovals can be very nice too. You have to watch for bowtie effect though when buying oval, pear or marquise shapes.

I checked prices for 1 carat G-SI1 rounds and oval. On average ovals are about 20% or $1,000 less expensive than rounds...
There can be several reasons for that: popularity, weight retention, availability of the rough, etc.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Well, this is what I found out for 1 ct G-SI1.Rounds from $4k to $6k while Ovals from $3k to $5k.Interestingly, ovals are not as deep as princess so they can still look large for its weight.

mbn

Shiny_Rock
Ovals are 20% less expensive than round? I thought princess cut is 10% less expensive and even less expensive than oval?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results