shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your primary online news sources, and why?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In no particular order mine are, BBC, Reuters, Al Jazeera, and NPR.
I'm glad 2 are not from America, especially today.
Though I'm a liberal, I find MSNBC and CNN too annoyingly biased. :nono:

What are your primary online news sources, and why?

Do you want to just hear your biases reinforced, or do you wish for neutral news?

Last edited:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Most often, I read CBC online. I find it provides a balanced view of the daily news. It’s a Canadian crown corporation, so if my taxes are paying for it anyways....:)

I also enjoy listening to CBC radio. Great music and informative programming.

I sometimes read BBC. They have very interesting articles, but I tend to follow link after link and get lost in cyberspace for longer than I intended.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BBC, NPR, and The Guardian. The Guardian is admittedly the most biased of the bunch. BBC seems to make an effort to be neutral, and I love the human interest and science stories on NPR.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Pricescope Hangout, duh! :lol:

You’re so right, @Maria D . Pricescope is very educational, and not just for gems and diamonds. I often learn of some news event here, and also of others’ opinions on a variety of subjects, political and otherwise.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to stay in the gray center zone and visit all the rest except those in the red rectangle. I prefer credible news regardless of whether it feeds or challenges my biases.

credible news sources.png

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screenshot_20200205-082435_Chrome.jpg

I prefer AP News and Reuters. Neutral and factual.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fake news MSNBC & CNN...:lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an online subscription for the Times and Sunday Times, however they are not the fastest to update their site.

BBC is my go-to news site as they are pretty quick in reporting news and updates.

DK :))

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, BBC for the most part. I read the Guardian online and we have the Times and Sunday Times delivered at the weekend. Takes me all week to get through them! I also flick through the Daily Mail (terrible rag that it is) on occasion, mostly for a laugh, a look at the gossip, and to check what Meghan is getting blamed for this week (the break up of Peter Phillip’s marriage, most recently :rolleyes:).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an online subscription for the Times and Sunday Times ...

There are many newspapers that people refer to as, "The Times".

Which are you referring to, LA Times, NY Times, or one of the many others?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many newspapers that people refer to as, "The Times".

Which are you referring to, LA Times, NY Times, or one of the many others?

I am in UK, so it has to be the original, hence no country/region/etc. designation is required.

>>> Wrote it with my tongue firmly in my cheek! :razz:

DK :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That reminds me ... often people refer to, "the bay area". :doh:
The world has a zillion bays.

Of course we're all psychic so it's obvious which one they're talking about.:wacko:
Maybe the problem is, the Internet allows folks from far away from my center of my world into conversations.

Last edited:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depending on what news I want will depend on the outlet I go to, but tbh I am at the point of tuning out the rest of the world and concentrating on what's in front of me right now.

If I want US politics news I tend to try find YouTube channels, I quite enjoy Tim Poole and Brainlet's videos but I don't necessarily think that they are painting pictures that are 100% accurate in all their videos. There's opinion in there as well, but just as a source of what's going on I quite enjoy some of the smaller commentators.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reuters, BBC, NPR, NYT.
Stopped even reading CNN for entertainment when they titled an article “Americans will need a visa to travel to Europe”... and one paragraph down they said it wasn’t really a visa.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BBC and NPR. I find the rest very biased.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reddit world news. Sources are from all over the world. Also CBC for Canadian news.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to stay in the gray center zone and visit all the rest except those in the red rectangle. I prefer credible news regardless of whether it feeds or challenges my biases.

credible news sources.png

Similar for me, although I do go into the skews liberal and skews conservative zones. I don't mind biased as long as I understand the bias and can read accordingly.

For example, I fully understand that the Guardian is left leaning, but their investigative reporting is excellent, and, other than inherent bias (present in all media) in choosing what stories to report, pretty unbiased. The WSJ (which I don't buy or subscribe to as I prefer not to support Rupert Murdoch) is similar - has some very good reporting, but their editorials are sometimes almost bizarre in their bias.

I'd adjust the chart above to but the FT (Financial Times) in the grey and take The Hill and Huffington Post out of the still reputable column. I also think local news, if you have a Sinclair station, is about as reliable as infowars...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is the authority who decided which news sources are reliable? Why are we relying on that authority?

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Who is the authority who decided which news sources are reliable? Why are we relying on that authority?

That's a good question. This one, I believe was done by a woman who is actually a lawyer. I don't know anything about her, but--while there is obviously a high degree of subjectivity in these determinations, it's more or less in line with prevailing wisdom. For what that's worth.

This organisation is pretty transparent about their methodology

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/methodology/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results