shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your favorite home design magazines?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I think we''ve probably discussed this before, but we have a number of new posters, and quite a lot of ''newlyweds in nesting'' mode here on PS.

My number one fave was always Victoria. At least before it died, and was resurrected by a different publisher. When it was a Hearst publication, it was awesome -- and I saved every issue. Now, while I''m glad someone brought it back, and it retains some of its original flair, it isn''t as good. Much smaller in volume, and only 6 issues a year; and the pieces aren''t in-depth enough. I loved it because it was about so much more than decorating, or food, or entertaining. It was/is truly a woman''s magazine. (Without the ubiquitous sex talk.
28.gif
Or celebrity on the cover.)

I haven''t found another magazine I like as well, but I''m open for suggestions.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Architectural Digest
1.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I like Metropolitan home because it''s really stylish while staying classic. I just discovered Oprah''s home magazine that has more to offer with articles and what not.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on what you want out of a design magazine. I think my personal all around favorite is House Beautiful. I think it's perfect for pretty much everyone, the design isn't too upscale.

Next in line are Traditional Home and Southern Accents. Recently, I've been really enjoying Veranda. And one that I buy every now in then is Beautiful Homes. it's a Better Home and Gardens special magazine.

I have a subscription to Domino because House and Garden went out of publication, however;they just announced that the March issue of Domino will be the last one. Also, Home, O at Home, Blueprint, and InStyle Home are no longer being published.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 1:34:26 AM
Author: pennquaker09
I think it depends on what you want out of a design magazine. I think my personal all around favorite is House Beautiful. I think it''s perfect for pretty much everyone, the design isn''t too upscale.

Next in line are Traditional Home and Southern Accents. Recently, I''ve been really enjoying Veranda. And one that I buy every now in then is Beautiful Homes. it''s a Better Home and Gardens special magazine.

I have a subscription to Domino because House and Garden went out of publication, however;they just announced that the March issue of Domino will be the last one. Also, Home, O at Home, Blueprint, and InStyle Home are no longer being published.
I like Traditional home and Southern Accents, too. I do find that Traditional Home has been heading into more contemporary territory lately, which kind of bugs me.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blueprint, Domino and one of the Cottage ones all in magazine
12.gif
now. I was seriously bummed for a whole day about Domino. That was, by far, my fave US home mag. Do love Dwell & the UK''s Elle Decor & World of Interiors. But I bet those are on the ropes too.
7.gif

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 1:34:26 AM
Author: pennquaker09

I have a subscription to Domino because House and Garden went out of publication, however;they just announced that the March issue of Domino will be the last one.

I''m in the same boat! I loved Home and Garden and was just starting to warm up to Domino, and now it''s gone.

I also had a subscription to Cottage Living, which recently folded. It got replaced by Southern Living, which I do love, but it''s not exactly the same kind of magazine.

I also really love Southern Accents and Traditional Home. I''ve loved Southern Accents since I was a kid reading my mother''s.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock

I don''t read magazines but I am obsessed with HGTV.

I pretty much watch it for hours on end. My favorite shows are Dear Genevieve, Myles of Style, Income Properties, Property Virgins, and House Hunters.

Design on a dime pisses me off because they very obviously lie about the costs of things. $53 dollars for FOUR stainless steel contemporary chairs? Um...no.

20.gif
Funny how they didn''t show where they got them.
12.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Veranda and Decor

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I have yet to find a home design magazine that has the same sense of style that I do. My goal is to make my apartment look like somebody took a trip around the world and then their suitcase exploded. But I want it to look nice and put together. I love eclectic homes where you walk around and find interesting pieces and things around every corner.

Anybody know a magazine for houses like that?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
all the ones that have folded
7.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Not magazine at all...lately I''ve taken to going to googleimages.com and typing in any house subject and seeing tons of inspiration. For example, go see what "great room" pulls up. Lots of great pics.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t realize that Cottage Living had folded. It was a pretty good magazine, too. Bummer.
38.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Traditional Home is my fave by far. I agree with Allisonfaye that has had a more contemporary feel to it. I love that since I''ve had a more contemporary feel to me lately! The mag has traditional ideas with a wee bit of a funky groove thrown in.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 9:51:01 PM
Author: HollyS
I didn''t realize that Cottage Living had folded. It was a pretty good magazine, too. Bummer.
38.gif

It was good, and I loved their garden section.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I was sick when I heard about Domino closing. I am a magazine whore, for sure. Just tonight I went through stacks of back issues, they are bound for the recycling
dumpster tomorrow. Can''t save ''em all. But I do hang on to certain issues.

Veranda
Southern Accents
Traditional Home
Domino
Decor
Dwell
Western Interiors
Texas Home
Metropolitan home
Southern Living
House Beautiful

I also get tons of catalogs. My biggest score was 43 in one day - my mailman just laughed.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
bebe, do you live in TX, too?
35.gif

I like Southern Living, but I wish sometimes that they would use larger pictures in their smaller features about travel, or home improvement before/after. I''ve got older eyes now.
2.gif

Western Interiors has some WOW homes featured. I could be happy in a beautiful log home in the Rockies. My home decor now is more cottage style than anything; but I can see myself in an Arts and Crafts bungalow, or southwestern style hacienda. Very modern/contemporary decor does not make my heart sing. I can appreciate the beauty of some of it; but it would never feel like home to me. The same with minimalist; it lacks ''spirituality'' to me. I guess I''m less Zen than I think.
9.gif

A home should be a bringing together of well-loved objects, art, and fabrics. It should look like it developed over time; not that it came straight from the display at Pottery Barn or Ethan Allen. I think that''s kinda what bugs me about some of the design shows on HGTV -- there is a generic look to the finished rooms that just looks like a catalog layout. If the knickknacks are too perfect, does it look contrived to anybody but me? And what is with the ''balls''? You know, the textured, or painted, or carved, or yarn looking, or twiggy spheres that you put in a bowl?? Or the ''finials'' that are supposed to look like architectural remnants?? Why are these popular? I hope I didn''t offend a poster who has either!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 11:06:35 AM
Author: HollyS
bebe, do you live in TX, too?
35.gif

I like Southern Living, but I wish sometimes that they would use larger pictures in their smaller features about travel, or home improvement before/after. I''ve got older eyes now.
2.gif

Western Interiors has some WOW homes featured. I could be happy in a beautiful log home in the Rockies. My home decor now is more cottage style than anything; but I can see myself in an Arts and Crafts bungalow, or southwestern style hacienda. Very modern/contemporary decor does not make my heart sing. I can appreciate the beauty of some of it; but it would never feel like home to me. The same with minimalist; it lacks ''spirituality'' to me. I guess I''m less Zen than I think.
9.gif

A home should be a bringing together of well-loved objects, art, and fabrics. It should look like it developed over time; not that it came straight from the display at Pottery Barn or Ethan Allen. I think that''s kinda what bugs me about some of the design shows on HGTV -- there is a generic look to the finished rooms that just looks like a catalog layout. If the knickknacks are too perfect, does it look contrived to anybody but me? And what is with the ''balls''? You know, the textured, or painted, or carved, or yarn looking, or twiggy spheres that you put in a bowl?? Or the ''finials'' that are supposed to look like architectural remnants?? Why are these popular? I hope I didn''t offend a poster who has either!
What IS with the bowl full of balls? I don''t get it either. I tend to be a very literal person and decor needs to make sense and functional in order for me to like it. Every time I see those 1,000 dirty thoughts cross my mind.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results