shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your jewelry alteration plans? (repairs, sizing, upgrades, setting or other changes)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about engraving so much appreciated. I collected three gold bangles a few years ago thinking they'd look good together but then just didn't really care for it. Good ideas, thank you.

Sometimes you just have to let stuff go :(2
i recently scraped some things that just wern't worth it.
Gold is high right now =)2
With the exception of one chain (and i don't even remember now the reason for the remorse:lol:) i havn't regretted it

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those fabulite stones are Strontium Titanite, actually quite collectible. They have the highest dispersion of any “gem” but yes, soft, only about 6.5 so wear with care.
the costs of retipping prongs, resizing and switching out and in gemstones, no, not worth the $$ for a 10k ring.
if you don’t love the ring, I’d sell it and start again, either finding or making a halo ring you love.
im the bargain hunting / converting Queen. I don’t refurbish unless the end item will be worth at least what $$ have gone into it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now I have to put my jewelry upkeep projects in order and actually start getting them done. It's not nearly as much fun as getting new stuff though. :(

But it will be cool to wear stuff again, wheather its a repaired item or a revamped one or a half finished project

im really surprised how much i miss my $30 dyed pearl necklase

its going to cost more than that to have it restrung but i think just for wearability it deserves a 2nd life

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Those fabulite stones are Strontium Titanite, actually quite collectible. They have the highest dispersion of any “gem” but yes, soft, only about 6.5 so wear with care.
the costs of retipping prongs, resizing and switching out and in gemstones, no, not worth the $$ for a 10k ring.
if you don’t love the ring, I’d sell it and start again, either finding or making a halo ring you love.
im the bargain hunting / converting Queen. I don’t refurbish unless the end item will be worth at least what $$ have gone into it.

Thanks again, Bron. I "like" the ring, don't "love" it, and I'm probably too lazy to do all that anyway so I guess it can go lol.

Fabulite is interesting stuff, though. It throws off little rainbows everywhere. :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
But it will be cool to wear stuff again, wheather its a repaired item or a revamped one or a half finished project

im really surprised how much i miss my $30 dyed pearl necklase

its going to cost more than that to have it restrung but i think just for wearability it deserves a 2nd life

Ain't that the truth. My favorite pieces and prettiest pieces are not at all necessarily the most expensive pieces. I should get that tattooed on my hand lol.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again, Bron. I "like" the ring, don't "love" it, and I'm probably too lazy to do all that anyway so I guess it can go lol.

Fabulite is interesting stuff, though. It throws off little rainbows everywhere. :)

If you’re going to list the bangles / ring (and it’s a size 7 or bigger) give me a heads up so I can be at the head of the queue :wavey:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. I’m getting a lab gray-blue sapphire cut at Stag and Finch to set in a previous tapered baguette setting. I’ll get David to resize it for my right hand.

2. Two are already in the works. Removing my diamond cushion..”Bee” from my DK diamond halo setting and setting it a solitaire bangle by DK.

3. Find a cushion gem to set in the DK diamond halo setting.

4. Sell some bands and rings..

5. Do something with my Valoria 14k white gold setting that held Summer before my upgrade. I may sell it or get a gemstone for it.

6. The rest depends on if I sell Libby...She’s out getting certified by GIA by the potential buyer.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hee hee
forgot one.
This will be more exspensive so when i get to it I'll need help
i have a 3 stone with the middle stone being blue topaz
i want to get a light box princess cut to replace it

Then maybe repurpose the topaz into a pendent using some smaller ligtbox earings ???

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL. I have totally gone Mari Kondo on everything else in my life but the jewelry is the hardest for some reason. It's like it is trying to breed or something. ;-)

:lol:

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a Moval diamond and a yellow pear diamond from Alex. I am bouncing all over the place with design elements. Started in the Edwardian period, moved again to Art Deco and back to Art Nouveau and that's for the Moval alone. Very lucky to have this journey and hope to be able to share the end product.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you can soon! Really cold and really hot sucks :( hugs!

