shape
carat
color
clarity

What comes first, the setting or the stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Sort of one of those DancingFire questions:

So what do you usually get first? Do you buy/find a setting you love and then fit a gemstone to it? Or do you find a gemstone that you love and then build a setting around it?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
The stone is the most important part to me, so I usually start with that first, and being able to have cheaper semi-mounts like LOGR customized, makes it much easier. However, if there were a setting I absolutely loved, I would definitely consider purchasing it before a stone, as long as it was a fairly easy-to-find shape, like a round.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
What if you find a very competitively priced semi mount? Do you resist, or go ahead and buy one?

I''ve been scoping out LOGR''s for a couple weeks now, and seen some really great deals go by, but haven''t committed because I don''t have a center stone and was worried I wouldn''t find one/couldn''t chose a metal color without knowing the color of the center stone. If I found an awesome deal though, I might go ahead and get one in a white gold so that if anything it shows off the diamonds a little better.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pick out the gemstone first then find the ring.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
For me it''s the stone.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm, so far I have bought gems before the setting, But I found some very pretty settings, and thought, hmmm maybe I should get it. So I''d say get the ring if its a good deal, totally I would get it, and choose the metal that you will wear most if its a setting for shapes that are readily available and maybe average size (6-7mm) head, totally I''d get it with their stock head size.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2009 11:36:34 PM
Author: szh07
What if you find a very competitively priced semi mount? Do you resist, or go ahead and buy one?

I''ve been scoping out LOGR''s for a couple weeks now, and seen some really great deals go by, but haven''t committed because I don''t have a center stone and was worried I wouldn''t find one/couldn''t chose a metal color without knowing the color of the center stone. If I found an awesome deal though, I might go ahead and get one in a white gold so that if anything it shows off the diamonds a little better.
I know what you mean about those LOGRs, and committing to a metal color is the the most difficult for me if I don''t have a stone already. I''m always afraid I''ll have an empty setting gathering dust. Maybe if I had a bigger jewelry budget I wouldn''t mind having $$ tied up in that, but as it is, I have to plan pretty carefully.

I get pangs of regret though when I pass on a great LOGR auction, and afterwards I can only find it at the BIN price.
39.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made the huge mistake of getting the setting first, and it sat around for months.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have done both. For me, I watch a lot of ebay auctions and snatch up the ones I like (or sort of like) if the price is great. When I know what stone I want to set in it, I get it customized. If not, I just get the setting. I have a lot of settings sitting around because I need the stone to fit perfectly.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normally the stone BUT if there''s a setting in a size that I know is going to be relatively easy to fill, then I won''t pass up the opportunity to buy it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Definitely all about the stones!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I get the stone first, than find the setting that would be best for it

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2009 11:50:36 PM
Author: cellentani
Date: 8/1/2009 11:36:34 PM

I know what you mean about those LOGRs, and committing to a metal color is the the most difficult for me if I don''t have a stone already. I''m always afraid I''ll have an empty setting gathering dust. Maybe if I had a bigger jewelry budget I wouldn''t mind having $$ tied up in that, but as it is, I have to plan pretty carefully.

I get pangs of regret though when I pass on a great LOGR auction, and afterwards I can only find it at the BIN price.
39.gif

''I get pangs of regret though when I pass on a great LOGR auction, and afterwards I can only find it at the BIN price.''...me too! Sometimes I''ll see a setting I really like go for half of what it is on BIN; the most recent was was a 6x8 emerald setting that went for $103. Sigh...I''ve been trying really hard to keep myself focused. I''ll find that I''ll spend a little money here and a little there on cheapie pieces to keep me at bay from spending a lot on a piece I really love, and by the end of the month, I''ll realize I''ve spent almost as much trying to ''save''! So from now on, I''m trying hard to make sure I really LOVE something before I buy it, but the inner-bargain hunter inside of me is always trying to fight it..

PS. How do you highlight within someone''s quote?
33.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 3:32:33 PM

PS. How do you highlight within someone''s quote?
33.gif
Click reply on the post. There is quote button under the attach file.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2009 3:52:02 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I have done both. For me, I watch a lot of ebay auctions and snatch up the ones I like (or sort of like) if the price is great. When I know what stone I want to set in it, I get it customized. If not, I just get the setting. I have a lot of settings sitting around because I need the stone to fit perfectly.

Does it work out pretty well for you if you buy the setting first? I''ve been looking on some sites with calibrated gems, which would be great to order to fit an LOGR, but those sites have such a large inventory that they don''t post very clear pictures.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the minority here, because it''s often the setting that comes first for me. Only recently have I ever bought loose stones; they''ve usually been purchased already set, and the setting often draws my eye as much or more than the stone. Like the lotus for example.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s almost always been a stone -> setting progression for me, but I have had my eye on a setting before while searching for a stone (marquise diamond, most recently), so I''m not sure how one would classify that.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Certainly the setting for me. I may eventually set a stone.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I don''t think there''s a right or wrong way, as long as you''re happy with the results.

So far, I''ve typically bought the stones first and then found the settings for them. However, I recently saw a setting that I just love, and in that instance, I''d be willing to buy the setting and then find a stone to fit it. Fortunately, PSers have a regular stable of great colored stone cutters who would be able to cut a stone to fit a setting, so I think either method is fine.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always the stone first. It is already difficult enough trying to find a nice coloured gemstone (colour, clarity, size, cutting, shape) without having to deal with the additional constraints of setting mm size, shape, metal choice and design.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results