shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your thoughts on how government is handling COVID-19

voce

Ideal_Rock
@OboeGal I doubt the statistics will ever be perfect, as how the data is recorded and how the cases are tracked varies country by country, but working with some imperfect information can help us form some expectation. I just think that with the rapid rate of new infections, the crude death rate using the total number of cases is leading people to believe the fatalities are way under where they really are.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are reports that a 12 year old girl has died from COVID - 19 in Europe and a 13 year old boy in the UK - for all the people out there that think it will not impact them, statistically it's unlikely but not impossible.

Australia is in lockdown if the police see more than 2 people out together and they are not obvious family groups they can be fined between $1000 and $1600 depending upon which state you live in and be given jail time.... we are allowed out for medical purposes, to get basic groceries and supplies, and to walk if in small family groups or if you are an essential worker working somewhere that is not closed down.

Our government is sick and tired of people ignoring the rules and is imposing tougher restrictions and harsher penalties by the day..... these restrictions ARE slowing the infection rates and the death rates here.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Australia is in lockdown
I do not think that is true. People who can not work from home are allowed to go to work. People are allowed to shop, shopping centres and strips are open (except cafes etc)

Our government is sick and tired of people ignoring the rules and is imposing tougher restrictions and harsher penalties by the day..... these restrictions ARE slowing the infection rates and the death rates here.
I believe we will have up to 5 years jail for infected people who leave isolation now or soon?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe we will have up to 5 years jail for infected people who leave isolation now or soon?

What if you don't know you're infected?!

I can't get this moving graphic to embed but it's a good graph of mortality causes over the past few years - the cancer and cardiovascular disease rises are worrying!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we can't get more testing for the disease, maybe we can at least get testing for antibodies, so we know who has already had it and recovered, whether they were asymptomatic or very mild cases. That's something I'm hoping to see.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
If we can't get more testing for the disease, maybe we can at least get testing for antibodies, so we know who has already had it and recovered, whether they were asymptomatic or very mild cases. That's something I'm hoping to see.

With those tests are the only way I see back to any kind of 'normal' until there is a vaccine.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if you don't know you're infected?!

I can't get this moving graphic to embed but it's a good graph of mortality causes over the past few years - the cancer and cardiovascular disease rises are worrying!

Interesting graph; I notice influenza is not listed.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I live in a different state to you @Garry H (Cut Nut) , everything (clothing, homewares etc) pretty well anything that is not food related or "essential" is shut here, most of the smaller shops in shopping centres (malls) are shut.

They already have a law that if you do the wrong thing in groups in my state you can get a fine and jail time up to 5 years, this is specifically aimed at people that have parties or do the wrong thing in groups not for infected people so far, but that could change.

I think it depends on where people work, you state that if people cannot work from home they can go to work, lots of people I know, that cannot work from home do not have jobs to go to anymore.

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I live in a different state to you @Garry H (Cut Nut) , everything (clothing, homewares etc) pretty well anything that is not food related or "essential" is shut here, most of the smaller shops in shopping centres (malls) are shut.

They already have a law that if you do the wrong thing in groups in my state you can get a fine and jail time up to 5 years, this is specifically aimed at people that have parties or do the wrong thing in groups not for infected people so far, but that could change.

I think it depends on where people work, you state that if people cannot work from home they can go to work, lots of people I know, that cannot work from home do not have jobs to go to anymore.

this is the Victorian restrictions - there are named essential services and named non essential service
https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/202003/Restricted Activity Directions .pdf
Retail other than those named are not restricted. However we have half staff working from home and half instore.
1585711647862.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Garry H (Cut Nut) - Have you been somewhere like a Westfield shopping centre today? Wooworths, Coles, BigW, Target ie the large major stores that sell food and other things people might need are open, but, hundreds of smaller stores are mostly all closed electing to now sell online instead (they might not be forced to be closed but for the safety of their staff, or due to the reduced number of customers they have elected to close physical stores), here, even large retail stores in shopping centres, like David Jones and Myers are closed, at least that is what it is like where I live....