Thank you
we should be able to once i get a job - the bank adds it to the morgage
Its not so much the insulation that's exspensive - its only 105m2 house
its the labour
We have a low pitched roof and the plumber got a bit stuck last time he went up there so Gary wouldn't fit and under the house is also a bit too low for our comfort plus dark and spiders (and cat poo)

My sister had just had her house replied before the Christchurch earthquake and had got so far as getting the polythene put down on the ground under the house - that alone made a 6 degree difference to her room temp - of course they get colder winters down there and she has a nice warm rebuild now but she said even with just that they could feel a big difference

but i don't see it being a difficult or involved job - we just need skinny installers :lol:

I have so many conversion projects in mind but I’ll limit my list to the top three things that I want to tackle in the near future:

- setting my inherited alphabet yellow diamond in a ring setting for a daily RHR. This project has been pending since April 2020 but because of the coronavirus it’ll have to likely wait until even longer. I settled on a double halo in light yellow and white melee with a cupped centre stone but I have to take it to my jeweler to see how the yellow melee looks against the centre stone to finally decide.

- Converting this enamel pendant I bought a couple years ago into a ring. It’s mostly enamel with a few coloured stones in YG and it’s quite a big pendant, was not expensive but somehow I never wear it around my neck, so I thought I’d convert it to a large ring instead.

- find a project for a small yellow sapphire I have knocking about. I have the caratage somewhere but not at hand, it’s around 1ct though. I think I bought it with plans to make a toi et moi with an emerald but I ended up changing my mind.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t worn my university class ring in ages as it’s a bit small for my right hand ring finger- it’s a simple, small signet ring in yellow gold- I’m thinking of resizing it to be a pinkie ring.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
The PSer who was interested in the sapphire flower ring decided seeing as it wasn’t certified she’d pass, which is understandable. As a ring it didn’t fit me and the cost of resizing not worth the $$ so taking it off the ring to wear as a pendant seemed like the best and most cost effective solution. I’m just going to “thread” a chain through the top scrolls.

Aww I (different PSer) was interested! But I think you were still talking to the other PSer at the time so our conversation didn't go anywhere. Hmm, I think I'll email you again :)

But anyway, to answer the OP, I'm trying to get some stones set in slides for a slide bracelet! Here's a spinel I have the slide for and it just needs to be set. Picture makes it look pink but it's actually red! PXL_20210114_025947049.jpg PXL_20210114_025919887.jpg

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Being an OCD person (specifically jewelry concerned), there are so many alternations/settings to be done but like @AllAboardTheBlingTrain said, I have to prioritize......

1) my 3-stone pink sapphire ring with 2 heart shaped diamonds - the sides are set too high, not sure if this issue can be corrected or an entire new setting will be needed? :confused:

2) not a fan of rose cut, hence the paraiba ring in my avatar - can’t decide what to do with them if I reset it with MRB halo?
I have another ruby ring in similar setting :mad:

3) two white SS pearls (extras from a necklace) to be set into dangling earrings. Idea needed & wise not to spend too much as they aren’t of very high quality.

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
OP, I am usually not a fan of marquise but yours looks really good on your hand. Should get it done & wear it often :love:
It has great size & shape too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven’t worn my university class ring in ages as it’s a bit small for my right hand ring finger- it’s a simple, small signet ring in yellow gold- I’m thinking of resizing it to be a pinkie ring.

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Go The pinky ring ! :kiss2:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I recently un-set Marjorie to send to GIA but that was back before the extra pressure on the USPS, so that’s been on hold. Been unable to find a setting I want (thought Toi et Moi, thought Tourbillion, thought 3-stone diagonal bypass, and then thought Georgian style silver cut-down collet fixed pendant. Cant decide.)

I still haven’t really set Edwina, but got seriously annoyed with the basket she was sitting in, so I un-set her too. Originally wanted a milgrain bezel, but actually she fits nicely into Marjorie’s old bracelet-clasp crown setting so that’s a possibility - but I can’t decide. So two beauties, sitting around waiting. :-/

1D6CD0D9-7685-4365-9C51-69A8E8C1A362.jpeg

There are a ton of other things. I just have no motivation, no inspiration to move forward. Is this ennui?

Last edited:

Ol-Blue

Shiny_Rock
I just sent this ring off to have the center diamond set into a pendant
I don’t think it’s the most cost effective project but the ring has been sitting and at least now I will wear the pendant. I get really irritated when things just sit there, unused. So I’m trying to create a small, wearable collection. Hopefully, I can sell the setting cheap, once I get it back. If not, I’m thinking of putting an inexpensive blue lab sapphire to match the ones on the ring. Then I can wear as a rhr. The completed pendant shown is just an example, my diamond is darker and I think it will be a nice contrast
94B1413C-6B19-4F53-AE9D-40689AA0E689.png

