shape
carat
color
clarity

What Carat Size Do you Consider To Be Big??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I''m sure everyone has an opinion...so what is it ladies..and gents?

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
1.5 and above seems large to me. 2 carats plus seems "big" to me. However, it really depends on the size of the hands wearing the ring. My ring is 1.22 carats with .75 carats of pave and, on my small hand, it looks very large. I would not have been comfortable going with a larger centre stone (my BF wanted to get me a 1.5-1.6 but it looked disproportionate with my hands).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How are we supposed to vote when there are no clear choices???

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
It''s whatever you think. Maybe I shouldn''t have listed this under a poll, but as a question instead. Ooops!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
H vs2 2.5ct rb 8.8mm will be fine with me.
35.gif
36.gif

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
Do you mean good big or too big?

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Whatever is big to you. I wish I made myself clearer before I posted this thread, sorry.
8.gif

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
I like a 1.5 -2 carat. My 2.5 carat seemed huge when it was first mounted but you know, the shrinkage has set in now and it''s perfect. It really depends on the shape, though. Some 3 carats to me are too big for everyday and some 2 carats would be kind of small for the look that I like.

Layne

Shiny_Rock
my ideal center stone would be 1.25 - 1. 75.
i consider 1.5 and above large.
i consider 2.5 and above too big for most people. although some can carry it off with no problem.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, there is no "bad" big unless it's frozen spit.
9.gif

I think anything 1.5 ct and up is "big" in society's standards.

What's too big for me? Haven't encountered it yet.
9.gif
But I'm only at 1.5 ct, so we've got a ways to go.
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me big is 2c+...and super big is 3.5c+!

Girls-best-friend

Shiny_Rock
For me, there is no "bad" big unless it''s frozen spit.

Ok I was eating when I read this.
40.gif

For me a big diamond would be anything 4 carats and up. 2-3 carats to me seems pretty average in size.
35.gif

Shay

Shiny_Rock
I''m sure I''ll be all alone here but I feel anything above 1 carat is too large for me. And I have large fingers!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2005 1:31:24 AM
Author: Girls-best-friend

For me, there is no ''bad'' big unless it''s frozen spit.

Ok I was eating when I read this.
40.gif
Be glad I didn''t post an example then! But there are entire threads on that already.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
LOL
11.gif

When you can''t go swimming because the rock on your finger will drag you down and drown you...

When you can''t lift you arm up because your rock is too heavy.....

When the Queen of England''s jewelry appears "small" to you.....

=================================

In all seriousness, how big is big is totally subjective and personal. It''s big when you think it''s big....whatever the numbers are.

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
What seems big?
Probably just about 3/4 of a carat or so larger than whatever you actually have.

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s relative to the size of the fingers and hands. For myself, I have chubby, short fingers (size 8)
8.gif
so I can wear a larger stone without it looking too big. My ering is a 1.28 RB solitare and truthfully, diamond shrinkage has set in. My mom has a 3 carat RB that looks great on my size 8
2.gif
. I would say that for my hands 2.5 carats is big, but still tasteful.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
I ditto Mara''s posts! I have tried on a 2.76 and thought it was perrrrrrfect! They also had a 3+ carat that was perfect too! Too bad they were sold@!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Is there such a thing as too big? This is a good question. I''ve never really considered anything to be too big. For me, I''m not even sure what I would consider the perfect size. I think I''d be satisfied with 2ct., but after I''d worn it for awhile I belive shrinkage would set in and then I''d want more!!!
11.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2005 2:27:55 AM
Author: websailor
LOL
11.gif

When you can''t go swimming because the rock on your finger will drag you down and drown you...

When you can''t lift you arm up because your rock is too heavy.....

When the Queen of England''s jewelry appears ''small'' to you.....

=================================

In all seriousness, how big is big is totally subjective and personal. It''s big when you think it''s big....whatever the numbers are.
LOL Websailor!!

You mean there''s too big????
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
Say it ain''t so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBLOND

Rough_Rock
PROBABLY 3 CArats or more. i use my hands alot @ work. i have 2.53 carat RB. it seems just right for me.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2005 8:28:46 AM
Author: Diamonds4Me

Date: 3/3/2005 2:27:55 AM
Author: websailor

You mean there''s too big????
9.gif
This must be the largest ring out there - too big ?

EH.JPG

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think big is about 1.25+

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ana,
You crack me up!!!
3.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I'm a weird-o... to me, "big" is anything over 1/2 ct... but that's probably because I live in the midwest (smaller diamonds are the norm), I'm only 23, I'm a messy biologist, and I have tiny hands - 4.5 ring size. Not to mention my mom's original ering (from my dad) was 1/4 ct, and now has just under 1/2 ct rb from my stepdad. My grandmother (dad's mom) got an upgrade from 1/2 to 3/4 ct (I think...) several years ago too, so I'm just not used to seeing large diamonds. Not that I'd turn anything "big" down of course...
11.gif

ETA: Wanted to clarify - 1/2 ct RB is "big" to me, but since my 3/8 pear has the spread of a 1/2-3/4 ct RB, maybe I'll have to rethink my definition of "big"...

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
To me, it''s completely dependent on the finger size. If the stone covers over 2/3 of the finger when viewed from the top, it''s big. Even over half a finger looks pretty big to me. That''s a big advantage to girls w/ skinny fingers.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
I''m with Firegoddes and Girls-best-friend. To me, there''s no such thing as too big, unless the cut quality is lacking. As for carats, perhaps people wear ''em big in the northeast, but 3-4 carats seems normal to me.

Cheers,
LizzyD

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

1 Ct – very nice size

1.5 – oooh, pretty big

2.0 – Very big

2.5 Huge and dreamy!

3.0 too big to look real on me, too big for daily wear, but still DAMN NICE!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I agree with codex57. I think it really depends on size of finger and finger length. I don''t know what I consider too big. I''d have to try it on and see.
2.gif
But anything that covers 50% or more of you finger width is BIG!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2005 2:12:56 PM
Author: snlee
I agree with codex57. I think it really depends on size of finger and finger length. I don''t know what I consider too big. I''d have to try it on and see.
2.gif
But anything that covers 50% or more of you finger width is BIG!
I have to agree here too. I have a size 3.75 finger so in my case a 3ct RB (9.4mm) would look big because it is too wide for my finger, whereas my 3ct Pear (7.93 x 12.99 mm) doesns''t look as big because it is longer than it is wide
and thus is more suited for my small finger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results