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Garry H (Cut Nut) - Have you been somewhere like a Westfield shopping centre today? Wooworths, Coles, BigW, Target ie the large major stores that sell food and other things people might need are open, but, hundreds of smaller stores are mostly all closed electing to now sell online instead (they might not be forced to be closed but for the safety of their staff and due to the reduced number of customers they have elected to close physical stores), here, even large stores like David Jones and Myers are closed, at least that is what it is like where I live....

They choose to lay off all their people. I am paying mine and want to keep them alive and happy

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They choose to lay off all their people. I am paying mine and want to keep them alive and happy

Yes I agree that is a better option, hopefully with the new Government tax incentives, to keep staff on their books, more stores will opt to retain their staff. But, sadly, I suspect many smaller retailers will never reopen their doors.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is no surprise that Florida received stuff, there were stockpiles in the area for hurricane relief and there are experienced people to deal with the red tape and deliver it.
They also submitted reasonable requests.
Its not some super conspiracy.

Once again again the bureaucrats have it all messed up.

Wouldn’t California have a HUGE cache of n95 masks and other respirators due to wildfires? Where are they?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump is now blaming NY for being slow to respond. Nothing to do with him of course.
He blames everyone but himself and is now saying the impeachment process distracted him. What an a******* :angryfire:

He is also blaming Obama. OMG is there no end to his ludicrousness??????

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Even with social distancing guidelines in place, some projections suggest that there could be between 100,000 and 240,000 COVID-19 deaths in the U.S., officials said at a press briefing Tuesday. They emphasized that this estimate may change as we learn more."

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wouldn’t California have a HUGE cache of n95 masks and other respirators due to wildfires? Where are they?
There were 12 million n95 masks and NY ordered 30 million masks which could not be filled throwing the system into trouble.
FL had the experience to place reasonable orders and the knowledge of how to do the paperwork to get them and got multiple orders filled.
n65 masks and respirators are suitable for wildfires. n95 are not required.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were 12 million n95 masks and NY ordered 30 million masks which could not be filled throwing the system into trouble.
FL had the experience to place reasonable orders and the knowledge of how to do the paperwork to get them and got multiple orders filled.

Link please @Karl_K

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Even with social distancing guidelines in place, some projections suggest that there could be between 100,000 and 240,000 COVID-19 deaths in the U.S., officials said at a press briefing Tuesday. They emphasized that this estimate may change as we learn more."

What I cannot get my head around is the fact Trump is now saying that amount of people potentially will die in the US yet he and his team are unwilling to imposer tougher restrictions on people.

We have a fraction of cases and a tiny % of deaths compared to the US yet we have much much tougher restrictions and every day the restrictions get tougher and the fines larger for breaking the law and going out to places where we shouldn't be in groups of more than 2 people at a time.

I understand Trump doesn't want to kill your economy (like our government has had to do here) but our government takes the POV they will do whatever is necessary to slow the curve and save as many people as possible over ruining businesses and our economy. Save people first, slow the disease even if it takes many many months, then fix the economy.

Your government is instead choosing to just let the disease spread, let it kill whoever it is going to kill, too bad if that is a lot of people, make it as fast as possible and that way businesses and your economy will in theory suffer over a shorter period of time.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I cannot get my head around is the fact Trump is now saying that amount of people potentially will die in the US yet he and his team are unwilling to imposer tougher restrictions on people.

We have a fraction of cases and a tiny % of deaths compared to the US yet we have much much tougher restrictions and every day the restrictions get tougher and the fines larger for breaking the law and going out to places where we shouldn't be in groups of more than 2 people at a time.

I understand Trump doesn't want to kill your economy (like our government has had to do here) but our government takes the POV they will do whatever is necessary to slow the curve and save as many people as possible over ruining businesses and our economy.

Yup. I’m all for saving lives first and dealing with the economic fallout later. Not a popular opinion with some/many. Including some PSers.

We all feel strongly about what we think. I just want everyone to survive and I think that’s priority number one.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Money? means nothing, I have enough to make my rent for a year and to eat.. and very lucky in my friendships.. my kids and furbaby and grand are fine, I'm lucky happy and blessed, :) xo

Yup. I’m all for saving lives first and dealing with the economic fallout later. Not a popular opinion with some/many. Including some PSers.

