shape
carat
color
clarity

What diamond size says about a person?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spike13

Shiny_Rock
I''m curious what folks think. There''s been a few threads about size - what the average size is on the forums, what is the average size folks see when out and about time. So I''m curious what people''s opinions are on what the size/style of a diamond ring says to about the wearer.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the size of a stone says anything definitive about the person who is wearing it. All that the sytle says is that the person likes that particular style.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love big stones. I wear all different things, but I really love large diamonds. Not sure what that says about me though...

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 9:20:23 AM
Author: diamondfan
I love big stones. I wear all different things, but I really love large diamonds. Not sure what that says about me though...

I am going to go with that it means you love large diamonds
10.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 9:24:34 AM
Author: Deelight
Date: 6/6/2008 9:20:23 AM

Author: diamondfan

I am going to go with that it means you love large diamonds
10.gif
I was going to say that too!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whether anyone want to say this or not, to some extent it is like houses and can be an indicator of socio-economic level (I know, not 100% of the time, but generally). Even if I wanted to wear a 5 ct. Tiffany or Cartier ring, I couldn't, because it might cost more than my house!

I'll add that style is the other factor that you may be able to make some assumptions about.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock

I don’t think the size of a diamond says anything about the wear more than her style. I think trying to sum up a person by such a small object of style, might lead you into prejudging someone character wrongly.

I love diamond and jewelry. I currently wear a .98, however hope to upgrade to a 3 ct. I am also an avid kayaker, vegan, and volunteer my time to causes that I respect. I doubt some one would surmise all that by my e-ring.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 9:43:19 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Whether anyone want to say this or not, to some extent it is like houses and can be an indicator of socio-economic level (I know, not 100% of the time, but generally). Even if I wanted to wear a 5 ct. Tiffany or Cartier ring, I couldn''t, because it might cost more than my house!

I''ll add that style is the other factor that you may be able to make some assumptions about.
I agree that it can be an indicator of socio-economic level also. Also, I think style tells me a lot too whether it dates the ring to a particular decade and then tells me how long they might have been married. An ornate, vintage style ring may make a hint to me that they might be of the romantic sort. A more masculine ring may suggest that their fiance or husband picked it out for them. They''re all assumptions, though, so I don''t place a lot of weight on it. Just the kind of early assumptions you might make from what people are wearing etc.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
I know this probably isn''t the most pc thing to say but I think an overly big stone at least for someone younger sometimes can say, "I have a big stone because I need to compensate for (blank)"

Bev

Shiny_Rock
I also agree that it can be an indicator of socio-economic level, but I mostly agree that it depends on style. Dh and I are by no means "rich" but if we make something a priority or a goal that we will save for it. I currently wear a .81 but am saving for a 2.50-3ct cushion. I love them all - it just depends on my mood! LOL

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think the style, and definitely NOT the size of a diamond, means anything about the wearer. It could be a diamond that was inherited by Grandma, or could come from many sources. I mean, if you run into a woman at the grocery store, and she is wearing a large pear shape diamond, let''s pretend... I would immediately think "wow, she has great taste". Period!! Some people could question the size of It I suppose. They could wonder if it was inherited, if the lady won a lottery or came into money and treated herself, maybe hubby bought it as a gift, or maybe it isn''t even a diamond. It doens''t really matter, because it says nothing about the lady wearing it!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
A larger diamond may be an indicator of socio-economic status. Because diamonds are expensive, and people can afford them only after the necessities of life are paid for. When I was young, I wore a very small diamond. The larger diamond that I wear now shows that we have been doing reasonably well in life. And, that I happen to love pretty jewelry.

I don''t think that if a diamond is small, that the woman is loved any less by her husband. But, a woman with lots of beautiful jewelry may well have a husband who loves her and loves her in jewelry.

Nothing for sure here, so you really mustn''t make any assumptions when you see a person wearing large or small diamonds.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn''t say anything about a person. You put judgements on yourself and others, but the size of a diamond ring means nothing. Personally, when I see any diamond ring on someone, I just want to see the style and the sparkle. Purely almost clinical detachment. I live in an affluent city where there are doubtless women rocking the mega carats in their social circles, but they most definitely don''t shop at the local mall or grocery stores, so I rarely ever see that stuff. Sometimes if I see something around 2cts I just wonder to myself if it''s real or not. But again, clinical. Honestly, I dress like a bag lady most of the time, purely for comfort, so I suspect people might look at my ring and just assume it''s fake too. I don''t care. I appreciate all diamonds!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 12:51:19 PM
Author: Peepa
I know this probably isn't the most pc thing to say but I think an overly big stone at least for someone younger sometimes can say, 'I have a big stone because I need to compensate for (blank)'
9.gif
Not always, but sometimes.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 12:51:19 PM
I know this probably isn''t the most pc thing to say but I think an overly big stone at least for someone younger sometimes can say, ''I have a big stone because I need to compensate for (blank)''
Lol, the first thing that came to my mind when I read this was "I have a big stone because HE needed to compensate for blank!"
*I would never think this by seeing a larger stone but thought it was funny !!*
3.gif

Quite honestly, I don''t think much about someone else''s social status or life style by their ring. I know people that are well off who do not think much about "possessions" and I know others who live well beyond their means by trying to have luxuries they can''t afford. I don''t think you can judge (or shouldn''t) something like that.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, Ooh! Is it the same as the shoe size??

