shape
carat
color
clarity

What BUGS You & Doesn't Bother Anybody Else?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
It bugs me when people ask for advice on choosing a diamond, then go out and buy whatever the salesperson has told them is better.

So if you're going to waste your money on a .5 ct IF stone, why did you ask me how to get the best bang for you buck?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1292731266|2800735 said:
No, they're not cheaper!

Here's another one. This one is actually "my pet peeve" of all time.

The difference between "me" and "I".

I went to the game.

He gave the tickets for the game to him and ME. Take out the "him and" part and see if "I" or "me" sounds/ is correct.

My pet peeve is that teachers (and not just teachers, schools, administrators, everyone) have students for k, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12th grades.

Do you mean to tell me that in 13 years, students can't be taught the difference between when to use "I" and when to use "me"?

I could teach a student this on 1 11x8 piece of paper, and being generous, it would take me 2 days. :errrr:

Or "lay" in place of "lie". That drives me nutty. It's *not* difficult - and I see it even in published works! :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Weather reporters who tell you in January that snow is due & it's gonna be cold, in the tone you'd use to say your mother just died. Big huge surprise and tragedy, snow & cold weather. IT'S JANUARY, nimrod, OF COURSE IT'S GONNA SNOW! I want to shake 'em silly.

--- Laurie

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, they're not cheaper!

I went to the game.

He gave the tickets for the game to him and ME. Take out the "him and" part and see if "I" or "me" sounds/ is correct.

My pet peeve is that teachers (and not just teachers, schools, administrators, everyone) have students for k, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12th grades.

Do you mean to tell me that in 13 years, students can't be taught the difference between when to use "I" and when to use "me"?

I could teach a student this on 1 11x8 piece of paper, and being generous, it would take me 2 days. :errrr:

HA! I JUST did a lesson on this because it drives me crazy too. I've told my students not to write "Me and..." on anything because they WILL be getting it back to rewrite. I teach second grade, by the way.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1292762634|2800858 said:
Weather reporters who tell you in January that snow is due & it's gonna be cold, in the tone you'd use to say your mother just died. Big huge surprise and tragedy, snow & cold weather. IT'S JANUARY, nimrod, OF COURSE IT'S GONNA SNOW! I want to shake 'em silly.

--- Laurie
This makes me laugh every year. I also find it funny that, during a snow storm (which we haven't had this year yet), the newscasters and meteorologists put on "breaking news specials" for hours just to talk about the snow. Yes, it snows. That's SUPPOSED to happen in the winter (obviously, depending on where you live). Why make such a big deal of it? If it's not the storm of the century, there's no need to have hours and hours of coverage of it.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

My pet peeve is people who insist that your sentence should have been written "for k, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12th grades" instead of "[...] 10, 11, and 12th grades" as you did.

RARGH! It's called the Oxford Comma, people! USE IT! It's correct for a very good reason! :angryfire:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
That's interesting. I was taught it was optional. But I always use it. (Not saying what I was taught was correct; it came from some 8th grade English teacher I don't remember).

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny|1292803855|2801282 said:
That's interesting. I was taught it was optional. But I always use it. (Not saying what I was taught was correct; it came from some 8th grade English teacher I don't remember).

It's because it creates a false correlation between the last two items. An Oxford Comma is the correct way to create a list because it allows you to relate items together in the list, for example: "I like bananas, red and green grapes, apples, red and white grapefruits, pears, and pomegranates."

If you put "pears and pomegranates" instead of "pears, and pomegranates" it would imply a false relation between pears and pomegranates that does not exist, whereas the relation between red and green grapes, or red and white grapefruit, is logical.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe|1292763131|2800862 said:

--- Laurie
This makes me laugh every year. I also find it funny that, during a snow storm (which we haven't had this year yet), the newscasters and meteorologists put on "breaking news specials" for hours just to talk about the snow. Yes, it snows. That's SUPPOSED to happen in the winter (obviously, depending on where you live). Why make such a big deal of it? If it's not the storm of the century, there's no need to have hours and hours of coverage of it.

Thirded! I live in NW Ohio and....SURPRISE....it snows here! Like for at least three months out of the year! So why is this news!? And whenever there's a thunderstorm in August GAH! This is NOT breaking news! Granted, we did have a tornado go through a suburb this past summer and that was news, but then every time it as much as sprinkled after that there were breaking news alerts every ten minutes. So annoying!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Apparently this bugs not another soul on PS, but it bugs me: self-centered posters. People that write ONLY on their own thread and no one else's. There's a poster with 2 threads, both on the same subject, with over 500 responses between the 2 threads. 500 times other people have reached out to help him. How many posts has he made on other threads?

Zero. Not one.

I feel this is self-centered.

Hey, how about we ALL do that? That would really make for a fun and dynamic forum. :rolleyes:

I have been told I stand alone on this, but that's how I feel.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Galateia|1292813857|2801397 said:
An Oxford Comma is the correct way to create a list because it allows you to relate items together in the list, for example: "I like bananas, red and green grapes, apples, red and white grapefruits, pears, and pomegranates."

