shape
carat
color
clarity

What crime (if any) deserves the death penalty?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just watching the news this AM (always an unpleasant endeavor which I rarely do these days) and last night around 8:30 PM in NYC a gunman opened fire on 2 police officers just sitting in their parked police car. For no reason.

Do you think that crime deserves the death penalty?
Luckily the officer will survive thanks to his quick acting partner getting him to the hospital in time.

What if that officer had died? Would the ciriminal deserve the death penalty? He opened fire on a marked police car for NO reason.

If you believe in the death penalty for any reason could you share what crimes you think deserve the death penalty?

And if you don't believe in it what are your reasons? Do you think people can be rehabilitated? Or even if you don't think they can be (and studies show they cannot be IIRC) do you think we are just as bad as the murderers by deeming who gets to live and who doesn't?

Is your philosophy an "eye for an eye" or do you disagree with that and think we all become blind when we follow that principle?
OTOH, "turning the other cheek" only works if the person has a conscience. I think that many of these murderers are sadistic psychopaths or sociopaths. One cannot rehabilitate one without a conscience.

Or do you think because there is always the possibility of putting an innocent person to death we should never take that risk to begin with?
From a financial standpoint it is more expensive to put someone to death vs keeping them in prison for life. Should that be taken into consideration?

And lastly, what if g-d forbid it was *your* loved one who was murdered. Would you feel differently about Capital Punishment?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

calvincriminal.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My point of view and I go back and forth on this...is that generally I am against the death penalty with some (important) exceptions.

1. Child rapists and murderers
2. Particularly heinous crimes that show exceptional depravity and no remorse
3. Murdering a police officer

I realize the second category I listed is open for interpretation but I am for the death penalty for such crimes.

And of course, there has to be no doubt that the person is guilty.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Child rapists and murderers
2. Particularly heinous crimes that show exceptional depravity and no remorse
3. Murdering a police officer

I agree with 1 and 2, however, not sure about 3 as I do not see why being a police officer makes any difference.

And yes to indisputable evidence that the person is guilty.

Dark subject indeed!

DK :confused2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with 1 and 2, however, not sure about 3 as I do not see why being a police officer makes any difference.

And yes to indisputable evidence that the person is guilty.

Dark subject indeed!

DK :confused2:

A police officer risks his/her life every day to protect ours and their murder is especially heinous given that fact. They risk their lives every day protecting the public safety and their murder has more severe consequences to society in general.

I am grateful for the men and women who take on such a dangerous and demanding job so we don't have to take it on ourselves. So I am coming at this from 2 perspectives. Gratitude and also the consequences their murder has to our public safety.

I look at it this way- if someone intentionally targets law enforcement officers for murder, they would likely target anyone. And IMO this makes them very dangerous individuals.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am against the death penalty for any reason. That doesn’t mean that they should keep their rights..I would want them to earn a keep inside prison....to pay for their own food and care. If they refuse to work..they don’t eat...Period...I would want it to be extremely tough for them..No visits from the outside unless it was a non-violent crime..Solitary confinement if necessary..I think prison isn’t as bad as it use to be..They get too many rights...I do not think murderers can ever be rehabilitated..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am against the death penalty for any reason. That doesn’t mean that they should keep their rights..I would want them to earn a keep inside prison....to pay for their own food and care. If they refuse to work..they don’t eat...Period...I would want it to be extremely tough for them..No visits from the outside unless it was a non-violent crime..Solitary confinement if necessary..I think prison isn’t as bad as it use to be..They get too many rights...I do not think murderers can ever be rehabilitated..

That’s one of the issues. We can never do the above imo. They are always going to have some quality of life in prison because they do have rights. I agree with you if we could do the above it would be a better system.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That’s one of the issues. We can never do the above imo. They are always going to have some quality of life in prison because they do have rights. I agree with you if we could do the above it would be a better system.

You’re right..but I still don’t believe we should decide who Iives and dies...Having tv and recreation is not a right....They could get less desirable food if they don’t cooperate..They’re still getting fed..but the guy in the next cell is having a more delicious meal because he worked..It sounds simplistic...but it would change someone’s mind that it was to their benefit to earn their keep. They have workout rooms, etc...:roll2:..They can run in place in their cell...

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough one. I’m neither for nor against the death penalty but I do think the prison system is too nice for some people. Sometimes people do things that are so horrible, I just feel like it’s not fair for them to keep living and breathing and enjoying anything resembling a decent life. So for me, I think

1. Anyone that rapes, tortures, or kills children.
2. Anyone that tortures and/or maliciously murders animals.

To me, those things can only be done by someone without any feeling or remorse. I’m sure a lot of people would disagree with me on the animal front but, to me, they are innocents...just like children. Filled with nothing but faith that someone will love them.