We all feel strongly about what we think. I just want everyone to survive and I think that’s priority number one.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes me too, and honestly I get the other side of it, I've seen lines of unemployed snaking around city blocks the past few weeks here, I know people that have committed suicide because they have lost jobs. But I agree, I think the global priority should be saving people first and if that means shutting nearly everything down and dealing with the economic fallout that causes during and after, so be it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes me too, and honestly I get the other side of it, I've seen lines of unemployed snaking around city blocks the past few weeks here, I know people that have committed suicide because they have lost jobs. But I agree, I think the global priority should be saving people first and if that means shutting nearly everything down and coping with the economic fallout that causes, so be it.

I definitely see the other side. 100% I get it. But it truly is about prioritizing at a time like this. We simply cannot have it both ways. We have to choose for now and I choose health/life above economic health for as long as this pandemic exists.

Tough choice.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@arkieb1 please keep us in your thoughts. Just got this text. Unfreaking believable :(

“ Notify NYC: Many NYC Parks are open for exercise & play, but do your part, keep your distance & stay at least 6 ft from others. ”

Please close the damn parks.

The politicians can put people out of work but allow people to pack into the city parks. :(

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please provide sources for the masks and respirators. Everything current that I see says N95 for wildfires.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I understand Trump doesn't want to kill your economy (like our government has had to do here) but our government takes the POV they will do whatever is necessary to slow the curve and save as many people as possible over ruining businesses and our economy. Save people first, slow the disease even if it takes many many months, then fix the economy.

Your government is instead choosing to just let the disease spread, let it kill whoever it is going to kill, too bad if that is a lot of people, make it as fast as possible and that way businesses and your economy will in theory suffer over a shorter period of time.

If you're suggesting that Trump, or the feds in general, should be imposing lockdown restrictions - they can't. That is up to the governors of each state. Last I saw, 80% of US population lived in areas with stay-home orders. The severity of the orders and the degree to which they're enforced depends on the state.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Full text:

Coincidence that Florida, swing state, gets 100% of medical supplies from the national stockpile, whilst non-swing states get to keep begging and/or try to outbid the federal government?

Actually lots of requests from florida were turned down at the federal level some of them diverted to other states.

I live in one of the largest counties in Florida, were were denied by FEMA to have a test site here. We had to come up with 2 from our own budgets. At the county level they are trying like hell to get the supplies needed. however we get outbid by other areas because lets be real, Florida is not as rich as say, NYC. And this state has over 25% people over the age of 60. This came straight from our county officers mouth, they're not hiding the displeasure here.

So no one should assume FL is getting stuff because Orangina has a residence here, we're not. We also have care facilities that are reusing PPE.

We don't have the cases that some areas do but they are rising quickly. Those us here, an overwhelming out of people are not happy that the Govenor left it up to the cities/counties to close things. There's no cohesiveness in that, and people will beach or boat hunt all over the place, making it even worse. So far though the east coast has suffered the worst.

And Hurricane season starts June 1.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually lots of requests from florida were turned down at the federal level some of them diverted to other states.

I live in one of the largest counties in Florida, were were denied by FEMA to have a test site here. We had to come up with 2 from our own budgets. At the county level they are trying like hell to get the supplies needed. however we get outbid by other areas because lets be real, Florida is not as rich as say, NYC. And this state has over 25% people over the age of 60. This came straight from our county officers mouth, they're not hiding the displeasure here.

So no one should assume FL is getting stuff because Orangina has a residence here, we're not. We also have care facilities that are reusing PPE.

We don't have the cases that some areas do but they are rising quickly. Those us here, an overwhelming out of people are not happy that the Govenor left it up to the cities/counties to close things. There's no cohesiveness in that, and people will beach or boat hunt all over the place, making it even worse. So far though the east coast has suffered the worst.

And Hurricane season starts June 1.

Makes me sad to see such discord between the states. During this crisis I wish the governors would work together.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Makes me sad to see such discord between the states. During this crisis I wish the governors would work together.

The head of the snake deemed it every man for him or herself, and he added one disgusting portion to it that you had to be nice to him. He has not united the states at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results