shape
carat
color
clarity

What causes changes to the arrow size and table reflection?

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Looking at a few H&A diamonds, noticed two stones I like, one has a larger more noticeable table refelction yet we are talking about 55.7 vs 56.3? I can't imagine that small difference would be so obvious. The also, what impact does longer and thicker arrows vs shorter thinner have on the stone. Lastly, I assume better to not have "any" cleft on the heart?

thanks, still learning!

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Re: What causes changes to the arrow size and table reflecti

Table reflections are a combination of table size and Pavillion Depth.

Consider two stones with 55 table with one stone 43% depth and 42.5% depth. The one with deeper Pavillion will have a larger table reflection.

Lower girdle length has an affect on the arrows. Arrows are basically reflection of the opposing Pavillion mains. Shorter lower girdle results in fatter arrows and vice versa. It results in bigger virtual facets and hence and bolder flashes.

Cleft in hearts is only relevant if you are looking for hearts and arrows diamonds. Lower girdle facet above 78% start to produce cleft in hearts as Pavillion mains become thinner. Hearts is a combination of two opposing Pavillion mains reflecting on the lower girdle facets on the opposite side.

Cleft in hearts do not necessarily result in diminishing performance and is not a reflector of diamond performance.

Titan7

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Re: What causes changes to the arrow size and table reflecti

The two in question:
Table 55.7
Pav. depth 43.2
Lower girdle Facets 78
Star 53

Table 56.3
Pav. Depth 42.7
Lower girdle facets 77
Star 53

The table reflection looks noticable smaller in the 2nd, and the ends of the arrow shafts (at the middle) are more uniform. There are no clefts in the middle of the Hearts on the 2nd, there are very small ones on the 1st.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results