shape
carat
color
clarity

What cookware do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I am looking for new cookware..I currently have a set of Kitchenaid that I ruined about a year and a half ago by putting it in the dishwasher. Woopsie. I want something that''s stainless, non-stick, and dishwasher safe. I was looking at All-Clad..but now I am second-guessing the cost and if we NEED cookware that is that expensive because well for that much money I could get cookware and a knife set (we need knives, too) and start paying on my bridal portrait (yaaay another post-wedding expense).
14.gif
What do you use? Any recommendations?

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Sarah
35.gif

If you''re considering All Clad, I might suggest some other high quality brands (just like All Clad) for a bit less money - I''ve heard wonderful things about Calphalon''s stainless line - I, myself, use only Le Creuset - both cast iron and stainless steel. Their stainless steel is comparable to All Clad in every way - I''ve cooked with both, and I actually prefer Le Creuset''s stainless line because of the handles and the easy pour features....It''s definitely something you should look into!

Le Creuset stainless isn''t quite as much as All Clad, but it isn''t a HUGE price difference.

Also, I believe every kitchen should be equipped with a solid dutch oven and a cast iron skillet
1.gif

As for knives, I use Shun - LOVE them!
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We got a set of Calphalon non stick pots and pans and we use them all the time. We also got a couple of All Clad SS pans and we use them a lot. The big All Clad pan is burned and it looks terrible but we still use it. We put everything inthe dishwasher and that seems to work. We don''t put the non stick pots and pans in the lower rack of the dishwahser though.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just picked up a set of two caphalon sautee pans at Crate and Barrel and I love them. They''re anodized and are non-stick, one''s large and one''s small. I''m going to slowly start building a set of Caphalon because you can find them all the time at Marshall''s and Homegoods for good prices. The set we got at C&B was $50 and we used a GC for them.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 9:27:59 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett
We got a set of Calphalon non stick pots and pans and we use them all the time. We also got a couple of All Clad SS pans and we use them a lot. The big All Clad pan is burned and it looks terrible but we still use it. We put everything inthe dishwasher and that seems to work. We don''t put the non stick pots and pans in the lower rack of the dishwahser though.

Zoe-try using Barkeepers friend on your burned pan. I swear by that stuff!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
If you like Calphalon, check out Analon as well. They are made in the same factory from the same material.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 10:04:36 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Date: 7/24/2009 9:27:59 AM

Author: ZoeBartlett

Zoe-try using Barkeepers friend on your burned pan. I swear by that stuff!

Or try wetting a towel with lemon juice and running it over the pan. Cleans ours up in seconds!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We use a mix of things since we both had sets before we married, and then we received new things for the wedding, as well.

We mostly have Calphalon and All-Clad. I like them both, and I''m not enough of a super cook to really tell the difference.

I adore our Le Creuset dutch oven, I definitely second that every home should have a dutch oven!

Camille

Shiny_Rock
For non stick Calphalon worked for me, as for SS I bought a set from Costco brand and I have to say, they are great for the price!
As for dutch ovens yah, one beats LeCreuset
13.gif

cakeny

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 10:16:03 AM
Author: EricaR
If you like Calphalon, check out Analon as well. They are made in the same factory from the same material.

That''s what we use, the Anolon Advanced series. Like em a lot so far. Heavy gauge, hard-anodized aluminum, lifetime warranty, blah blah.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 1:24:13 PM
Author: cakeny

Date: 7/24/2009 10:16:03 AM
Author: EricaR

That''s what we use, the Anolon Advanced series. Like em a lot so far. Heavy gauge, hard-anodized aluminum, lifetime warranty, blah blah.
I am VERY spoiled - my parents live the next town over from the factory and so every year I go for a "visit" the same weekend as the big factory blowout sale.
31.gif

cakeny

Shiny_Rock
Lucky! Love these suckers. Made a (semi) cook out of me!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks HH and Haven! I''ll try your suggestions and see if I can get that pan looking brand new again.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the great info..we're still trying to decide..but the look of Le Creuset is growing on me over the stainless. I have a quick silly/stupid question that will show my cooking inexperience..what's the difference between a French/Dutch Oven and a Stockpot? Looks like the stockpot is taller..but can both be used for pasta and/or boiling stovetop? We cook a lot of pasta.

ETA: Also does anyone know if it's dishwasher safe? Bed Bath and Beyond says yes in the product description..JC Penney says to hand wash.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
A french/dutch oven is a shorter pot - perfect for stews, braises, etc - I have a 5.5qt Le Creuset that literally gets used nearly everyday - that pot is the King (or Queen) of my kitchen :)

A stockpot is taller, making it great for pastas and large portions of soup - or anything requiring lots of liquid. I think the taller sides of a stockpot somehow are better for cooking liquids - but I could be wrong - I''m no cookware guru
3.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2009 5:02:22 PM
Author: Cleopatra
A french/dutch oven is a shorter pot - perfect for stews, braises, etc - I have a 5.5qt Le Creuset that literally gets used nearly everyday - that pot is the King (or Queen) of my kitchen :)

A stockpot is taller, making it great for pastas and large portions of soup - or anything requiring lots of liquid. I think the taller sides of a stockpot somehow are better for cooking liquids - but I could be wrong - I''m no cookware guru
3.gif

Thank you!!
5.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
We have a set of Calphalon stainless pans, a mish-mash of hand-me-down non-stick pans, and we use Henckels knives. I love the good knives. I felt hopelessly incompetent at slicing anything up before those wonderful knives. We got a fantastic Henckels butcher block and knife set as well as some matching super-nice steak knives as a wedding gift.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I have Calphalon One, and I love it. We''re registered for a Le Creuset dutch oven, though, and I am soooo excited.

