shape
carat
color
clarity

What diamond size says about a person?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Some rings are "I''m sorry I messed up big time" rings or "Thanks, I owed you one and this is it."
hahahahahahaah
Didn''t Kobe Bryant buy Vanessa a huge rock cause he screwed up?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 7:05:36 PM
Author: Peepa
Some rings are ''I''m sorry I messed up big time'' rings or ''Thanks, I owed you one and this is it.''
hahahahahahaah
That''s one way to put it
3.gif

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 7:20:56 PM
Author: risingsun

Some rings are ''I''m sorry I messed up big time'' rings or ''Thanks, I owed you one and this is it.''
hahahahahahaah
That''s one way to put it
3.gif
It sure beats flowers and candy, lol!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hahahahahahaah
Someone in my circle has one of these. Believe me, I''d rather have nothing than have to wear that ring (2.5cts) because of what it meant. It''s sad too, because she kind of hides it and doesn''t want any attention over it at all. I think it brings up bad memories.
38.gif

I don''t feel sorry for the Kmart Walmart folks! Hey, if that was the best they could do and it was given in love, who cares! I know younger women who want the committment so much more than the nice ring. Good for them!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 5:47:04 PM
Ok, how do you guys copy and paste the original message onto your message?
Or any message you want to reply to?
It''s in blue. I can''t figure it out.
Hi peepa,

When you see a post you want to address, hit the Reply button above it. Then once the reply box has opened, hit the Quote button up to the left. That will bring the post into your reply box. Type your response and submit!
28.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
It doesn't say much to me, to be honest, certainly not in regard to one's financial situation. I know well-off people (joint income of $2-3m a year) whose wives wear .25 chips and plain gold bands. And on the flip side, I know young lawyers, doctors, bankers--the ones just about making $150k--who forked out $$$ for two- and three-carat rings for their fiancees.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 6:19:02 PM
Author: diamondfan
I know people think I am young to have my stone, but I love it so I figure they can get to know me before making any assumptions! If not, not my problem. I am who I am...that is the way it is!
DF -- I love your style!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet and Dancing Fire, you both crack me up!!!
9.gif

Linda

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is not very nice of me, but if I see a big rock (3cts+) on a young hand my first thought is "simulant."

7.gif

It's fleeting, and I do feel bad, but honestly if it were me wanting that size stone, that's how I'd get it! I'd have no other option
3.gif

Honestly though, here in LA, age means so little about net worth that I suppose it doesn't make sense for me to think that way. People are often worth more at 20 than they are at 60, because everyone makes their millions while they're young and hot then twiddles it away on... well, diamonds
9.gif
(among other things
2.gif
)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 4:14:53 AM
Author:spike13
I''m curious what folks think. There''s been a few threads about size - what the average size is on the forums, what is the average size folks see when out and about time. So I''m curious what people''s opinions are on what the size/style of a diamond ring says to about the wearer.
I don''t think an engagement ring CAN say anything about the wearer unless you know the owner and what''s behind the store of the ring. A person''s engagement ring could have been given to her during her college years, it could be her 3rd upgrade but with her first husband, or her thrid engagement ring by her third husband. Maybe the wearer got to pick it herself or she was romantically proposed to, ring and all. Or her husband could have picked out her e-ring, with no input and the wearer dislikes it but loves her husband to much to have ever said a word.

Every ring has a story and there''s no way I could guess what a woman''s ring says about her unless I know her and her life.
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
OR, it was a family stone (good or bad)..that would really have no reflection on the wearer. (except that maybe she''s sentimental)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2008 12:51:19 PM
I know this probably isn't the most pc thing to say but I think an overly big stone at least for someone younger sometimes can say, 'I have a big stone because I need to compensate for (blank)'
well......since i'm a male. ......you fill in the "BLANK"
7.gif
39.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Peeepa,
You should see the size of Dancing Fire''s koi fish collection.
9.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
there''s no offense to be taken with this, but i think that diamond size does say something about what the person values. if someone, of any age, has a big blingy ring, then it''s likely that her and/or her partner values having a blingy ring. whether it''s because of a real love of diamonds (like many are on PS) or whether it''s because they want it as a status thing, or whatever, i think that it is safe to assume that they value gems enough that they are willing to make some sort of sacrifice for it. likewise, if someone sports a diamond chip and a plain gold band, it''s pretty safe to assume that they don''t personally value big diamonds (not to be confused with not ''liking'' them) enough to sacrfice other things (other possessions, sentimentality, basic necessities, whatever, depending on the person''s position in life). i think the only exception to this would be inherited rings (which i don''t think are THAT common).

i''ll rock my 1.1 emerald cut until the day i die. my fiance made some considerable sacrifices to be able to give it to me, and i''m extremely happy with the size. he valued the size/overall aesthetic of the ring enough to make those sacrifices, but neither of us feel the desire to sink more money into it, and we likely never will. it''s just not something we value enough.

that said, i don''t really think that valuing or not valuing big diamonds says that much about a person. not that it doesn''t have the potential to though.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a large diamond because I like them and my husband knew this, and can afford to get me one. I do not make judgments about anyone else''s stone size, be it larger or smaller.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Caroline,

I LOVE your emerald cut diamond
30.gif
. Hey, I''ll trade you one of my Pad''s for it. Tee hee.
27.gif

Linda

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ring was an upgrade and a total surprise from my hubby. So can''t say it says anything about me, but sure love my hubby for giving an upgrade out of the blue.

