shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your planned projects for 2020?

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I was the only adult in the whole world that can't swim!! this despite having tried 3 times and living in a house with a pool, lol.

I really hope you succeed. Fingers crossed.

You're not the only adult!! There are classes full of adults taking lessons=)2. I started in July or maybe August and so far I can only float on my face and back. Any movement and I sink, but whatever, I think I am improving lol. I was tired of being scared of water. Last summer we went to Barcelona and my husband booked a hotel with a pool, but the pool was 6 feet deep! My kids couldn't swim either so it was terrifying. We only spent 5 mins at the pool, dipping our feet. Then in May we went to Jamaica and everyone was swimming in the ocean, so that was the last straw and I decided we were going to learn how to swim. My kids started at the same time and they can swim, float, thread water, etc...I'm a few classes behind but still moving forward lol (very slowly). Perhaps try again? My instructor told me I need to practice each skill every day and keep at it until I get it. It's frustrating but I'm trying to be patient. So annoying when I see others getting it so quickly. But we all do things at our own pace (just wish mine was a tiny bit faster).

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
- Support my son as he studies for the SAT and starts working on college apps in the summer/fall of 2020 (and help out with the college research process)
- Visit a few more colleges
- Declutter my closet
- Ensure that my teens purge their horrific bedrooms of junk, junk, and more junk
- Steam clean all our upholstered furniture and rugs
- Repair dry rot on our deck, fix a few window mechanisms that are malfunctioning
- Possibly re-paint the interior of our house
- Replace our home security system with one that isn't easily hackable or based in China. This is a very tall order.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
- Support my son as he studies for the SAT and starts working on college apps in the summer/fall of 2020 (and help out with the college research process)
- Visit a few more colleges
- Declutter my closet
- Ensure that my teens purge their horrific bedrooms of junk, junk, and more junk
- Steam clean all our upholstered furniture and rugs
- Repair dry rot on our deck, fix a few window mechanisms that are malfunctioning
- Possibly re-paint the interior of our house
- Replace our home security system with one that isn't easily hackable or based in China. This is a very tall order.

Yes, I forgot decluttering my closets. Always an ongoing project. It seems to get cluttered the moment after I declutter it. :doh:

Good luck to your son and his college shopping experience. An exciting time!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I will sew my first dress. Currently, I have a muslin version... which looks very funky.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Any updates? Anyone's plans changed or goals accomplished?

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i still need a job
but im really scared now about gerns home to Gary

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've only got one, which is to make a move on securing our family home. Right now I've got my eyes on a piece of land by the water here, I just have to wait until my wife is back from maternity leave in late May as without her salary I can't quite borrow enough to buy and build while supporting the three of us. Once she is in any form of work we're good to go with pursuing it.

I would love to be in the house by Christmas but I think that may be a little optimistic. But it's going to be quite the layout, combined home and production facility for our Opal business, at the rear will be an outdoor entertaining area and a undercover boat parking. Getting so close to that sea change white picket dream now...

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@jordyonbass That sounds fantastic? What part of the world are you from? I was going to guess Australia due to you being in the opal business?

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya @jordyonbass! I have to admit I love opal and have been watching Opal Hunters on tv. What kind of opals do you work with?

I'm sure my fellow PS'ers would be interested to hear.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
  1. Reunite with my jewellery (sob story) DONE.
  2. Replace my integrated washer dryer Still to be completed, hopefully soon!
  3. Sort out my garden that is currently a jungle Changes to my original requirements to make room for the camper van.
  4. Install shelving units to increase storage capacity for my catering hobby in the dinning area Still to do, as it is dependent upon having my washer dryer replaced first!
  5. Getting a campervan Deposits for the van and build slot paid, current estimate for completion is mid to end of September 2020.
  6. Visiting my folks in Canada Still on the card unless travel restrictions are implemented.
  7. Continue to learn the clarinet or switch to a Soprano Saxophone Decided to stick with the clarinet for now and upgraded my cheapo plastic student instrument to a better one that is made of wood.
  8. Have more pop up kitchen events Ongoing as past events had been fun.
  9. Start paying towards a significant CS project with JW Ongoing, he sourced a nice neon pink Sapphire for recut at Tucson this year for me.
That should be it.

DK :))

Update in Bold.

No new ones.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Replacing fence in the pasture and new walls in the tackroom and building new saddle racks. Hopefully get the downstairs bathroom remodel started and finished.

