shape
carat
color
clarity

What clarity am I?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Little busy here but was appraising this stone today and found it to be an interesting subject for an online Q&A.

Ok all you armchair gemologist''s. Here''s the questions.

1. I realize this is a tough question only viewing this one pic but what the heck ... take a stab.
1.gif

2. What phenomena is being observed?
3. Does it contribute to the clarity grade of the diamond?

I''ll check back later in the day (Lord willing) to check on the answers.

Peace,
Rhino

DSCN0075.jpg

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
Looks like it might be a Yehuda flash:

http://www.yourgemologist.com/Practical%20Diamond%20Grading/DiamondLesson6.html

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
It doesn't look like a filled fracture--you wouldn't get those kind of broad spectral colors.

Looks like it might be iridescence caused by internal strain, which wouldn't affect the clarity grade unless there was graining associated with it. But you're right that it's tough to be sure based on that one picture.
3.gif

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
This maybe looks clarity enhanced? It's hard to tell with the lighting in the photo. I guess that makes this at least SI1 or worse? Maybe this is the elusive "twinning wisp"? I'm not sure quite what a twinning wisp looks like. Maybe it's all just a trick of the light and photography and it's flawless. Do you have more pictures?

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
It's got STRAIN!
angryfire.gif

rhodelc

Rough_Rock
I'm guessing internal strain as well.

Lynn
wink2.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it has strain, too and no, it doesn't contribute to the clarity grading.
2.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strain in diamond

No it does not affect the clarity grade but may affect the durability of the stone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boo I failed Rhino's test. Who would have thought that strain could look so purty.
2.gif

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Nope, not strain, I think his diamond has the aurora borealis entirely congragated inside of the diamond. Either that, or he is tricking us by showing a reflection of the window outside of his office
9.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the pavillion angle greater than ideal?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL ... those of you who said strain are right on. The answers to the questions can be found on our clarity tutorial on the "Gallery of inclusions" page (at the bottom).

The diamond is a VVS1 in clarity and the strain has no bearing on the clarity grade at all.

Good job folks!

Was that fun?

Peace,
Rhino

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rook! haha.. aurora borealis! That's good!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Rhino, at first glance at the title I thought you may be doing some introspection. But, that may be too straining.
wink2.gif
9.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results