shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your thoughts on how government is handling COVID-19

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lets deal with the hypocrisy of that shall we - you can spend 6 to 6.5 trillion dollars on the war on terror in places like Iraq and Afghanistan (source);
I was against the war.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but you can blame economic mismanagement from both sides of politics in the US for that. Irrespective of your debt levels if you need to take on more debt to solve this crisis that seems the logical choice over letting people die. Instead you and many others seem in favour of letting people die because of the economic cost of shutting everything except medical services and basic supply services like food etc down.

Lets deal with the hypocrisy of that shall we - you can spend 6 to 6.5 trillion dollars on the war on terror in places like Iraq and Afghanistan (source);

Yet you cannot spend that amount helping people that experience job losses through economic assistance to do what is necessary to slow this virus down.

So to be blunt, it's O.K to let your citizens die from this virus, to save your economy because you are arguing you cannot afford it, yet you can spend trillions instead on other things, like for example, a war you will never win.....

Arkie, please will you come be our president? I cannot stress enough how sincere I am when I say this.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was against the war.

So you are arguing it's O.K to allow massive numbers of people to die because your country cannot afford an economic bailout to shut all non essential businesses down?

I'm pointing out to you and anyone else that doesn't get it, that is a morally reprehensible way to deal with the situation.

@Dee*Jay - I'm pretty sure the rules state "no Aussies allowed" in the job description. Before Trump was elected I would have also assumed that no former TV reality show imbeciles should be allowed either.... Shall we blame Reagan for normalising actors as Presidents....

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't choose a side for you; I simply summarized exactly what you've done.
That may be what you choose to see but no, that is not at all what I said. I know it's easier if you force people into one box or the other but there are other options.

Last edited:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
The numbers are being calculated for unemployment payouts in our state and anyone earning <$50,000 will actually be much better off unemployed right now. Not a bad deal. Word is spreading fast. The county unemployment office is not only flooded with people who are actually unemployed but by those trying to figure out how to get laid off even if they are deemed 'essential.'
Those who think we are not taking care of people are just plain wrong.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That may be what you choose to see but no, that is not at all what I said. I know it's easier if you force people into one box or the other but there are other options.

You mean like how you completely wrote off Tekate’s thoughtful reply and told her she just wants to blame Trump?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
You mean like how you completely wrote off Tekate’s thoughtful reply and told her she just wants to blame Trump?

she did blame trump several times directly and also indirectly. I didn’t put her in a box, she got into it all by herself.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I hate getting into politics but when I saw this in my mailbox today I was a bit... hmm... I'll just leave it here.

Back of the card did contain sound advice.

20200401_173415~2.jpg

The original card did NOT have Trump's name. He is using the daily briefing as another rally. Whenever he speaks, you know half of what he says is misinformation if not outright lies.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers are being calculated for unemployment payouts in our state and anyone earning <$50,000 will actually be much better off unemployed right now. Not a bad deal. Word is spreading fast. The county unemployment office is not only flooded with people who are actually unemployed but by those trying to figure out how to get laid off even if they are deemed 'essential.'

Yes, because no Democrat would vote for the amendment to keep the cap at 100% of a person's income. I can't believe either party allowed this to happen in the first place.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, because no Democrat would vote for the amendment to keep the cap at 100% of a person's income. I can't believe either party allowed this to happen in the first place.
It might be a bit harder to get people back to work when it’s time. I have a family member who was complaining bitterly about the restaurant where she worked laying her off when the state shut down the dining room (they kept some kitchen and wait staff to keep carry out going). I’m assuming she‘s figured out the math because she’s not complaining anymore. Unfortunately she’s low on work ethic, she may ride out the unemployment checks to the end even if her restaurant reopens.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
she did blame trump several times directly and also indirectly. I didn’t put her in a box, she got into it all by herself.

Tekate gave you a thoughtful reply, acknowledging the validity of some points you made, and providing reliable news sources to explain where she felt Trump should be held accountable. Your response was to impugn Tekate and falsely accuse her of blaming Trump without regard for facts. It's dishonest to say that you didn't put her in a box.

I didn't choose sides for you before, but I'll oblige you now and place you on my ignore list.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you are arguing it's O.K to allow massive numbers of people to die because your country cannot afford an economic bailout to shut all non essential businesses down?
depending for how long?. 2 months yes, longer no.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dr. Fauci is receiving death threats. Apparently they are related to "his actions" ruining the US economy.

