shape
carat
color
clarity

what color gemstone with rose gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I have been thinking about getting a ring with rose gold and am wondering if I can also encorproate the other thing I like, which is filigree, or the rope=like band that vera wang used a couple years ago,...

anyway, what color gemstone goes nicely with rose gold? I don''t want blue sapph or pinktopaz, as I already have these...

any ideas greatly appreciated, and most definately with pictures!
31.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have seen a pale green amethyst set with rose gold and it looks amazing. The green amethyst does not really look green, and it pops from the rose gold and looks great.

I also think pink tourmaline or pink sapphire could be gorgeous...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Green looks great with rose gold, so does orange!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
what about moonstone? I''ve been looking at rose gold lately too and I like it with white. A white moonstone would look so pretty I think!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m having a rose gold band ring being made. It will be set with a melee of white, yellow and orange-brown diamonds. No pics yet, but it is going to be yummy.
18.gif
I suggest colored diamonds, yellow, brown or orange.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
to further complicate, how do you think the rose gold would look with a concave cut stone ?? has anyone ever seen this before?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t know why it would make a difference if the stone is concave cut.........

movie zombie

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
My mom has a brown zircon set in pink gold...it is amazing! The brown and the pink are just so incredible together!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
do you think you could snap a picture of it?? :)

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll try. I''m actually in her town right now, and I was supposed to see her tomorrow, but she''s out of town and her rental car broke down, so now i''m not sure if she''s going to make it back in time for me to see her. I''m bummed. But, even if I miss her this time, I''ll probably see her again in less than two weeks, and I''ll make sure to request a photo session. :) Maybe I''ll take pics of some of the rest of her collection...she has a great one!

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/6/2007 3:15:08 PM
Author: Sophie
to further complicate, how do you think the rose gold would look with a concave cut stone ?? has anyone ever seen this before?
Brown and concave do not get along well at all ! With green I have never seen but it''s sound no good.

Concave cut is rather for bright pink, yellow and orange to me.

If you go for green, zircon can be outstanding and rather cheap (but you''ll have to look long), but in brown sapphire and diamond are the wisest mooves. Nice Argyle diamonds are expensive, though (around 3 times more than sapphire).

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 6:01:50 AM
Author: colorchange

Date: 2/6/2007 3:15:08 PM
Author: Sophie
Brown and concave do not get along well at all ! With green I have never seen but it''s sound no good.

Concave cut is rather for bright pink, yellow and orange to me.

If you go for green, zircon can be outstanding and rather cheap (but you''ll have to look long), but in brown sapphire and diamond are the wisest mooves. Nice Argyle diamonds are expensive, though (around 3 times more than sapphire).
thank you so much for the information, it helps for those of us with very limited knowledge in these areas!!!

I really do like how a spessarite looks when it is concave cut but still want a brown stone
5.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I have to respectfully disagree. I have seen some amazing brown zircons! Even concave cut ones. My mom''s is sprakly and firey and stunning (it is not concave though). It really depends on the quality of the cut. Hers was cut by a truly wonderful gem cutter, whose name escapes me at the moment...but I''ll find out for you, Sophie...

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2007 2:36:43 PM
Author: FacetFire
I have to respectfully disagree. I have seen some amazing brown zircons! Even concave cut ones. My mom's is sprakly and firey and stunning (it is not concave though). It really depends on the quality of the cut. Hers was cut by a truly wonderful gem cutter, whose name escapes me at the moment...but I'll find out for you, Sophie...

I haven’t said brown zircon could not be nice, but those I have seen up to now, were not near to the quality of sapphires and diamonds.
About concave cut, I must say I’m not a fan of concave cutting, but think it’s extremely nice in some stones but not all.
To me it’s appropriate with stones having vivid color and light tone, brown is the exact opposite and the few concave cut brown garnets and zircon I have seen were not as nice as they would have been with a straight cut.
Garnets have to be seen in real, or at least you should request photos in normal light, not light box. Most garnets are very extinct.

About green, some green zircon from Ceylon are almost as nice as tsavorite, unfortunately, they are extremely rare (most are extinct or yellowish) and I have never found any very good one over 2.5 Ct up to now. But to me green should be set in yellow gold.
Still about green, I recently saw a 3 Ct emerald cut green sapphire from Ceylon… the quality of the best emeralds under natural light, but so disappointing under artificial light…

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 1:38:41 PM
Author: colorchange

Date: 2/7/2007 2:36:43 PM
Author: FacetFire
I have to respectfully disagree. I have seen some amazing brown zircons! Even concave cut ones. My mom''s is sprakly and firey and stunning (it is not concave though). It really depends on the quality of the cut. Hers was cut by a truly wonderful gem cutter, whose name escapes me at the moment...but I''ll find out for you, Sophie...

I haven’t said brown zircon could not be nice, but those I have seen up to now, were not near to the quality of sapphires and diamonds.
About concave cut, I must say I’m not a fan of concave cutting, but think it’s extremely nice in some stones but not all.
To me it’s appropriate with stones having vivid color and light tone, brown is the exact opposite and the few concave cut brown garnets and zircon I have seen were not as nice as they would have been with a straight cut.
Garnets have to be seen in real, or at least you should request photos in normal light, not light box. Most garnets are very extinct.

About green, some green zircon from Ceylon are almost as nice as tsavorite, unfortunately, they are extremely rare (most are extinct or yellowish) and I have never found any very good one over 2.5 Ct up to now. But to me green should be set in yellow gold.
Still about green, I recently saw a 3 Ct emerald cut green sapphire from Ceylon… the quality of the best emeralds under natural light, but so disappointing under artificial light…

geez, isn''t that the truth?!

personally, i wouldn''t go brown with red/pink gold. some will depend on how red or how pink your mounting is. not all red/pink gold is created the same. i''ve seen a lovely 14k pink gold ring set with a great pink stone at union jewelers in sf. but it was truely a vision in pink....the gold incredibly pink. my 18k red gold chain is barely discernable from an 18k yellow gold chain by the same maker.

make sure just exactly what color your mounting really is before making your decision. see as many stones with it as you can.

how about spinel? but affordable spinel can be so very very extinct.....and most here know i cannot abide extinction. but then its not my ring!

movie zombie

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2007 2:27:28 PM
Author: movie zombie

geez, isn''t that the truth?!

personally, i wouldn''t go brown with red/pink gold. some will depend on how red or how pink your mounting is. not all red/pink gold is created the same. i''ve seen a lovely 14k pink gold ring set with a great pink stone at union jewelers in sf. but it was truely a vision in pink....the gold incredibly pink. my 18k red gold chain is barely discernable from an 18k yellow gold chain by the same maker.

make sure just exactly what color your mounting really is before making your decision. see as many stones with it as you can.

how about spinel? but affordable spinel can be so very very extinct.....and most here know i cannot abide extinction. but then its not my ring!

movie zombie
Spinel can be ok... the problem is what color of spinel.
Pink spinel can go down to $150/Ct if color isn''t vivid or if for instance cut is most terrible mative cut (if you like concave cut that might be an idea to buy bad cut and have recut), without beeing extinct at all.
But forget about red, except if you are lucky enough to find some good non-Burmese spinels not sold at the price of Burmese. Orange is often disapointing.
The only garnet that I do like are the pink and the mandarin ones.
Second class or "semi" mandarin can be an idea.
Mogok is producing some Mandarin like garnet (I can''t make the difference honnestly) slightly included but Fanta orange and no extinction. Can be found as low as $150/Ct, but it takes some luck to find one.

So plenty of ideas...

I do find that brown is very nice with very red gold...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results