shape
carat
color
clarity

what did you do with your wedding dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

calidaisy

Shiny_Rock
hi everyone,

this is my first post here.
2.gif

i got married last september and don''t know what to do with my wedding dress.

i still love looking at it (albeit, it''s in a box now--part of me wants to rip the box apart and try it on again) but i''m wondering if i should just sell it and use the money for something else rather than let it decrease in value over time or worse, become "the hideous dress from 2008."

i thought i''d ask here (as opposed to BWW) since you guys might be more detached to your dresses and might give me more rational opinion or share what you did with your dress.

thanks!

9.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Mine''s in a dry-cleaning bag in a cupboard in my mum''s house.
she''s got an old-fashioned farm, and I''m worried that it''s covered in mould.
32.gif

I have to remind her to bring it home to me, now that''s she''s making the flight over, I miss it now. Somehow, the dress gets more important the longer the marriage lasts... hope it''s in good nick!!!! I''m glad I didn''t sell it or cut it / dye it.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is sitting in my cupboard under the stairs in a bag. 22 years later it is fine has endured 10 moves and still looks great. But I hate it and it is so not me but was the'' look'' in the 80''s. I just know my DD will borrow it one day for a funny uni party or something lol

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I tried to consign it for a sale in 1990 and 1 day the owner asked me if the woman interested could take it home for the weekend to decide. I said no! The woman herself called pleading and then I asked when she was getting married and she hesitated and proceeded to give me a date. I checked the calendar and it was the middle of the week so I thought, OK she is going to borrow my dress for her wedding this weekend. I said if she wants it she can buy it outright. Long story short, I picked it up the same day from the consignment shop and it has been sitting in the back of my closet ever since. It is from 1989.Maybe someday it can be called vintage?

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I sold mine on ebay to another PSer!! It was a Melissa Sweet gown so this was easy to do and i re-gained a good portion of the original cost.
Part of me is sad about it, but i kept it for a year and only once looked at it, so i have no major regrets.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mine is boxed under my bed. both of my girls have said they want to wear it when they get married but my guess is by then they will want something of their own. plus, they will both probably be a lot taller then me and it would be to short.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is in my cedar chest. If I were you, I''d sell it. The only other good use I could see would be if you could find someone to make a christening gown out of it if you have kids down the line. Otherwise, you''ll just be storing it for years and years.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is hanging up in an extra closet in our house. I plan to do what DH''s cousins do--every anniversary she puts on her dress, he rents a tux, they take a picture of themselves, and go out all dolled up. (She''s had three babies since they married, so she just held the dress up in front of herself those years.) It''s been over ten years and she still fits into the dress!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I splurged on my dress (by my standards since I tend to be very practical), and rationalized that I would sell it. Turned out I didn''t and now that I have a little baby girl, I can''t help but wonder if she''d like to wear it one day, so I''ll keep it (it''s very classic looking).

However, when I was looking at options, I found that there''s a store here in nyc (Bridal Garden) where you can donate your dress. I believe they re-sell it and proceeds go to a childrens charity. You can then write it off on your tax return. I liked the idea of that because it helps you (tax return), children, and brides with smaller budgets. You could also of course just sell it on ebay, craigslist as others have.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Mine is tucked away under our guest bed in a box/tissue paper that's made for archiving quilts/clothing - I found it on Amazon.com. I originally spent a ton of money to have it in one of those "bridal boxes" where there's a window to see your dress, but I found it depressing, and since I had a tea-length dress, the box was WAY too big for the dress and it rattled around and got all wrinkled, which wasn't conducive to preserving it..

DH and I have talked about doing Haven's friend's idea - get dressed up in our fancy bridal clothes and order take out (I don't have the cajones for going out in public), but we're both afraid of spilling. I've tried it on once since putting it away - just because. I like the fact that I can play dress up in my beautiful dress whenever I want (I never grew out of dress-up).

I'm not really planning on truly preserving it - if I have a daughter someday, I hope she'll pick out her own dress that she loves, but I do want to preserve the veil in hopes someone down the line might want to wear it. It's gorgeous upon gorgeous. But, I do want to hold on to the dress for sentimental reasons - so no plans to destroy it/use the fabric for something or give it away. My mom's still hangs in the back of her closet, and when I was little, I'd beg her to take it out just so I could touch it and hear the story of my parents' wedding day. It was a really sweet bonding thing and memories that I cherish.

dreaming of the day

Shiny_Rock
I am not yet married, as my wedding isn''t until August; however, we have a wonderful tradition in my family. The wedding dress is used to make your first born''s basinet and baptism clothes.

I can''t wait to do that. I am not pregnant yet, but the day I become preggers I am going to start. I am going to use my veil to be draped over the basinet - ooh just thinking about it, makes excited!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Mine is shoved into the guest room closet. I''ve been saying I''m going to sell it since before the wedding. I need to get it dry cleaned and listed on Ebay. It''s a J Crew dress that I got for a steal of a deal (like $70). It wasn''t my dream dress or what I would have bought if I was to pay full price, but for $70 I decided I could love it enough. I figure if I get it sold for even $40 I''ll be thrilled.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Mine was preserved at the cleaners and is in a box in the closet. If we ever renew our vows, I will definitely want to wear it again, or if we have a daughter, I would pass it down to her if she wanted it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone JUST had this exact topic going a few weeks ago.

