shape
carat
color
clarity

What can 5k get me, including the ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
I am curious, after much searching for a colored stone I like, what I could get for 5k that includes a ring and diamond(s). I have already figured out that my best bet is to buy vintage or OEC diamonds if that is what I give in to doing, but have always kind of had the idea that good diamonds the size I want are waaay out of my budget.

I would have liked to have 2+ carats in three stones or less. SOmething that is very sparkly is most important; I could get something with a minor eye vsisble inclusion if it's really sparkly (pron. "thparkly "). I wouldn't mind a stone that isn't white but I am not a big fan of the brown diamonds.

Any ideas/links/pictures?

PS I strongly prefer platinum:D

Note: I definitely don't want any enhanced diamonds.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Somethings got to give. 2 ctw, three stones in platinum settings do not come cheap. Usually around or over 15K for that combo in H&A Assuming 1.5 center and .25 sides.

What can 5K get you? Depends on the shape you want. In a round, including a 14K whitegold basic setting (assume 300 for the setting)... just under a carat in a H&A with higher color clarity. Possibily a carat in lower clarity or color. In different shapes... a carat likely in decent color and clarity with nice cut in a white gold setting.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6880/ Since you said OEC. It's a J and lovely and a full carat. Add 300 and you can stick it in a standard four or six prong 14K white gold basic setting. You can always upgrade both the diamond with GOG, or the setting (anywhere).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2010 2:54:32 AM
Author: Gypsy
Somethings got to give. 2 ctw, three stones in platinum settings do not come cheap. Usually around or over 15K for that combo in H&A Assuming 1.5 center and .25 sides.

What can 5K get you? Depends on the shape you want. In a round, including a 14K whitegold basic setting (assume 300 for the setting)... just under a carat in a H&A with higher color clarity. Possibily a carat in lower clarity or color. In different shapes... a carat likely in decent color and clarity with nice cut in a white gold setting.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6880/ Since you said OEC. It''s a J and lovely and a full carat. Add 300 and you can stick it in a standard four or six prong 14K white gold basic setting. You can always upgrade both the diamond with GOG, or the setting (anywhere).
Thats a beauty Gypsy!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lorelei! I did a double take when I clicked on it and saw the pics. It is a stunner. GOG has some nice OEC''s man, who knew?

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 5:39:22 AM
Thanks Lorelei! I did a double take when I clicked on it and saw the pics. It is a stunner. GOG has some nice OEC''s man, who knew?
I wouldn''t classify that as an OEC at all. It mimicks the style but is not quite right. I thought I loved it at first but now I''d rather the "real thing" I do like the August Vintage Cushion though.

Vintage pieces will get you further with $5K but I am not sure you will get 2 ctw

I found this quickly on e-bay which is just over 1.5 ctw. Looks promising.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1-35ct-DIAMOND-SOLITAIRE-ACCENTS-PLATINUM-RING_W0QQitemZ130329248268QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fine_Rings?hash=item1e583a820c

Finding good vintage is hard and it can be luck of the draw. It all depends on what kinds of quality in a center stone you are looking for.

If you want to build a ring, you might want to check out http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/index.php since they have some beautiful vintage stones.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
How about the 1.04ct Transitional from JBEG--second diamond down on the page?

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/loose_antique_diamonds

That would leave enough for a nice solitaire setting.

Also check out the Diamond Rings page, there are some beautiful pieces, including a ~1.5ct OEC in a platinum ring. It's a little over the 5k budget, but is a great size for the money. Photos are here.

Here are few other estate choices in different styles. I don't know anything about the company other than they always have some great looking pieces if you have the time to look through their inventory.

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/1.10ct-edwardian-platinum-engagement-ring/11016/3/item

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/1.27ct-old-mine-cut-platinum-diamond-engagement-ring/1886/3/item

Over 2cttw, but white gold
http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/2.10ct--14k-white-gold-diamond-anniversary--ring/9085/3/item

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
Sorry, but what does OEC stand for?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Old European Cut.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How about antiqueengagementrings.com

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2010 9:42:06 AM
Author: GoldfishPie
Sorry, but what does OEC stand for?
[/url] thread interesting from the Timeless Classics forum.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jet, I adore that transitional from JBEG! What a lovely diamond, great color, lovely facetting. And 4K for a full carat. Awesome. Please 1K for a setting. Which gets you something something basic in platinum, or something like an engraved solitaire with milgrain and some pave in the shank in white gold. Beautiful!

The ebay one looks photoshopped or like a stock photo. I think it looks scary not frightening. No information about lab grading on the stone. No color, no clarity informaiton and just one photo. http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1-35ct-DIAMOND-SOLITAIRE-ACCENTS-PLATINUM-RING_W0QQitemZ130329248268QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fine_Rings?hash=item1e583a820c Not a safe bet. Plus the seller has less than a 100% rating, which when it comes to jewelry... not okay, IMO.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 4:43:54 PM
Jet, I adore that transitional from JBEG! What a lovely diamond, great color, lovely facetting. And 4K for a full carat. Awesome. Please 1K for a setting. Which gets you something something basic in platinum, or something like an engraved solitaire with milgrain and some pave in the shank in white gold. Beautiful!
Did you check out the video? It looks so pretty in the shade and then is moved into the sun and the fire that thing shoots out! OMG!
30.gif
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just did. Gorgeous. I actually just checked my account to see if I could swing buying it for me. That''s how much I like it. Alas. Not for a few more months. Ahh well. Just ridiculously lovely.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
I really like the 1.1 RB from JBEG, a little less than halfway on this page:

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/diamond_ringsengagement_rings

It scores a 0.7 on the HCA. It is included, but if that doesn''t bother you, this seems like a great price on a white, well-cut stone that''s already set in platinum. You could use the remaining $1250 of your budget towards a really blingly (er, thparkly
2.gif
) wedding band!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I would buy something from JBEG, and might also contact them to tell them what I want and see if they could source it. I like the savings of buying estate/vintage pieces and am willing to pay the extra premium to have someone like JBEG do the sourcing work. Plus Erica seems like a real cool lady from her posts here
9.gif

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 2:54:32 AM

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6880/ Since you said OEC. It''s a J and lovely and a full carat. Add 300 and you can stick it in a standard four or six prong 14K white gold basic setting. You can always upgrade both the diamond with GOG, or the setting (anywhere).

TY, that''s the nicest old cut I have seen, and I have been a-lookin!

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Jean, thanks for the links. The price on that ebay listing is quite good. Too bad they don''t have more details, but I did contact them

I will also check out the other site ty

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Jet, I spent over three hours on the those sites this morning. And it''s your fault! LOL thanks for giving me some great leads!

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 5:48:18 PM
Author: karpouzi

It scores a 0.7 on the HCA. It is included, but if that doesn''t bother you, this seems like a great price on a white, well-cut stone that''s already set in platinum. You could use the remaining $1250 of your budget towards a really blingly (er, thparkly
2.gif
) wedding band!
Date: 1/22/2010 5:48:18 PM
Author: karpouzi

2.gif
) wedding band!
Good idea Karpouzi! Really one of the best ideas...I have seen.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I
30.gif
that ring. I hope you get it
2.gif

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 4:43:54 PM

The ebay one looks photoshopped or like a stock photo. I think it looks scary not frightening. No information about lab grading on the stone. No color, no clarity informaiton and just one photo. http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1-35ct-DIAMOND-SOLITAIRE-ACCENTS-PLATINUM-RING_W0QQitemZ130329248268QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fine_Rings?hash=item1e583a820c Not a safe bet. Plus the seller has less than a 100% rating, which when it comes to jewelry... not okay, IMO.
You are right there was no information which is why I said promising. More information would be required. And to me I cannot say it looks photoshopped or not. It was showing similar colors that I got in a few pictures I took of my transition cut. I work in photoshop for other things not relating to jewelry and flashes of color don't mean much to me and are not telling. I have a picture of a ring I bought on ebay that some people said looked shopped (not here but elsewhere) and guess what? It wasn't. It is hard to tell on small pictures. To me it looked like someone had to color correct and didn't bring in the contrast as they lightened the picture. On one like that I would ask for information and additional pictures of the ring.

However I 100% disagree with you on ratings. I will NOT buy from anyone who has less than a 99.5% approval raiting. I prefer 100%. The trick on e-bay is to see what the comments are like on the seller. However usually when it dips below my point there are true issues with the seller. At least with 100% you are pretty much guaranteed you will get your money back even if it is not what you thought. So no, 100% is not a bad thing. In fact it is a good thing to me.

I did forget Jewels by Erica Grace so I am glad someone linked to them. Just totally mind blanked. There are some beautiful items there.

Estate sales are top for trying to find a piece if you know what you are looking for. They have a tendency to sell way below appraisal value because they are trying to close out an estate. That in itself is a real pain so the quicker the sale the better as it can take well in an excess of a year or even 2 to close out estates. I highly suggest also checking out local estate sales to see what you can find. The ring in my avatar is an estate find. It really is a beautiful 40ish point transition cut with two single cut diamonds on either side. Set in 14K white gold and purchased for $115. It was on ebay too and I was lucky to find it. I've had two jewelers check it out and they cannot believe what I found. Both have given verbals for at least $1500 appraisal. I just haven't done a full out written one yet. I should for insurance purposes but we've been busy due to the holidays.

Personally I wouldn't classify the Scott Kay as vintage at all being only 2 years old. Totally different look with the center stones.

I did see this closer to what you wanted in size but a bit more than you wanted to spend
http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/engagement_rings/antique_175ct_european_diamond_platinum_engagement_ring.html

I don't know a thing about the company, but I think it shows a price I would expect to find for a ring like that in a store.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Hi Jean, not sure why you are commenting on disagreeing about ebay feedback?? I will do more than just assess a seller based on their score, such as use toolhaus.org and see what their past sales are for. I have never had a problem on ebay and bought many pieces of jewelry there.

As for the ring, it's very nice...estate sales are a good idea. I am just afraid of getting an enhanced diamond. There is no way to be sure unless it is GIA graded or can be easily returned after you send it to a lab.

That ring you sent a link to is really nicely priced; it is so hard to judge a diamond, especially an antique one, on the internet. That is why I likie erica grace's site so much; she tries to get the stones in various lighting and whatnot. This website doesn't even have the diamonds specs posted.

OK, thanks again:)

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Thanks asscher girl, but I am looking for 2.5ct or more (I thought I said it in my original post but nobody seemed to notice LOL). And I just don''t think dover has a good return policy and I don''t like their website. But that first ring you linked to is a great deal, however I am not expert enough to say I would like the diamond based on the poor photos.

SO I don''t much bother with dover. Love lang tho!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results