2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t be naughty. I was thinking of inadequacies in other areas, like salary etc.
2.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 5:13:48 PM
Author: Harriet
Don''t be naughty. I was thinking of inadequacies in other areas, like salary etc.
2.gif

Who''s being naughty?? Big shoes= big feet, big diamonds=big hands.

Which means, I should be wearing a HUGE diamond!

12.gif

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
lol.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
9.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think at first glance, because of sterotypes, people make assumptions about socio-economic status with bigger diamonds, but it is really not a great marker. Somepeople I know have large, high quality diamonds because of their familiy''s status and not really their own. I also know several weathy people who still have their <1ct rings from 20 years ago because either jewelry is not a priority to them, or they want to keep their original rings. I really don''t think I can make any assumptions about anyone based on what they wear.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Ok, how do you guys copy and paste the original message onto your message?
Or any message you want to reply to?
It''s in blue. I can''t figure it out.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I really agree that the size doesn''t say much - I think it''s often perceived as an indication of socio-economic level, as others have pointed out. But, for my generation, it can just as well be an indicator of the kind of debt people are accruing. I will say that age/diamond size in combination can raise my eyebrows. On an older woman, a large rock probably isn''t going to shock anyone. On a younger woman, I think it''s a lot more likely that people will talk and say nasty things, such as inquiring how her partner can afford it, speculate how much it cost, think that the woman or the couple is trying to send a message about status, etc.

I think it''s interesting that people equate the diamond as reflecting the parter more than the wearer (I am STILL haunted my one of my close friends telling me that my plain band would deflect people from trying to guess what my husband makes!). There are plenty of women on PS whose partner could care less and has nothing to do with her jewelry purchases, and I think this is probably true of a lot of people.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Doubtful about correlation. Lots of folks inherit precious and expensive gems--what can be siad other than they inherited nice pieces? Oh and the items itself say little about the person as much as other people do!
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
In a way, almost everything we have is to show off to some degree.
Would we really be buying expensive jewelry if we were alone on an island? Or nice clothes or shoes or watches?
I don''t necessarily judge ppl on the looks of their rings but I do look and I do form opinions.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know people think I am young to have my stone, but I love it so I figure they can get to know me before making any assumptions! If not, not my problem. I am who I am...that is the way it is!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Well, actually, if we''re being completely honest, size will say a lot to us. Maybe it won''t say the same thing to everyone, but it does have a voice.

If someone is really young, and we have a pretty good idea that their net worth isn''t all that much, we might think "how can they afford that?" We might wonder if they were motivated by the idea of "keeping up with the Joneses". How much of their purchase was based on a "look at me, look at what I''m worth" mentality?

If someone is much older, 40s and beyond, we generally assume that they can afford the ring, so we just admire the bling. But, again, being completely honest here, I''ve thought about the absolutely astronomical cost of some of the rings I''ve seen here on PS, and been flumoxed as to why anyone would pay that price for one piece of jewelry. It''s not that I don''t admire them; I just get bemused now and then at a really outrageous piece, or at someone who has a different w-set for every mood/day of the week.

And let''s be fair, ''cause we have ideas about the less fortunate as well . . . when we see someone with one of those teeny-tiny, bought at KMart, WalMart, or JC Penney sets, we feel sorry for them. We wouldn''t want to have that set. And, we have assumed, sometimes, that the person wearing that set might just be ''low-rent'' in other ways.

We all know people, who -- in our opinion -- are trying too hard to compensate for something by being more ''over-the-top'' than the crowd they hang with. Those folks who have to be first, have the best, do the most in their sphere of influence. You know someone like that. We all do. Sometimes it''s the guy who has to bejewel the wife for his own self-esteem among peers.

And, sometimes, it is just about the jewelry. Pieces/stones speak to us. You just know when a piece is yours. Then our only motivation is to be in communion with it. The stones we love are natural earth made gems that seem to have a soul . . . just like all nature. We long to be part of it, to make it part of us. When it''s our stone, size has nothing to do with it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
In the UK, absolutely nothing.

Anything bigger than a 1.5ct diamond here and everyone assumes it's fake unless you're a footballer's wife in which case it's "celebrity" (if you can call them that) tack...

You certainly can't tell much about socio-economics. I'm doing an e-ring right now for a guy who's a hedgefunder. His budget is $8k. It tie in with what most of my peer group (all bankers/professionals/doctors on 6 figure GBP salaries in their mid 30's) are spending. Most men in the UK would consider that a pretty decent amount - certainly above the average.

Coloured stones tend to get more attention here than diamonds on the whole.

E-rings are more tokens here - it seals the deal rather than being the deal.

I'm considered a gem freak by my friends.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 5:57:32 PM
In a way, almost everything we have is to show off to some degree.
Would we really be buying expensive jewelry if we were alone on an island? Or nice clothes or shoes or watches?
I don''t necessarily judge ppl on the looks of their rings but I do look and I do form opinions.
Buying it? Heck I''d be digging for it if necessary.
9.gif

99% of the jewellery I own never leaves it''s box and most of my pet rocks aren''t even set.

I buy them purely for my own pleasure. It''s nice to show them to people who appreciate them - I always take the latest purchase home to show my father who is a closet gem nut.

To be honest I don''t think I''ve ever bought anything to impress someone else except perhaps my interview suit!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
some women get their big rocks from sugar daddy
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results