Last edited:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With our investments now in the crapper, there will be exactly zero bling purchases/projects in 2020 (except for one antique ring which I've had on layaway since last year). I'm 100% fine with it - it's a first world "problem." Right now we have MUCH bigger issues to deal with.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
  1. Reunite with my jewellery (sob story)
  2. Replace my integrated washer dryer
  3. Sort out my garden that is currently a jungle
  4. Install shelving units to increase storage capacity for my catering hobby in the dinning area
  5. Getting a campervan
  6. Visiting my folks in Canada
  7. Continue to learn the clarinet or switch to a Soprano Saxophone
  8. Have more pop up kitchen events
  9. Start paying towards a significant CS project with JW
That should be it.

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would update my post in this thread instead.

Thanks to Covid-19, some of these had to be postponed!

1. Done, and I am very happy.
2. Done, much delayed, however, I finally had a new washer drying in July 2020!
3. Done, over budget, however, what's new?! :lol-2:
4. Done, shelving installed, and now I have a pantry of some sort!
5. Not done - see update below. :roll2:
6. Trip postponed until 2021, goodness knows when! :roll2:
7. Done. Instead of a Soprano Sax, I opted for an Alto instead as it is supposed to be easier to learn to start with. The new instrument is arriving on Wed 19 Aug 2020!
8. Stalled, thanks to Covid-19! :roll2:
9. Oh yes, with the 7mm neon pink Sapphire, plus other CSs too! Also diamond-only blings (not with JW for obvious reasons).

For the campervan, thanks to Covid-19 and Brexit (again), there is still no build date for the new base van that I want. The latest update is that it would be as late as Week 48 as in early December 2020 for the van to be shipped over to UK for its conversion, which would take at least a month!!!

This means I may not have a RV before the year is out! :wall:

So, I am considering other options, by compromising on the specifications of my base van, like not having 4x4, to include another make and model, and in WHITE (I wanted red with lime green decals/graphics)!!! o_O

I am also prepared to accept a recently built (say 2019, early pre-C19 2020) new stock van that matches my must have's, however, I expect a hefty discount by taking a van that has been sitting around in a forecourt somewhere for nearly or over a year!

I really like the idea of a white van, as it is like a blank/white canvas, which means I could go ape and wild with the decals and graphics, like splodges of rainbow colours (very contemporaneous), with one wing mirror in red and the other in lime green etc... :lol-2:

Can't really do much about travelling to Canada to visit my folks, or the pop up kitchen events, as they are beyond my control, hey ho! :(2

How about everyone else who posted in this thread? Has 2020 been kind to you, or has C19 completely buggered it up for you?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've only got one, which is to make a move on securing our family home. Right now I've got my eyes on a piece of land by the water here, I just have to wait until my wife is back from maternity leave in late May as without her salary I can't quite borrow enough to buy and build while supporting the three of us. Once she is in any form of work we're good to go with pursuing it.

I would love to be in the house by Christmas but I think that may be a little optimistic. But it's going to be quite the layout, combined home and production facility for our Opal business, at the rear will be an outdoor entertaining area and a undercover boat parking. Getting so close to that sea change white picket dream now...

Well, got it done.

Not quite the sea change I wanted and we ended up giving up on the dream unfortunately, but we got a nice three year old house on a quarter acre. So it has a backyard space for Finn to play which was something I wanted to make sure he had.
I'll be building a twin room workshop in the backyard as well at some point, one side will be a dedicated Opal cutting studio and the other side for storage of all my fishing gear (you don't want to see my collection LOL). But for now the backyard is Finn's domain to call his own.

Just doing the last of the finances and paperwork, with some luck we will be in the house by early October!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Well, got it done.

Not quite the sea change I wanted and we ended up giving up on the dream unfortunately, but we got a nice three year old house on a quarter acre. So it has a backyard space for Finn to play which was something I wanted to make sure he had.
I'll be building a twin room workshop in the backyard as well at some point, one side will be a dedicated Opal cutting studio and the other side for storage of all my fishing gear (you don't want to see my collection LOL). But for now the backyard is Finn's domain to call his own.

Just doing the last of the finances and paperwork, with some luck we will be in the house by early October!

Congrats! That’s super exciting!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would update my post in this thread instead.

Thanks to Covid-19, some of these had to be postponed!