Alternatively, I would accept if they could come up with some truly heinous form of punishment. Something that makes their life so miserable they would have preferred to die. (Damn, I sound particularly vicious here :shock:).

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have wrestled with this subject my whole adult life.

How I feel about this vacillates, sometimes I believe in redemption and many times I feel hate for someone who could do such terrible things. I guess I lean towards the death penalty for premeditated murder, planned murder, I have never walked in the shoes of a family who's loved one was killed, some feel to forgive, some want to kill them with their own bare hands, some believe in rehabilitation.. Nothing brings your loved one back, lately I've felt like it's up to the family members to decide. I do not ever want to have to decide, because initially I am often angry and vindictive, but maybe rotting in prison is the best thing.. hard question.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough one. I’m neither for nor against the death penalty but I do think the prison system is too nice for some people. Sometimes people do things that are so horrible, I just feel like it’s not fair for them to keep living and breathing and enjoying anything resembling a decent life. So for me, I think

1. Anyone that rapes, tortures, or kills children.
2. Anyone that tortures and/or maliciously murders animals.

To me, those things can only be done by someone without any feeling or remorse. I’m sure a lot of people would disagree with me on the animal front but, to me, they are innocents...just like children. Filled with nothing but faith that someone will love them.

Alternatively, I would accept if they could come up with some truly heinous form of punishment. Something that makes their life so miserable they would have preferred to die. (Damn, I sound particularly vicious here :shock:).

Elle, I agree with you completely on the animal front. And I know that the great majority of people do not agree with us but I don’t care. Anyone that would hurt mutilate and kill innocent animals deserves to die. I take no pleasure from that (vengeance) but for me it is about justice and that it is how I feel. Not to mention someone who can do this is a dangerous individual.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have wrestled with this subject my whole adult life.

How I feel about this vacillates, sometimes I believe in redemption and many times I feel hate for someone who could do such terrible things. I guess I lean towards the death penalty for premeditated murder, planned murder, I have never walked in the shoes of a family who's loved one was killed, some feel to forgive, some want to kill them with their own bare hands, some believe in rehabilitation.. Nothing brings your loved one back, lately I've felt like it's up to the family members to decide. I do not ever want to have to decide, because initially I am often angry and vindictive, but maybe rotting in prison is the best thing.. hard question.

This is me too. I go back and forth and at the moment I am for it in the cases I outlined above. As I wrote to @elle_71125 i take no pleasure from this but rather, for me, it is how I can make it through the horrific experience of losing a loved one in this way. And keep society safe. Maybe we should let the family decide. It is a tough issue with no real right or wrong. Lots of grey. As much of life is.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have such a hard time second guessing myself with this issue. I feel like certain heinous crimes would merit it, but I don't really feel that it is justification. I wish there was a choice that was less humane than everyday prison life, and even than solitary. But there isn't, and prisoners everywhere have rights. I would like to see more cases of life sentences without the possibility of parole. Instead we have victims families having to protest every so many years, when we know certain prisoners are never going to get out, but the formality of parole hearings is still there. Basically, I'd rather see more prison reforms in North America at least, rather than upping the number of death penalty cases. Those cases drag on for decades sometimes. That doesn't seem like justice either. I don't know.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a strong believer in the importance of a just legal system and well aware of it's limitations. Ethically and intellectually I cannot argue for death penalty.

Emotionally , yes, child rapists, murderers viciously cruel torturers I want them gone.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I used to be pro death penalty, but after a crooked cook county prosecutor sent a bunch of innocent people to death row in IL I am now against it.
The justice system is to corrupt for it.
There is no longer any justice in the injustice system for anyone victims and criminals alike.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do believe in the death penalty, because the justice system isn’t working. Prison is not a deterrent, and with the soft sentencing here in the UK, a life sentence is barely more than a few years.

Paedophiles can not be rehabilitated, their victims will never get over the abuse they’ve suffered, for them it’s a life sentence.

Murder, torture, rape, animal abuse, no sentence is long enough IMO, and paying to keep these people in prison isn’t a good use of my tax money.

Where there is absolute proof of guilt, I have no problem with the death penalty, and yes @missy, I think the senseless killing of a Police officer just because of his job, deserves the death penalty too.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My obstacle with a list of crimes that would merit the death penalty is that you may not always understand why someone committed the crime. For instance, for my own sanity I have to try to believe that child rapists for instance must have a mental illness/mis-wiring of some form. Do we as a society have a right to view them as evil if they’re really suffering from a mental disorder that could be medicated (with developments in a few years)? Is evil always evil or is it illness that should merit compassion and treatment?