He hints about going bigger, I say don''t you dare, this is my forever ring. What he gave me is perfect, and suits me just fine. Am lucky to have it. He''s silly.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Honestly, I''d say stone size says less to me about the wearer than almost any other aspect of a ring: it may or may not be a tip towards economic status, but I''ll never go by that alone (for all of the reasons listed by people above, from potential inheritance to potential simulant). Now, the shape of the stone? The style of the setting? The attitude with which a piece is worn? All of those will leave some kind of an impression of the wearer on me ....

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 6:48:47 PM
Author: Pandora II

Buying it? Heck I''d be digging for it if necessary.
9.gif

99% of the jewellery I own never leaves it''s box and most of my pet rocks aren''t even set.

I buy them purely for my own pleasure. It''s nice to show them to people who appreciate them - I always take the latest purchase home to show my father who is a closet gem nut.

To be honest I don''t think I''ve ever bought anything to impress someone else except perhaps my interview suit!
Pandora- I am right there with you! I just got my first real stud earrings, and while I adore them... I can''t SEE them
20.gif
Because of this, I am not sure I''ll ever go bigger or spend a significant sum on earrings again. Yesterday I was in the car with my little brother, and I could see my earrings in his mirror- and that''s the most I''ve enjoyed them yet. I''m crazy; I know!

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 12:51:19 PM
I know this probably isn''t the most pc thing to say but I think an overly big stone at least for someone younger sometimes can say, ''I have a big stone because I need to compensate for (blank)''
Haha - just what I was thinking.

And not restricted to someone younger either.

Especially those w/ red corvettes
emotion-5.gif

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 10:50:31 PM
Author: somethingshiny
OR, it was a family stone (good or bad)..that would really have no reflection on the wearer. (except that maybe she''s sentimental)
Or a dead dad stone
emdgust.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 3:35:17 AM
Author: Circe
Honestly, I''d say stone size says less to me about the wearer than almost any other aspect of a ring: it may or may not be a tip towards economic status, but I''ll never go by that alone (for all of the reasons listed by people above, from potential inheritance to potential simulant). Now, the shape of the stone? The style of the setting? The attitude with which a piece is worn? All of those will leave some kind of an impression of the wearer on me ....
Well said.

Futuremrss

Shiny_Rock
Well, maybe men look at things differently. My best friend is a professional model, and her husband is wealthy. She had a 4 ct. on with two 1 cts on either side...she was in the airport and a man was checking her out at the counter. He noticed her ring and said "I guess your man wants you to look TAKEN, TAKEN!" SO, maybe if you are a ugly troll people will think you are overcompensating...or maybe they are just jealous.

Futuremrss

Shiny_Rock
OOOH...and if I see a larger diamond, I ask where they got it. If they got it in a really cool way and did not pay way too much for it, then I think they are smart!!!

spike13

Shiny_Rock
I think the things we put on display do say things about us - whether we like it or not, or whether the conclusions others draw are accurate or not.

I think the size of the ring in combination with other aspects do in fact give an impression of a person.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2008 1:36:21 AM
Author: Futuremrss
Well, maybe men look at things differently. My best friend is a professional model, and her husband is wealthy. She had a 4 ct. on with two 1 cts on either side...she was in the airport and a man was checking her out at the counter. He noticed her ring and said ''I guess your man wants you to look TAKEN, TAKEN!'' SO, maybe if you are a ugly troll people will think you are overcompensating...or maybe they are just jealous.
Yeah, I have a friend who is now engaged to a woman who isn''t a model but who could be, and he said he wanted to get her a big ring for a few reasons, the biggest (to him) being that he wanted to inform anyone who might be checking her out that her current man has no problem at all supporting her financially, so they should just keep on walkin''.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in London where rings typically aren''t very big compared to my area of the States. If I see a large ring, over a carat or so, I typically wonder if that person is American and listen for an accent.

If it''s a larger ring on an English person it''s typically in an older style of setting so I think it''s a family ring. It could just be an vintage style but of course this never occurs to me until afterwards
20.gif

I do think style says more than anything else about the wearer.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I think if you have big diamonds, it means you like big diamonds. Not everyone that can afford a large stone wants one. That said, not eyeryone that has one can afford it! It''s all about priorities.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 1:05:37 AM
Author: diamondfan
I have a large diamond because I like them and my husband knew this, and can afford to get me one. I do not make judgments about anyone else''s stone size, be it larger or smaller.
I''m with you... I liked, he can, he did. End of story. Nothing more to it.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I don't think diamond size says anything about a person. If it's a big diamond, then that person likes big diamonds. (Yummo!) If it's a smaller diamond, that person like smaller diamonds. (Again, yummo!)

I think assumptions say more about the one assuming than the wearer. All I see when a young person has a big rock is gorgeousness. While it's not common, it's not that uncommon either. Young people earn a lot these days, many of them outearning those much older... If some don't see it that much in their circles or in their areas, then I can understand the disbelief. But it's a reality that there are lots of young people who can easily afford a large diamond.
18.gif
That's a good thing because I love looking at them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results