Sarah, I''m not completely sure about dishwashing, but a lot of pans are dishwasher-"safe" but handwashing is recommended. The heat of some dishwashers can cause problems with the finishes and possibly warp the pans. The pans I have are handwash only, and honestly it isn''t that much work -- plus, I know that I''ve scrubbed off all the bits that can get baked on in the dishwasher.

I also use my stockpot all the time. I quite often roast a chicken on the weekend, and I ALWAYS toss the carcass and juices in the stockpot along with a roughly chopped onion, carrot, and celery stalk. I save the end bits whenever I use these veggies, too, and keep them in a ziplock baggie in the freezer until the next time I make stock. Just cover everything with water and let it boil away for at least an hour, strain, and you''ve got yummy, yummy stock. It freezes well, too!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
We recently got Farberware cookware, and I am in love with it!!! I used to use a $50 set from Walmart before we received the set for an engagement present. I remember the first time I cooked eggs in my nice non-stick Farberware pan, I got so excited that the eggs didn''t stick to the pan I called FI into the kitchen to look.
5.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have All Clad and Calphalon stuff. I think we have different sets of each. I don''t cook but they look nice!
3.gif
We''ve had them for a while-we didn''t register for any cookware because we already had nice stuff.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I just bought an All Clad 7 piece set on ebay for 299.99 (no tax and free shipping). I received them today and compared an All Clad 4 quart saute pan I bought at Williams Sonoma(and returning) to the one in my newly delivered set and it's authentic. Yay!

I wanted All Clad because you can put the Stainless in the dishwasher. I had a Farberware set that I loved and it lasted 8 years. I think I want my pans to last longer than 8 yrs so I bought All Clad.

ETA: My 1000th post!

StarbuttsKoffee

Shiny_Rock
We have been reading review and hunting for cookware, and in the meanwhile, my mother in-law gave me a Calphalon non-stick saucepan with lid, and I have to say I love it very much!

-SBK

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I use our Calphalon One (Infused Anodized Cookware) pans daily. They are sooooo great. Everything cooks evenly and so easy to clean. We have the 12 inch and 8 inch. Got them from Macys for our wedding. Love them, love them.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I have had All-Clad stainless cookware for about a year now (and one all-clad non-stick frying pan), and so far I think they have been worth every penny. It took some while to getting used to having nice cookware that heats up quickly and gets reallly hot- I had to learn to use lower temps and how to "seal" the pans with a little bit of oil to prevent sticking, but now it''s like second nature. My only complaint is that I really don''t like the handles, they are uncomfortable for me.

I also have a couple of Calphalon non-stick frying pans that I have had for about 3 years now. I''ve noticed lately that the non-stick finish is not as good as it used to be even though we''ve only handwashed it and have never used abrasives on it. I''m surprised, because I expected it to hold up longer. The handles on these pans however are significantly better than the All-Clad (comfort-wise).

Have you also looked into Emerilware? I believe reading somewhere that it is also made by All-Clad.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 7:54:07 AM
Author: sap483

Have you also looked into Emerilware? I believe reading somewhere that it is also made by All-Clad.

Emerilware is made by All Clad, however, the pots are made in China, whereas All Clad is made in the US. Just a bit of info
1.gif

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2009 7:55:55 AM
Author: Cleopatra

Date: 7/29/2009 7:54:07 AM
Author: sap483

Emerilware is made by All Clad, however, the pots are made in China, whereas All Clad is made in the US. Just a bit of info
1.gif
Oh that''s good to know. I assumed it was made in PA too.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I have All Clad and adore them. I got them all at the factory sales where they sell things super cheap. I would recommend going on their website and looking to see if they have a factory sale near you. There aren''t many, but if you happen to be within driving distance of one it would be worth it.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We use Calphalon One, as well as some stainless steel pots and non-stick pans from Calphalon. I love them, they make cooking SO much easier! It''s really not ME - it''s the friggin'' cookware!

We also got a Le Creuset 5Q oval pot that I can''t wait to use - I''ve only heard great things about Le Creuset cookware.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
When DH and I were shopping for cookware we really wanted All Clad, but just couldn''t afford them. We had nothing so we needed to purchase a full set of pots and pans etc. The SA told us that the Gordon Ramsay SS set were comparable in quality, but a lot more affortable though still not cheap so that''s what we bought. We love them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results