But to answer again, I sold it, bought bling, and don''t regret it!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Mine''s sitting in the closet. Got married last year too. No idea what to do with it so it''ll sit there until I figure something out. I can''t see myself saving it forever or thinking anyone else will wear it. But I also don''t want to just get rid of it????
Sorry I was no help
1.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t want to part from mine, but I guess that does sort of make it "clutter" since I''ll probably never wear it again.

One time my mom got out her wedding dress (she weighed 103 at the time), and my SIL declared that I should try it on. The darn thing didn''t fit, which made my mother coo, "Oh my, was I smaller than YOU are?" while my SIL declared, "OMG, you HAVE to wear that when you get married!" Note to self: do not force future daughter to try on wedding dress.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 1:58:22 PM
Author: Elmorton
DH and I have talked about doing Haven's friend's idea - get dressed up in our fancy bridal clothes and order take out (I don't have the cajones for going out in public), but we're both afraid of spilling. I've tried it on once since putting it away - just because. I like the fact that I can play dress up in my beautiful dress whenever I want (I never grew out of dress-up).

You guys are still in IL, right? I'll come out and go gallivanting around in wedding dresses with you! I never outgrew dress-up, either.
(I'm still planning on throwing a White Party in a year or so, then everyone can put on the old wedding dress and flounce around!)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 11:00:34 AM
Author: mrssalvo
mine is boxed under my bed. both of my girls have said they want to wear it when they get married but my guess is by then they will want something of their own. plus, they will both probably be a lot taller then me and it would be to short.

You never know - they might really end up wanting to wear it - I''ve got a good friend who is getting married in October and she is having her mom''s wedding dress made over for her - it won''t be exactly the same, but she is keeping a lot of the original dress. I think its really sweet
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Oh! And to answer the question - I sold my dress. It was too big for me (by about 3-4 sizes) and I don''t ever want to go back to being that size. So I sold it and bought a digital camera, and I don''t regret it at all
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I eloped in Vegas and wore a short black Betsy Johnson dress and found myself walking around in 90 degree heat, nearly dying! lol The dress is stored in a box in a storage room we have.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 4:48:17 PM
Author: neatfreak

But to answer again, I sold it, bought bling, and don''t regret it!
Hey, me too!
9.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine has been dry cleaned and it was shrunk in length in the process. I had it cut off to tea length and thought about dying it, but haven''t been brave enough to do that yet. I did have the chance to sell it for what I paid for it, but I just couldn''t do it. It''s shaped more like an evening dress than a wedding gown so I hope to wear it again, either ivory to a formal event, or dyed, for a less formal event.

If it had been shrunk I would have dyed it without cutting it, I think. Then it would have made the perfect evening dress.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I am not married yet but my dress is two pieces and the top is all lace. I plan on finding an amazing skirt so I can wear the top to something blacktie or on our anniversary for years to come. (and that works as a good plan to stay in shape)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 9:14:33 PM
Author: Haven
Date: 4/2/2009 1:58:22 PM

Author: Elmorton

DH and I have talked about doing Haven''s friend''s idea - get dressed up in our fancy bridal clothes and order take out (I don''t have the cajones for going out in public), but we''re both afraid of spilling. I''ve tried it on once since putting it away - just because. I like the fact that I can play dress up in my beautiful dress whenever I want (I never grew out of dress-up).

You guys are still in IL, right? I''ll come out and go gallivanting around in wedding dresses with you! I never outgrew dress-up, either.

(I''m still planning on throwing a White Party in a year or so, then everyone can put on the old wedding dress and flounce around!)

LOL Haven, we''re in IA now but still about as close to Chicago as we were before. I''m down for gallivanting! AND I love that you''re calling out your inner P.Diddy (or is it back to Puff Daddy? I can never keep track) for a white party. Sounds fabulous!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Mine has been sitting in a closet at my parents'' house for almost 14 years. Next time we go down to visit, I really should dig it out and bring it home.

calidaisy

Shiny_Rock
thanks for all your great responses.
1.gif

i still don''t know what i should do with mine ... but i don''t feel all that rushed to make a decision anymore.
i think i''ll enjoy its presence under my bed for now.
9.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one I wore is hanging in the closet-I never did get it cleaned and packed away and noticed there''s some weird stains on it..so I''m not sure if I''ll be able to wear it when we renew our vows for our 10 year. The one I started with is packed away someplace, I''ve no clue where. It has such a pretty embroidered overlay, I couldn''t bear to part with it. Doubtful my daughter would ever wear one of them-she''s 5 and already we see she''s going to be tall like her daddy not short like mommy!

Class n Sass

Shiny_Rock
Mine is in a box in my old bedroom closet at my mom''s house. I said I was going to sell because I know I will never wear it again. Someone told me to save it for my daughter, but I honestly doubt that she will want to wear my wedding dress. I had it dry cleaned and boxed almost immediately after the wedding. I think I will seriously look into doing it real soon since my 1 year anniversary is in May.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 11:42:04 AM
Author: lyra
Mine is in my cedar chest. If I were you, I''d sell it. The only other good use I could see would be if you could find someone to make a christening gown out of it if you have kids down the line. Otherwise, you''ll just be storing it for years and years.

That''s exactly what I plan to do. If not, I''m going to destroy it in a TTD session with paint!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results