shape
carat
color
clarity

What colored stone for antique platinum setting?

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Hi - I have an old platinum setting with French cut diamonds on the sides. I am looking to put a colored stone in the setting, but don't know a lot about colored stones and what would look best in an antique setting. The opening for the stone is rectangular -approx. 7.8 x 6.7 mm.
I was also hoping someone would be able to help with where I would be able to purchase a stone with these measurements- It doesn't seem like a standard size. Thank you for any help you may have.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a color you like? Color you don't like? Will it be your e ring? Occasional wear?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you post a picture of the ring?

How much is your budget for a stone?

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your responses-
I like almost all colors, but I would probably not choose purples or pinks. The ring would not be worn on a daily basis- it would just be occasional wear.

I need to be very budget conscious on the stone I would get- The most I would like to spend is $500.
I will post a photo shortly(I'm researching how to do that!)

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
I tried to attach photo- I hope it works:

myrings_047.jpg

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Paisley2628|1464826186|4039151 said:
I tried to attach photo- I hope it works:

Perfect. Now people can look around for you.

I am, compared to most around here, a relative newbie in CS. But I have bought a number of them and love looking. I will see what I can find.

Cindy

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! I couldn't find anything that was exactly those dimensions, but not 100% sure how much "wiggle" room you have.

Found a few options, but will definitely keep looking:

1) Chrysoberyl from Mastercut gems. https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-296-Chrysoberyl_and_Danburite/8433-DANA-CHRYSOBERYL_Natural_2_49_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=1

2). Yellow Beryl from Jeff Davies http://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/clearance/mj4699-beryl-1-59ct/

3) I know you said you wouldn't pick pink or purple, but this seems more red to me so wanted you to see it. Rubellite Tourmaline from Litnon http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9667

All are under your budget....let me know if any of these catch your eye or if there's something totally different I should be looking for :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd see if Jeff Davies to cut me a blue topaz step cut probably cost you like $125

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks- I have never purchased a colored stone before - so I really appreciate the help!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1464829347|4039168 said:
I'd see if Jeff Davies to cut me a blue topaz step cut probably cost you like $125

That's a great suggestion! I was searching for a blue topaz from him in the OP's size, but did't find one. That's definitely a good idea because his blue topaz stones are very pretty and well cut.

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
The two yellow stones are very pretty! (and a good price also!)

I like the color blue - and maybe that would be a nice contrast to the color of platinum

I had originally thought of a clear colored stone - but I don't want to try to make it look like an imitation diamond

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another idea is to reach out to Doug Menaude about custom-cutting you a stone. He's incredibly talented, and a good deal of his work is from custom cutting for clients. He has cut me 3 stones, and many more for others (if you look him up here on CS you'll find tons of good things). His prices are really reasonable, particularly if you are in the US because the dollar is fairly powerful compared to the AUS dollar right now.

In particular, maybe consider a natural blue or electric blue topaz? Or citrine if you like orange/yellow. You can see a list of the available gemstone rough he has here: http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_QuickList_Available_Rough.php

Obviously it's hard for most lay people to tell exactly what color will come from rough, which is why I recommend writing him with some colors you like (and what size + shape you want) and ask him what he thinks. Just so you can see his past work, here are a list of his stones listed by design: http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_Designs_Intro.php (most of these are sold, but at least you can get an idea of how amazing his work is).

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since it won't be an every day ring, I would choose the zircon over the topaz. Zircon sparkles so nicely.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1464830543|4039178 said:
Since it won't be an every day ring, I would choose the zircon over the topaz. Zircon sparkles so nicely.

That would be nice, but I don't like them as step cuts and I was worried how deep it would be, that's the only reason I thought a topaz would be better. But yes, I love zircons too

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
I've been looking at the links everyone posted- Thank you!

I never realized how many colors and types of stones and cuts within a stone type there are - I have a lot of research to do!

In general, are certain stones deeper cut than others? Zircons need to be deeper cut than a topaz?

I will have to go to a local jeweler to measure the opening and find out exactly what size I will need and how much
variation the setting will allow.

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Would anyone be able to recommend where I can purchase a custom sized opal to fit this ring setting?
Thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A cabochon such as an opal will need a different type of setting.

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply

I thought I had a great idea for the ring! It is too bad it won't work

What do you think of a clear colored topaz?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A black spinel cut to fit from Bespoke, as previously suggested, would really be pretty in the setting, I am only guessing that it would be in your budget though.

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks !

I will contact Bespoke this weekend and see what they suggest

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You will need to look for a stone that is very specific in size/dimensions or have something custom cut for you. Settings made for rectangular stones are far less forgiving than for round/oval. I'd guess that this originally either held a cut corner rectangle or a cushion, and was likely made custom for the stone. A pointy cornered stone won't fit into this setting without quite a bit of work that will likely go over your budget in labor, on top of the cost of the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results