Attachments

• B76B993E-AC6D-4940-8610-2EB5B463D2E7.jpeg
    B76B993E-AC6D-4940-8610-2EB5B463D2E7.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 39
  • C6CA9980-22F1-49B5-949A-3372CEC6A31E.jpeg
    C6CA9980-22F1-49B5-949A-3372CEC6A31E.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 42

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an earring that needs to be repaired. The post broke off when I was talking on the phone. They are pretty clover type earrings so I would love to wear them again.
I also have to reset my pear. I was looking down at it on Tues at work and noticed one prong looked uneven. When I touched it, it was very sharp to the touch. So I pushed it with my finger nail and the top of the prong broke right off. Ive already contacted David Klass about resetting it. I know I want bezel or halo but I’m not sure what exact design so he has sent me a few different settings to chose from.
I’m kind of not really excited about all of this BC I almost never ever wear this ring. I just don’t want to spend the money but I also don’t want to lose the diamond BC that would suck.
Lastly I need to reshank an OEC three stone I have. It’s old from the 1930’s and the platinum shank has worn out a bit. I’ll ask David to Reshank it with a 2 mm band and probably touch up the milgrain on the top which has also worn out.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had my pink tourmaline re-set, the original was a Daniel M setting in sterling silver and 14K rose gold...the tarnishing drove me nuts and it was 2 sizes to large (I lost 100 lbs) so I never wore it well I finally bite the bullet and got it reset, I keep the rose gold head as I really like that part, hubby picked it for me and paid off my layway as Christmas gift. The new setting is 14K white and yellow gold. F5F32BF2-CDB3-4DEB-B090-1CCB635F71FF.jpeg 78C193AE-FAB1-495C-8B79-6C765DA98DA4.jpeg

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
I have a list to to-do jewelery projects as well!

1. Have my loose pink spinel set into a double halo setting ring.

20210102_234550.jpg 2. Have a 0.5 ct dianond placed into an old unused setting (semi bezel or with tapered baguettes?!)
Screenshot_20210119-124710_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210119-172610_Chrome.jpg
3. Have my loose sapphire set into a new setting. Who knows what!
20210108_162156.jpg

4. Have my claddagh ring resized.

5. Have my antique silver pendant chain fixed.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh, so much that I need to have done, between repairs, re-sizing, and re-setting.

- Resize CvB set. I was lucky to acquire a gorgeous pre-loved Spring Gulch with a matching Afterglow band, but alas, they are just too small. Resizing the Spring Gulch will be easy, as the shank is plain, but the Afterglow has Caysie's signature foliate engraving, which I fear will not be adjustable, so I may end up having to sell it.

P1070547.JPG View attachment 806409

- Repair

1) WF diamond flower pendant. One of the melee came loose in my ultrasonic, so I would like to get that repaired. WF wanted an arm and a leg to reset one tiny stone, so I'll have to have it done elsewhere.
View attachment 806405
20200601_213455_2.jpg
2) I accidentally ripped a diamond out of one of my favorite bands while pulling a cookie sheet out of the storage drawer on my oven. The prongs don't look too mangled, so hopefully that will be an easy repair.
20210118_130014.jpg

- Reset

1) Reset solitaire diamond into a pendant. I've been hemming and hawing about this, but I think I'm finally ready to commit. I just need to figure out how I want it set, basket or bezel. And then I will sell the old setting.

2) Reset diamonds from an old band. 1 diamond is cracked, and 1 has come loose from the setting, so it's time to scrap that band entirely. The stones are about 2.8mm, and I'm hoping to do something that sits a bit lower.
IMG_20190501_123725.jpg

Ol-Blue

Shiny_Rock
I just sent this ring off to have the center diamond set into a pendant
I don’t think it’s the most cost effective project but the ring has been sitting and at least now I will wear the pendant. I get really irritated when things just sit there, unused. So I’m trying to create a small, wearable collection. Hopefully, I can sell the setting cheap, once I get it back. If not, I’m thinking of putting an inexpensive blue lab sapphire to match the ones on the ring. Then I can wear as a rhr. The completed pendant shown is just an example, my diamond is darker and I think it will be a nice contrast
94B1413C-6B19-4F53-AE9D-40689AA0E689.png

Yay! It’s done. It’s being shipped to me today. Here’s the final product: 1759AB45-6555-40CC-A398-C8D910E1F349.png

Yay! It’s done. It’s being shipped to me today. Here’s the final product: 1759AB45-6555-40CC-A398-C8D910E1F349.png

I love pieces that seem "simple" but actually have a bunch of lil details that make it so unique. And your center stone looks amazing. It almost has a warm vanilla/old world feel to it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results