REALLY?!?!?

WTF is wrong with people...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Money? means nothing, I have enough to make my rent for a year and to eat.
I can see DF's point on this one - I'm not sure anyone would say 'money means nothing' if they had none of it, rather than having enough money to live for a whole year without worries... lol

@arkieb1 please keep us in your thoughts. Just got this text. Unfreaking believable :(

“ Notify NYC: Many NYC Parks are open for exercise & play, but do your part, keep your distance & stay at least 6 ft from others. ”

Please close the damn parks.

The politicians can put people out of work but allow people to pack into the city parks. :(
Isn't NYC basically just a concrete jungle apart from the few parks? Being able to access green space to get exercise is important for mental health as well as physical health, and one could argue that being well spread out in several acres of park is better than everyone trying to cram onto sidewalks while running/walking!

I saw this graph posted elsewhere earlier - UK national statistics showing weekly death rates amongst the elderly (75-84) over the past decade or so. This year's line appears to be broadly on-trend with previous years, albeit perhaps a little higher:

bZBf266k.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny

I can see DF's point on this one - I'm not sure anyone would say 'money means nothing' if they had none of it, rather than having enough money to live for a whole year without worries... lol

Okay if we are doing semantics "money means a lot less in a time when my family's life could be in danger" I pay taxes and I expect my federal and state governments to do its/their best to ensure they are working on a cure/vaccine/help in this time (I actually prefer they spend money on health vs the big war machine but I digress).

I saw this graph posted elsewhere earlier - UK national statistics showing weekly death rates amongst the elderly (75-84) over the past decade or so. This year's line appears to be broadly on-trend with previous years, albeit perhaps a little higher:

So are you saying "oh well they would have died anyway" too bad too sad?

I am retired, I have enough money it's true because I was lucky enough to marry a guy who made very good money in the software business, but we never overspent either, AND we didn't put all our money in stocks when we retired, bonds and cash and followed the guidelines established for retired people, and even IF my husband was working he wouldn't lose his job because hes a software designer/programmer/architect with tons of accolades etc blah blah.. lucky him, he's a logic guy.. I have never EVER said I have what I have because I worked and saved, I was a lowly little software tech and originally admin at IBM.. I have enough money because my husband was in a growing field that paid well. To a rich person I look meh, a lower paid person we look rich.. I don't sit around and eat bon-bons and regal in the fact that I have some money, because I know what it's like to not have money.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I threw it away immediately due to that fact it could have been contaminated :)

I hate getting into politics but when I saw this in my mailbox today I was a bit... hmm... I'll just leave it here.

Back of the card did contain sound advice.

20200401_173415~2.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really,

I don't believe in making banal statements. Stating anything without backing information is just plain lazy in my book. I'm a fact bound person in life. I try to be logical and I don't give any president a bye just because of their party. Supporting Trump is like supporting voodoo science.

Of course I blame Trump for the eff up he did in the first 2 months of this mess, he did nothing. Remember this is the guy who said:

And what I infer from what you said is: I don't care about facts and corroborating information. To each his/her own is how it goes.

Tekate it seems like you could haved saved yourself the trouble of picking apart and responding as you did by simply saying 'Regardless of anything else, I still blame Trump'.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Your response was to impugn Tekate and falsely accuse her of blaming Trump without regard for facts.

You continue to do the same thing apparently without realizing it. I did no such thing. She does blame Trump, has said so repeatedly. It’s not impugning her to recognize that any more that to recognize some pepole think he walks on water. Maybe it’s best to ignore me rather than continue to twist around what I say to fit the narrative you prefer. I regret that for some reason it got personal for you.

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
True but there is more the Trump administration could be doing.

If things get really bad, the federal government “can basically federalize state response if there’s a failure of local control,” says Tom Frieden, former director of the CDC and former New York City health commissioner. But local control comes first.

chrome-extension://ieepebpjnkhaiioojkepfniodjmjjihl/data/pdf.js/web/viewer.html?file=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.phe.gov%2FPreparedness%2Fplanning%2Fauthority%2Fnhss%2FDocuments%2FNHSS-Strategy-508.pdf

This is Trump's supposed National Health Strategy.

you may have already read all this, but if not, it's interesting.

