shape
carat
color
clarity

What can you tell me from this ideal-scope pic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Don't know why the pic disappeared, so I've placed it again further down the thread. My ideal-scope has arrived. Ok, I'm ignorant. The white at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock in this picture happens to line up with the band. Anything this tells me? I was looking specifically for light along the edges, because the AGS cert specifies the girdle as .9 to 1.4%, whereas the GCAL report says 3%. I understand that can be a function of where it is measured, and that the AGS is unlikely to measure at the "redline". I am concerned that the discrepancy might indicate a "cheated girdle" (took some research to begin to understand that term). So, does this pic help any of you pros out there make such a judgement? I know that the diamond being set alters the way I should compare to the charts. Any guess is better than mine. I've got 14 days to make a final decision on this ring. Just want to be sure this stone is something my daughter will be proud of and want to keep when she inherits it someday. Thanks.

idealscope797b.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fantastic stone - the difference is the normal 1.6 to 1.7% sono cheated girdle either - which we would dsee in your ideal-scope pic
1.gif

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is a photo of my EightStar through an H&A viewer, which is similar to the I.S.

You have a wonderful stone and I would not worry an iota about the little white spots you see.

IMHO of course.

EightStarHASmall.jpg

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Rodentman - Whoa - that is an amazing image. Looks like some art deco hand blown glass art piece. Thanks for the feedback.

Gary - haven't a clue what a "normal 1.6 to 1.7% sono cheated girdle" means, but your skill and knowledge is reassuring. Thanks for taking the time.

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Sorry - for some reason the pic disappeared. Here it is again. So why does the white show at 6 and 12? Just coincidental that that's where the leakage is?

idealscope797.jpg

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
EightStar images also make great tattoos.

Estatdone2.jpg

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm speechless. Ow.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Wow RM,

Did you really get an 8 star Tat? Impressive!

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Oh - now I get it. As usual, it's not the math that's intimidating, it's knowing what to do with it. Thanks, Gary.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi MikesGirl,

Very good job for an amateur photo. You did an excellent job of centering the lens over the table of the diamond. What you are saying is correct. Those white areas are areas of leakage within the stone. With an idealscope it is virtually impossible to see the contrasts between the dark/pale reds as I can see in our LightScope so in that pic we are just seeing a contrast of light return/leakage and for a BN stone that is not bad at all. Internal symmetry looks right on.

Hi RM,

Good to see you on the forum. I do not understand how your picture or tattoo helps MG with her question (unless you're trying to plug 8* for some reason) anyhow it's good to see an old face.

Kind regards,
Rhino

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 9/15/2003 2:22:22 PM Rhino wrote:

Hi MikesGirl,

With an idealscope it is virtually impossible to see the contrasts between the dark/pale reds as I can see in our LightScope so in that pic we are just seeing a contrast of light return/leakage and for a BN stone that is not bad at all. Kind regards,
Rhino
----------------
Rhino a point of order if you please
1.gif

The $25 Ideal-scope. The $120 version has no limitation
1.gif

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback, Rhino. I'll take that as high praise from a BN competitor and a pro at diamond photography. This forum has taken me a long way towards understanding how to make a better choice and the ideal-scope has been a useful tool, but I know I am still less than a novice. I've no doubt the LightScope could give me more info, though I'm still struggling with understanding the subtleties (I've spent many hours at GOG website, clicking on the Sarin reports and virtual images, learning, learning). I've got to admit that wading through BN's stones and putting them through the HCA and AGA tests was part of the fun of this process - searching for the pearl among the swine. Guess that's the architect/engineer in me. It was unquestionably harder to find this HCA .7 than I think it should have been, and it may still have characteristics I'll regret when I learn more, thus my concerns about the possibility of a cheated girdle. Still, it seems to talk to me. You guys are great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results