If you put "pears and pomegranates" instead of "pears, and pomegranates" it would imply a false relation between pears and pomegranates that does not exist, whereas the relation between red and green grapes, or red and white grapefruit, is logical.

Great example, Galateia. I think of myself as a good writer but never thought that through. Thanks for a needed punctuation lesson; now I'll think about you every time I put in that comma!

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1292846486|2801593 said:
Apparently this bugs not another soul on PS, but it bugs me: self-centered posters. People that write ONLY on their own thread and no one else's. There's a poster with 2 threads, both on the same subject, with over 500 responses between the 2 threads. 500 times other people have reached out to help him. How many posts has he made on other threads?

Zero. Not one.

Hey, how about we ALL do that? That would really make for a fun and dynamic forum. :rolleyes:

I don't know who you're talking about. :confused:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1292903518|2802430 said:
iLander|1292846486|2801593 said:

Zero. Not one.

I don't know who you're talking about. :confused:

Oh, just me making trouble in colored stones. I suggested that Steve (as in Steve Needs a Ring) might want to contribute to other people's threads. You can read the fracas in his thread. I got an admin warning . . .

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I got one once. You best heed that as I did! I don't want you going anywhere.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
holy cow...I got all agitated just READING this thread! :cheeky:

I'm sure I have some too, although I can't think of any right now that normally don't bug other people as well. Maybe one might be something I noticed lately:

Fancy designer websites. When I was researching necklaces, I saw that so many design houses had beautiful looking websites, but they were HORRIBLE to navigate. Flash fancy stuff. I didn't even bother with some sites after while because it was so infuriating.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1292762473|2800857 said:
No, they're not cheaper!

I went to the game.

Or "lay" in place of "lie". That drives me nutty. It's *not* difficult - and I see it even in published works! :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

To be honest, and I have a BA from a pretty rigorous school, I didn't think much about this until I read this post, but after reading this, I looked it up. Ok, so I think I have this right. "Lie on the couch." "Lay a piece of paper down on a table." I hope that's right!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1292912896|2802517 said:
Yssie|1292762473|2800857 said:
No, they're not cheaper!

I went to the game.

To be honest, and I have a BA from a pretty rigorous school, I didn't think much about this until I read this post, but after reading this, I looked it up. Ok, so I think I have this right. "Lie on the couch." "Lay a piece of paper down on a table." I hope that's right!

bingo ;))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
:bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1292905178|2802453 said:

I guess I just blew up because I am extra sensitive to what I perceive as self-centered behaviour lately, since I am confronted with my DS's rudeness. Maybe we'll all be together next Christmas. :rolleyes: At this point it just makes me mad, so I lashed out. I am SO bad at bottling things up, it's totally not a skill I developed.

I've been reading the Tao, sometimes that helps, but it's not working that well right now . . .

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crosses along the highway. And no, it has nothing at all to do with some religious bigotry. Around here, (I can't speak for other parts of the country), we seem to have been having a spate, in recent years, of people putting up crosses along highways to commemorate the exact spot their loved one died in a car crash. And seriously, they are just everywhere. Now don't get me wrong, I realize that losing a loved one is horrible, but dang, people, that's why they have cemeteries! So you have a dedicated place to commemorate your loved one. There is a reason we don't put up memorials at the exact spot that grandma keeled over in the grocery store aisle. That and I find it to be a very self-centered expression of grief. I lost a loved one here, and because my grief is so much greater than everyone else's, I'm going to force the whole WORLD to view my grief every day on their way to work. For YEARS. :rolleyes: If you want to set up a shrine in your back yard to Great Aunt Matilda, go for it, but along the highway? Nope.

We all lose someone at some point. Bludgeoning others with it is crass. I wish our state would remove them, but I suppose the cry would go up about religious discrimination or some such rot, rather than it being a case of crapping up the easements with signage that has no permit.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Neighborhood Potlucks -- like the ones churches, neighborhood associations, etc., organize to save money and encourage people to get to know each other better. Something about eating food made by people I don't know just gross me out. If I have to attend, I just eat the packaged stuff. And I bring only packaged stuff.

I know, how non-communal of me.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lula|1292941141|2802716 said:
Neighborhood Potlucks -- like the ones churches, neighborhood associations, etc., organize to save money and encourage people to get to know each other better. Something about eating food made by people I don't know just gross me out. If I have to attend, I just eat the packaged stuff. And I bring only packaged stuff.

I know, how non-communal of me.

I think this is a good instinct. My aunt and uncle bring food to potlucks, and I have SEEN their kitchen! :shock:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1292940443|2802708 said:
Crosses along the highway. And no, it has nothing at all to do with some religious bigotry. Around here, (I can't speak for other parts of the country), we seem to have been having a spate, in recent years, of people putting up crosses along highways to commemorate the exact spot their loved one died in a car crash. And seriously, they are just everywhere. Now don't get me wrong, I realize that losing a loved one is horrible, but dang, people, that's why they have cemeteries! So you have a dedicated place to commemorate your loved one. There is a reason we don't put up memorials at the exact spot that grandma keeled over in the grocery store aisle. That and I find it to be a very self-centered expression of grief. I lost a loved one here, and because my grief is so much greater than everyone else's, I'm going to force the whole WORLD to view my grief every day on their way to work. For YEARS. :rolleyes: If you want to set up a shrine in your back yard to Great Aunt Matilda, go for it, but along the highway? Nope.