1. Done, and I am very happy.
2. Done, much delayed, however, I finally had a new washer drying in July 2020!
3. Done, over budget, however, what's new?! :lol-2:
4. Done, shelving installed, and now I have a pantry of some sort!
5. Not done - see update below. :roll2:
6. Trip postponed until 2021, goodness knows when! :roll2:
7. Done. Instead of a Soprano Sax, I opted for an Alto instead as it is supposed to be easier to learn to start with. The new instrument is arriving on Wed 19 Aug 2020!
8. Stalled, thanks to Covid-19! :roll2:
9. Oh yes, with the 7mm neon pink Sapphire, plus other CSs too! Also diamond-only blings (not with JW for obvious reasons).

For the campervan, thanks to Covid-19 and Brexit (again), there is still no build date for the new base van that I want. The latest update is that it would be as late as Week 48 as in early December 2020 for the van to be shipped over to UK for its conversion, which would take at least a month!!!

This means I may not have a RV before the year is out! :wall:

So, I am considering other options, by compromising on the specifications of my base van, like not having 4x4, to include another make and model, and in WHITE (I wanted red with lime green decals/graphics)!!! o_O

I am also prepared to accept a recently built (say 2019, early pre-C19 2020) new stock van that matches my must have's, however, I expect a hefty discount by taking a van that has been sitting around in a forecourt somewhere for nearly or over a year!

I really like the idea of a white van, as it is like a blank/white canvas, which means I could go ape and wild with the decals and graphics, like splodges of rainbow colours (very contemporaneous), with one wing mirror in red and the other in lime green etc... :lol-2:

Can't really do much about travelling to Canada to visit my folks, or the pop up kitchen events, as they are beyond my control, hey ho! :(2

How about everyone else who posted in this thread? Has 2020 been kind to you, or has C19 completely buggered it up for you?

You got a lot done!

Here’s my update:
1. Fence off my property. Done.
2. Build raised garden beds. Done but we may redo it.
3. Build a chicken castle so my girls can live in style. In progress.
4. Build a little quail house and get some quail. Cancelled. I’ve come to the realization that I have enough animals to care for.
5. Find a matching pair of well priced OECs in the wild for a toi et moi ring. I actually started looking this year but it’s exactly as hard as everyone said it would be. Done. Somehow ended up with 5 OECs. Will need to purge
6. Somehow get rid of the surprise barn we found out when we cleared out our blackberry disaster. I wanted to burn it down but we’re no longer rural enough for that. Done.
7. Find a nice spinel (probably) and remake my 3 stone ring. Cancelled. Just not as interested in this anymore.

We may end up having a garage built because my husband wants a project motorcycle and I want a home gym. So no more jewelry projects for this year.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
24DCE6B1-8CA3-432B-9F1D-A037BEF42A10.jpeg F6B4AF8F-2811-4F8A-B00A-888DE37570BB.jpeg 49B0D727-D2C1-4BF0-8B7D-1DEF6F06A3B6.jpeg

Chicken coop progress if anyone is interested. I never want to paint again. At this point we just need to finish painting, do the roosting bars & nesting boxes, and do the run. 2-3 more weekends tops.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
finish courtyard entails the following:

plant the 8-10 climbing roses that are still in pots (must amend and fortify soil prior to sinking the roses)

fabricate a door for the courtyard with the lumber in the garage that has been there since march

enlarge cat patio

paint the entire interior of the house. it was painted last in 2014

redo window treatment for several of the rooms.

plant fruit trees that i've yet to order

build & install raised beds

redo a bathroom (this must wait until late 2021 or 2022 as tradesmen/crew is needed)

turn deck into a 3 season room (need crew for this)

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
finish courtyard entails the following:

plant the 8-10 climbing roses that are still in pots (must amend and fortify soil prior to sinking the roses)

fabricate a door for the courtyard with the lumber in the garage that has been there since march

enlarge cat patio

paint the entire interior of the house. it was painted last in 2014

redo window treatment for several of the rooms.

plant fruit trees that i've yet to order

build & install raised beds

redo a bathroom (this must wait until late 2021 or 2022 as tradesmen/crew is needed)

turn deck into a 3 season room (need crew for this)

Ooh you have lots to do. Do you live someplace with nice weather all year round? I’m feeling stressed with my remaining project as we come into fall and too much rain.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh you have lots to do. Do you live someplace with nice weather all year round? I’m feeling stressed with my remaining project as we come into fall and too much rain.

we live in los angeles. i hear ya. im feeling stressed too. we just have had such poor air quality that fuels our procrastination

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
we live in los angeles. i hear ya. im feeling stressed too. we just have had such poor air quality that fuels our procrastination

Hope you’re staying safe & that you get to finish your projects. Sounds like it’ll be beautiful when it’s done.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@winnietucker

thank you winnie! look after yourself and try not to stress too too much...

cheers to you

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results