Regardless, I’m with those who’d merrily throttle anyone who hurt their family, ethics and compassion be damned. I just couldn’t apply cold logic in that situation.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
paying to keep these people in prison isn’t a good use of my tax money.
In the US and depending on the state the death penalty is 2x-3x more expensive than life in prison.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *think* I am against the death penalty. I believe that the true monsters amongst us need to be locked away until their natural death with humane treatment but very little rights. I can't even read news stories about child molesters/murderers yet I just can't get on board with man being the final judge. If it were my family, however, I would probably not be able to contain my rage. Those that are able to forgive the ultimate trespassers are admirable but beyond my comprehension.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the US and depending on the state the death penalty is 2x-3x more expensive than life in prison.

Yep. Hence my opposition to it. It is also not a deterrent for further crime other than by the recipient.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was against the death penalty until the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City. That seemed to me to be an act of pure evil, and I couldn’t fathom the thought of its mastermind (who I don’t even want to name) living, even in jail, after cravenly killing so many.

That said, I think the death penalty should be reserved for rare, even extreme cases.

I do think the cold-blooded murder of a police officer warrants the death penalty, though not primarily because they put their lives on the line for us... which they do, of course. Law enforcement officers are there to enforce laws. I know, duh. But the fact is that they are sometimes targeted because of what they represent. Targeting law enforcement is in essence targeting the rule of law, and I do think we as a society should send the message that that will not be tolerated.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I draw the line at psychopathy. I don't believe psychopaths can ever be rehabilitated, and they're just too dangerous to society. If someone has a personal motive for committing a crime, that's more defensible than if they committed a crime in a cold and callous manner for gain or simply for pleasure.

There's a lot of criminal defense built around insanity, to which I say I consider psychopaths insane, but why should I keep a proven psychopath alive and well with tax dollars so they can terrorize other inmates in prison rather than putting them down? I think there's a genetic or biological deficiency for which there is no rehabilitation for a psychopath who has crossed the line, by committing violent acts over and over again. I'm talking about the serial rapists and murderers who would kill and torture because they have zero empathy. You can't make sure they're always on meds. Spending your tax dollars keeping them alive or allowing them to walk out on parole is insane.

None. It is far too expensive and is not a deterrent.
What is it? Are you referring to the death sentence or prison? Prison is far more expensive considering the years and years some people would spend there consuming our taxpayer dollars.

Here in the US the method of administering death is quite humane compared to a public execution.

I agree with what others have said about rare and extreme cases. There should be solid evidence of the person having committed the crime.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is it? Are you referring to the death sentence or prison? Prison is far more expensive considering the years and years some people would spend there consuming our taxpayer dollars.

Here in the US the method of administering death is quite humane compared to a public execution.

I agree with what others have said about rare and extreme cases. There should be solid evidence of the person having committed the crime.
It is far more expensive to try, convict, and house a death penalty case than an LWOP - Life Wthout Parole. It takes years and multiple costly appeals before it even gets to the actual death, if it ever does.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m against it. I can’t flip a switch and create a life; therefore, I have no right to flip a switch to end a life.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is far more expensive to try, convict, and house a death penalty case than an LWOP - Life Wthout Parole. It takes years and multiple costly appeals before it even gets to the actual death, if it ever does.

For sure.

It's not the universal truth it once was, but in states where death is an authorized sentence, the costs of prosecuting Murder 1 cases through conviction and sentencing (as well as post-conviction litigation) are still frequently borne entirely by the county -- not the state. So the economic drain on a county's resources can account for much (albeit certainly not all) of the disparities within the same state as to the percentages of Murder 1 cases prosecuted as death penalty ones vs those that are not. E.g., in 2010, when Lynne Abraham retired after 20 years as Philadelphia County's District Attorney, almost 1/2 the inmates on Death Row had been convicted in Philadelphia County, but Philadelphia County had not had 50% of PA's death-eligible murder prosecutions in the years after the U.S. Supreme Court "restored" the death penalty via its 1976 decision of Gregg v. Georgia and its progeny.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Voting for Trump. :mrgreen:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hI,

Definitely a serial killer should be put to death. Definitely a child killer should be put to death. Definitely a mass murderer should be put to death. Definitely a killer of a law enforcement officer should be put to death.

A child rapist should be castrated.(there are chemicals)

The appeals process for convicted killers must be shortened--.

A review process for racial discrimination ought to be implemented

Planned murder of one person should not be,given the death penalty.

Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could list crimes worthy of the death penalty, but I won't.
Our legal system is too imperfect.
Some innocent people get found guilty, then after decades in prison they get found innocent.

Opps, :oops: Sorry Dude.

For a brain dead off the map liberal I'm very tough on crime ... but the death penalty is too final when guilt often cannot be determined with 100% certainty.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results