We all lose someone at some point. Bludgeoning others with it is crass. I wish our state would remove them, but I suppose the cry would go up about religious discrimination or some such rot, rather than it being a case of crapping up the easements with signage that has no permit.

I look at those crosses as kind of instructional: bad stretch of road, slow down. Then I say a quick prayer.

I feel REALLY sad when I see dead animals on the side of the road. ;( They also get a quick prayer. . .

CUSO

Shiny_Rock
People who let their dogs roam the neighborhood. I am at war with a 15 pound min-pin who blocks my driveway everytime I try to enter. I hate him

iLander

Ideal_Rock
CUSO|1292942648|2802751 said:
People who let their dogs roam the neighborhood. I am at war with a 15 pound min-pin who blocks my driveway everytime I try to enter. I hate him

I had the SAME problem, with a 80 lb German Shephard that knocked my young daughter over in MY YARD! I was livid, but the owners refused to do anything about it. They were hippy-dippy types (I usually love a good hippy, but this was ridiculous) who thought the "dog's spirit should run free".

So, I got one of these motion-sensing sprinklers.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=motion+sensor+sprinkler&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=motion+sensor+sprinkler&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FsEQTd-SM4K88gb0_ry5Dg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQrQQwAA&biw=1253&bih=851&fp=a98e9296c0293303

Dogs learn quick.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1292942552|2802748 said:

I look at those crosses as kind of instructional: bad stretch of road, slow down. Then I say a quick prayer.

I feel REALLY sad when I see dead animals on the side of the road. ;( They also get a quick prayer. . .

I suppose you can look at them like that, but they're still incredibly self-centered and in poor taste.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DivaDiamond007|1292819005|2801456 said:
Zoe|1292763131|2800862 said:

--- Laurie

Thirded! I live in NW Ohio and....SURPRISE....it snows here! Like for at least three months out of the year! So why is this news!? And whenever there's a thunderstorm in August GAH! This is NOT breaking news! Granted, we did have a tornado go through a suburb this past summer and that was news, but then every time it as much as sprinkled after that there were breaking news alerts every ten minutes. So annoying!

They're following the Oklahoma model. "OMG! There's a raindrop in McCurtain county!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The weather here is admittedly "news", but they go so incredibly overboard covering it. Down to the freaking STREET level. For hours and hours and... I kid you not. Our weathermen are truly the best in the country, with the best state-of-the-art equipment, bar none, but the way they follow storms around here is just insane, and it all comes from the May 3rd tornado in 1999. After that, hysteria has pretty much ruled on all our local news stations. They are of course, also clawing for ratings, now that news is more fluff entertainment than news....

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When a snow storm is coming, and people flock to the grocery store and the whole time they're whispering to each other OMG OMG a snowstorm what're we going to do OMG..and I'm like um..don't you live RIGHT across the street from the grocery store? WTF are you freaking out for? When you live out of town, yeah, I get it, but..even last year when we had 5 feet of snow there wasn't one single person trapped in their house for weeks on end. It's not Little House on the Prairie. We're not twisting hay in the lean to, and we're not going to have to rely on Cap and Manly to save the town.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1292938612|2802675 said:
Imdanny|1292905178|2802453 said:

I guess I just blew up because I am extra sensitive to what I perceive as self-centered behaviour lately, since I am confronted with my DS's rudeness. Maybe we'll all be together next Christmas. :rolleyes: At this point it just makes me mad, so I lashed out. I am SO bad at bottling things up, it's totally not a skill I developed.

I've been reading the Tao, sometimes that helps, but it's not working that well right now . . .

I hear you! Do you see this well controlled, calm, friendly, wonderful ( :bigsmile: ) internet persona I've developed? It took a lot of work (and I mean years). I used to get into flame wars with the best of them.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

You wouldn't like Hawaii! We have those and not only do we have them, the families put t-shirts, mementos, and flowers on and next to the markers, I mean for years.

People here get window stickers for their car or truck that emblazon across the rear window, "In loving memory of Kimo, X date- to X date- the light of our life". I've never seen anything like it. I don't have any bumper stickers on my car. I've never had any bumper sticker on any of my cars. Even when I went to college, I didn't advertise the fact.

I will say, though, that as far as the spot where someone had an accident, my brother had an accident that put him in a coma for six months when he was 16, and you do want to see that spot. It's like wanting to know how a loved one died. I went there and I saw where it happened.

But I agree with you that roadside memorials, hmm, not my thing.

I've seen maps of our county. You can look at a county map and see dots on the roads where there have been fatalities. If you really knew how many there were and how they were distributed, you'd see they happen pretty much everyone on major roads. Even here, the number of memorials aren't close to the number of places where actual fatalities happened, so this is a definite choice these families are making. I don't quite understand it. Even if my brother had died, I never would have expected or wanted a roadside memorial, and then to visit it weekly? No.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results