If you're suggesting that Trump, or the feds in general, should be imposing lockdown restrictions - they can't. That is up to the governors of each state. Last I saw, 80% of US population lived in areas with stay-home orders. The severity of the orders and the degree to which they're enforced depends on the state.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have blamed Trump for his initial response to the Covid19, but I am not alone in this. He minimized it, he tried to shift blame on the previous administration, he said it was a democratic stunt,

I blame him for saying the below:

1585840479812.png

this is from Snopes. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/timeline-trump-covid19-responses/

These are things an ignoramus would say without factual backup.. These are things that his 'base' believed because they only read 'RED news' and btw if you are interested in knowing about sites that CONTINUE to spread lies the list can be found at below:

With Limbaugh being one of the biggest liars on he web.

QUOTE="1ofakind, post: 4709837, member: 62403"]
You continue to do the same thing apparently without realizing it. I did no such thing. She does blame Trump, has said so repeatedly. It’s not impugning her to recognize that any more that to recognize some pepole think he walks on water. Maybe it’s best to ignore me rather than continue to twist around what I say to fit the narrative you prefer. I regret that for some reason it got personal for you.
[/QUOTE]

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I blame Trump for his lies, it's pretty simple. HE LIED.

he said these things:

1585841014522.png

He said these things with no corroborating support/evidence, he downplayed the spread of this killing virus and in turn most probably ensured some people would die (like the dummy who took aquarium cleaner)..You think it's okay for the president to lie to the public? I don't.

You’d do well to simply say, “Regardless of Trump’s failures and utter incompetence, I’ll still deflect responsibility on everyone else and regurgitate Republican lies.”

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Where are your facts that the so called left called him a racist (which I personally think is true but I didn't call him a racist when he did this, now some of his dog whistles are horrendous, but this topic is his mess up in the beginning of the virus here in the USA)

Trump banned chinese flights in late Jan. but of course the left called him a racist.

CC, If people don't return to work within the next 2 months there will a lot of murders in our country. People will robb and kill for food.

Q

Queenie60

@1ofakind - my advise to you is to give it up. They'll pick you apart and then report you for name calling if you continue to debate. I found that it's not worth the time and energy. I have learned to keep my opinions close to my heart and not discuss any politics on this forum. Just sayin!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Non sequitur and gratuitous attack.. smh. and Hillary ran in 16.

Welcome to never trumper land... :lol: . The left wingers are still in shock that H. Clinton lost in 2008.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Before you spread misinformation a POINTER to FACTS is needed to support the above statement. Otherwise I call this as FALSE.

And to "not taking care of people" Trump is spouting useful information now after I think it was Tucker carlson who convinced him this was a real threat, not physicians, not his team, but another fox jerk. Altho I thank Tucker! who knows where we would be without hs flight to Florida.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind - my advise to you is to give it up. They'll pick you apart and then report you for name calling if you continue to debate. I found that it's not worth the time and energy. I have learned to keep my opinions close to my heart and not discuss any politics on this forum. Just sayin!!

You know why I put her on ignore? It’s because it’s the same pointless dance, over and over.

1. Trump apologist/supporter states opinion with little or no factual basis.

2. Non-Trump supporter counters opinion with facts.

3. Trump apologist/supporter continues regurgitating easily debunked Republican talking points as fact.

4. Non-Trump supporters continue pointing out factual inaccuracies.

5. Trump apologist/supporter complains about being attacked and refuses to accept facts. Other Trump apologists/supporters offer sympathies about how mean those lefties are, constantly “running them off” with their pesky facts.

If an opinion cannot withstand scrutiny and be backed up by reliable sources of information, then it’s worth as much as a fart. If the person giving that opinion then resorts to acting like a martyr because they can’t win their argument on a factual basis, then it’s a complete waste of my time and energy.

voce

Ideal_Rock

One of the reasons why I don't favor the current US administration is that they manage in very poor form, reacting rather than trying to figure out problems ahead of time and solving problems before they have blown up.

Another is that Trump has treated America's allies in Europe with little courtesy, and I hope another administration will repair the damage to America's image and influence abroad, because I don't have much hope Trump can repair it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As one Dem. Prez once said...If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen !. I knew 1ofakind was gonna get skinned alive by the liberals... :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results