shape
carat
color
clarity

What Carat Size Do you Consider To Be Big??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2005 1:46:11 PM
Author: treysar

1 Ct – very nice size

1.5 – oooh, pretty big

2.0 – Very big

2.5 Huge and dreamy!

3.0 too big to look real on me, too big for daily wear, but still DAMN NICE!
I''m with Treysar!
36.gif

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. Most of my friends have at least a 2.5 ct unless it was an heirloom.

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
I''m with Treysar too!

I agree that your finger size and length have a lot to do with your "big" tolerance. Not really the word I''m looking for. You know, the largest stone you can carry well. Also your perception of "big" has to do with what you''ve seen and had. My huge carat began to shrink, didn''t take long either, then my 2 carat shrank a little but not much. The 2.5 carat princess is a totally different look so while it is huge it doesn''t look that much bigger than my 2 carat marquise. But that is where shape comes in, some shapes of similar weights look larger than others to me.

And I do like a rock!
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
A 3 ct round on my man hands would be PERFECT! Any bigger than a three carat round and I think you are in dangerous cracker-jack territory.

Fancies are another storey...
But in a princess- 4 cts...
In a cushion....I'm thinking a really good depth 3.25 would be the max...

My 2.13 cushion must have fallen out of the setting...when I got it, it was really big...now I have to squint LOL...and that was only a couple of months ago
11.gif

For my 5th year anniv, I'm getting a 3 ct. cushion. I have 2 years and 13 days to save LOL
6.gif

Gale

Shiny_Rock
I live in a relatively blue collar town. I routinely wear a .58ct ring, which is considerd a honker by my friends, coworkers, aunts and cousins. I think that in this perspective, size perception depends greatly upon geography and social circles.

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
Lucky girl, I had to wait 7 years for my 1 carat, then 5 more for the 2 carat, then 6 more for the 2.5. Not that I didn''t enjoy the ride........
4.gif

Do I see a pattern?
Is there a picture of your ring out here Moremoremore? I also like square cushions and radiants.
You know that shrinkage should be setting in any time now, you never know?

Who am I trying to kid! I like ''em all!

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I used to think anything larger than 2 carats was HUGE because I had a 1.02 carat. But then I got my 2.19 carat which seemed BIG to me. Of course shrinkage has already started to set in so my ring seems just right now. So I think now, TOO BIG to me would be about 4 carats, with 3 carats being BIG.

Of course, it all depends on the shape of the diamond because some shapes look larger and some look smaller due to cut and dimensions.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if ya''ll insist on complicating the discussion by taking body width and good taste into account then I can wear:

3.21c for engagement ring; max of 1.50 tcw in earring studs; and due to the capacious nature of my bosom, can provide safe harbor for at least a single stone of 10c.

Now if we''re talking just havin'' pretties around as collector''s pieces or just because they''re lovely to look at and pet from time to time, then there is no such as too big for me just too expensive
1.gif

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
Well, you got it Matata!

Due to the capacious (love that word) nature of my bottom half I could do a 5 carat to balance out my top half! Anybody got a six?

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
1c - standard

1.5c - noice!

2c - hot damn!

3c - good lord!

LOL

for me, i consider 2c to be big. i wouldn''t want a 3c until i''m older because i don''t think it''d look good on a young(er) woman.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I also agree w/treysar and I''m a big person (size 7 ring, 6.5 when I''m thinner, 5'' 9" tall) I''ve had on co-workers'' 3ct solitaires and they just weren''t comfortable- they almost looked like my fake cocktail rings.....but I''m sure i could force myself to wear one
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CA and NY 3-4ct is common

midweast .75 ct is big

south,they say everything is bigger in Texas

U.S. avg e-ring size my guess, .75 ct

P.S. member avg e-ring size my guess, 1.5 ct. girls here are BAD influence.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire, CA and NY 3-4ct is common?

I have yet to see any 3-4 carat diamonds! Where are they??

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Anything that weighs so much my hand drags on the ground.
emotion-14.gif
Seriously, the prettiest stones I''ve seen among my friends tend to be in the 1.5 - 2 ct. range. I only wear a size 5, but a 2ct looks fine so that''s what I''m hoping for later this year. I think 3ct+ is big because it''s so much larger than anyone I know has and we live in a high income area of No. VA. I think it''s a matter of where you live, what you do, what your priorities are, and if you can really afford it.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2005 6:43:10 PM
Author: snlee

I see them often enough, but usually attached to more "mature" ladies. In the high income areas of course. I doubt they were e-rings. All the younger ladies seem to sport 1-2 carats around here. I think .75 is a good average if you get out of the high income areas like Beverly Hills.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I guess that''s why I haven''t seen any. I''m not in the high income areas of so cal.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
snlee, I have seen a few around the SF Bay Area.
My neighbor next door wears a 3 ct bezel set diamond and he is a guy. Haven''t seen his wife''s rings yet.
Then there was another neighbor who had a 3.7 ct "J" which I could see the color in who lived a few houses down from us, then there are 2 more neighbors who have what looks at 2 ct rings, then there are a few ladies at work who wear large diamonds (one lady even wears 3 tennis bracelets at once), and then of course little ole me but I didn''t think I was a "mature woman" yet ... haven''t even reached middle age yet, well maybe
emsmile.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2005 6:43:10 PM
Author: snlee

well.....i notice most of the ladies here on ps with 3-4 ct e-rings are from CA or NY.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I think 2 ct is the start of “big” for me. 3+ would definitely have me pointing it out to my husband!!!!

