shape
carat
color
clarity

What color do you see?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I bought and reset an inexpensive (I1, .60, lower color (not sure)) pair of diamond earrings on LT. I like low color. Just reset them in white bezels. They are plenty sparkly from a distance and I am happy with them.
however, out of the corner of my eye I keep seeing green. The pictures are from outside on a white piece of paper. This is just for idle curiosity. What color do you see?

Thanks in advance :)

20160411_111607green.jpg

20160411_114747lowlowcolor.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell what color the diamonds are because the piece of paper is coming up gray-ish on my monitor instead of white.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I ran them through Fireworks and adjusted the highlight to the white paper background.
20160411_114747lowlowcolormanipulated.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm... it looks like a beigey gray body color to me.

Q

Queenie60

I see ivory.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1460393164|4017965 said:
Hmm... it looks like a beigey gray body color to me.

this

They look really pretty on your ear. In that first picture, I don't see the color as much.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your replies ladies. It's interesting to hear what you see.
When I had them set the jeweler grabbed a stud and said he saw green and took it to the gemologist on staff who said it was a low color, but didn't comment on the green. Every so often I pick up on a very light green tint in with the beige/ivory/ grey too. I am not sure if I am seeing things or not.

Thanks again for your time!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
moneymeister|1460391113|4017954 said:
Okay, I ran them through Fireworks and adjusted the highlight to the white paper background.
20160411_114747lowlowcolormanipulated.jpg

I see light green but the paper isn't white on my screen.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds can have all kinds of body hues, especially visible in the lower colors. I've seen gray, brown, greenish yellow, yellow, and occasionally peachy. Lab reports don't note this - they just grade the color based on amount of saturation, but not hue. So it's totally possible that the lower color is reading as greenish in certain lighting. Moissanite can also look fairly green, so please make sure that the stones are diamonds - the jeweler probably checked them already. But I have definitely seen this hue you are seeing a few times. It's not common (usually lower colors read as warm and sunny, like the color of candlelight) but if green suits your skin tone (it doesn't work on me), then I think it's pretty cool! Enjoy your earrings!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
ericad|1460428986|4018157 said:
Diamonds can have all kinds of body hues, especially visible in the lower colors. I've seen gray, brown, greenish yellow, yellow, and occasionally peachy. Lab reports don't note this - they just grade the color based on amount of saturation, but not hue. So it's totally possible that the lower color is reading as greenish in certain lighting. Moissanite can also look fairly green, so please make sure that the stones are diamonds - the jeweler probably checked them already. But I have definitely seen this hue you are seeing a few times. It's not common (usually lower colors read as warm and sunny, like the color of candlelight) but if green suits your skin tone (it doesn't work on me), then I think it's pretty cool! Enjoy your earrings!

That was so helpful. We did double check that they were diamonds when I had them reset. I do like the low color and am happy with the studs. My "I" e-ring is that sunny vanilla/warm ivory color and I was very surprised to see how different these (possible) greenish beige studs looked.
Thanks for your input!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lemony yellow.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
half ripen lemon

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't judge diamond color from a pic.

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
I see some green colour in these diamonds in the picture, but as Lenny implied it's pretty much irrelevant.
I have devoted hours to trying to capture the colour of numerous stones onto my PC monitor. I've never succeeded getting the colour I see real life to look the same on a monitor. Lenny might have succeeded, you'd have to ask him. Then again if he comments that you can't get the colour from a picture then that speaks volumes in and of itself.

Have you checked these stones for fluorescence yet? I have a diamond with strong green fluorescence. Some type of fluor might be affecting how these appear to you in different light.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys, I'm learning.

toBnruG, that was a great thought. I did check them this morning. One has a very strong fluorescence. The other had a faint reaction. Maybe that's it.

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
Fluorescence is a pretty fascinating and complicated topic. There are plenty of threads and such to read up on the topic here on PS. I'm not saying it is the reason for the colour you're seeing. But it can certainly have an influence.
At any rate, I hope you're enjoying the excitement and fascination that even an inexpensive pair of diamonds can bring! :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
toBnruG|1460532600|4018623 said:
Fluorescence is a pretty fascinating and complicated topic. There are plenty of threads and such to read up on the topic here on PS. I'm not saying it is the reason for the colour you're seeing. But it can certainly have an influence.
At any rate, I hope you're enjoying the excitement and fascination that even an inexpensive pair of diamonds can bring! :)

I will follow up and search out some on fluorescence. I am not positive, but I think the fluorescence has a green hue. It's certainly strong.

I am sure a few read this thread and wondered why anyone would care about a small pair of off-color diamond earrings in a sea of extraordinary stones. I am a curious gem loving nerd, plain and simple. The green color threw me for a loupe (yeah, see what I did there).

For those that chose to comment, thank you for your time!

Thanks again for this time, I will go search out articles on fluorescence. 20160413_082143_edited.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results