I live in an affluent part of Southern California, where starter “condos” are in the half million dollar range, average single family homes start at 800k and the nicer ones are all in the millions. I still don’t see the 3-4 carat rocks! I’d say the average is about 1-2 carats where I live. I think the ladies I see here on PS that have the HONKERS are mostly from Manhattan or other large metropolises on the EAST COAST. I’ve also noticed that a lot of these 20-something year old ladies in Manhattan start with a 2-3 ct. for their starter engagement ring….who knows how big their rings will get as they start aging and upgrading.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2005 7:54:11 PM
Author: jaysonsmom

I live in an affluent part of Southern California, where starter “condos” are in the half million dollar range, average single family homes start at 800k and the nicer ones are all in the millions.

You must live near me. I dunno how I''m gonna buy a home.
29.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2005 7:27:32 PM
Author: cflutist
My neighbor next door wears a 3 ct bezel set diamond and he is a guy. Haven''t seen his wife''s rings yet.
Then there was another neighbor who had a 3.7 ct ''J'' which I could see the color in who lived a few houses down from us, then there are 2 more neighbors who have what looks at 2 ct rings, then there are a few ladies at work who wear large diamonds (one lady even wears 3 tennis bracelets at once), and then of course little ole me but I didn''t think I was a ''mature woman'' yet ... haven''t even reached middle age yet, well maybe
emsmile.gif
cflutist
your neighbor sounds like my kind of guy.wow!!! 3ct.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2005 8
6.gif
1:14 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Then there was another neighbor who had a 3.7 ct ''J'' which I could see the color in who lived a few houses down from us, then there are 2 more neighbors who have what looks at 2 ct rings, then there are a few ladies at work who wear large diamonds (one lady even wears 3 tennis bracelets at once), and then of course little ole me but I didn''t think I was a ''mature woman'' yet ... haven''t even reached middle age yet, well maybe
emsmile.gif
cflutist
He is actually a pretty down to earth fellow. Even though he owns proabably 15 different commercial properties and 2 different businesses, and has a full time gardener, I have seen him shoveling horse manure for his garden and he will toss zucchini over the fence for us.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I''m guessing either South OC (including Irvine) or West LA.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The biggest ring I''ve ever seen on a person was in Newport Beach. That thing covered her entire joint, from knuckle to knuckle, spilling over both sides. Beautifully cut too... that thing sparkled like a mother. Absolutely amazing.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.gif
7:20 PM

6.gif
1:14 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

emsmile.gif
cflutist
He is actually a pretty down to earth fellow. Even though he owns proabably 15 different commercial properties and 2 different businesses, and has a full time gardener, I have seen him shoveling horse manure for his garden and he will toss zucchini over the fence for us.
one of these day he might toss that 3 ct over to your side of the fence.
23.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the Bay I think it''s different than S. CA somewhat...in my circles I don''t have any friends that have a diamond larger than 2c...but these are gals in their late 20''s and early 30s and I am really the biggest diamond nut amongst them. I have seen some more ''mature'' women with larger rings...but I don''t think in my age range that is a common thing...also N. CA is not really as ''flashy'' as S. CA so I would expect larger rings in S.CA esp with affluent areas.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I am falling victim to serious shrinkage...Now, I think 4.5-5 cts is big.
20.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've seen quite a few diamonds around one carat, but generally, I see an average of the norm of .75 here in the North Seattle area.

The two bigger diamonds I've seen that stand out in my mind have been at Costco. One woman had on a gorgeous colorless bezel set 2+ carat stone that looked clean, classic, and impecible. She was dressed causually and carried off her ring wonderfully. The other huge diamond was at least 3 carats and visably yellow and sort of sat there like day old lemon jello that had been left out on the counter. This woman was around 50 and acted like she was the queen of the food court. Her ring, I didn't find too impressive, mostly because of her attitude!
2.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Just for fun I did a PS search on the home page for diamonds - 7 to 20 carats.... It came back with 1 page.

Diamonds found: 23

Round, 7-20 cts, D-G color, VS2-SI1 clarity, 58-63% depth, 53-62% table, , GIA and AGS certified

The stones ranged from 7ct to 12.68ct. The prices were up there....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results