shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you wearing today?! Show me your CS!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I like your "hauyne"! I also like how my PT performs, even it's just a mediocre one.

Thanks @icy_jade!!
A few more on this super sunny cloudless day! It was sparkle time! 29A43BF7-74FA-4153-AB9F-919C329021A3.jpeg

Thanks, went a little nuts at the shoe store yesterday under the fluorescent lighting. Paraibas really do glow in all kinds of lighting. D71E3CF1-03C3-4E77-95A2-AC72486EA4B2.jpeg 72F7CD4C-B118-4EBE-84FF-382175B31384.jpeg

The feeling when you have a well behaved "pack".

IMG_7043.JPG

Sabina22

Rough_Rock
Today left hand little colour change bekily garnet ring, right hand small ruby and alex ring (difficult to photograph the green). Sorry for my ugly hands...
F940D6A1-8D15-41D7-A5A7-EB205E61B4BA.jpeg

Attachments

• DC19A9C4-DB90-4AF2-96FA-21283D5C7511.jpeg
    DC19A9C4-DB90-4AF2-96FA-21283D5C7511.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 94

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Today left hand little colour change bekily garnet ring, right hand small ruby and alex ring (difficult to photograph the green). Sorry for my ugly hands...
F940D6A1-8D15-41D7-A5A7-EB205E61B4BA.jpeg

I love seeing other smaller (for this forum at least) stones and how they're set! Your ruby is a gorgeous color.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Like a praying hand, lol.

IMG_7636.png
Side view today. I especially love the detail of the 18k Tacori style mounting on my ring finger. It’s not Tacori, but I think it has more detail. EB3D7BB8-4F81-467D-B050-794FC2AFE501.jpeg

I like the orange color from this angle too.

BTW, I read that spessartite is heat sensitive, are we talking about wearing it in summer is a no? How hot is considered to be too hot? TIA, @T L

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Neptune
I never heard that about spessartite. I find them to be hearty gems, like most garnets. I do know they’re very dense, but that’s about it.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
@Neptune
I never heard that about spessartite. I find them to be hearty gems, like most garnets. I do know they’re very dense, but that’s about it.

Thanks for the response. I was told not to even wash hand in hot water while wearing it. I could do my best avoid doing that but what about wearing it in summer?

I got curious and am trying to educate myself on this topic, then I found this info.

HandlingUltrasonic: generally safe, but risky if the gem contains liquid inclusions
Steamer: not safe
The best way to care for spessartite is to clean it with warm, soapy water. Avoid exposure to heat or acids.

Care​

Clean garnets with warm water, detergent, and a soft brush. Although relatively hard and tough, garnets can be heat sensitive. Avoid using extreme heat.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think hot water is fine, as I clean mine all the time in hot, but not boiling, water. As for ultrasonic and stream cleaners, I never recommend them for any gemstones.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I think hot water is fine, as I clean mine all the time in hot, but not boiling, water. As for ultrasonic and stream cleaners, I never recommend them for any gemstones.

I use only warm to cool soapy water too. Still wondering about summer sunlight exposure...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use only warm to cool soapy water too. Still wondering about summer sunlight exposure...

Oh heaven’s no!! Wear it in all seasons, although it’s like having a bright piece of sunshine on cloudy bleak cool days.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Oh heaven’s no!! Wear it in all seasons, although it’s like having a bright piece of sunshine on cloudy bleak cool days.

Ha, you're cute!

Reactions: T L

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Years ago, when the Nigerian orange spessartite find was new my wife got a four-carat stone and had it set in a traditional wedding ring with diamonds. Of course, the orange spessartite was the center stone. Later a melee diamond fell out of the ring and we sent it to bench jeweler to replace the diamond which was not even close to the spessartite. The ring came back and the spessartite looked like a fried marble. The heat cracked the stone. They took responsibility for the damage, but it took the 4 months to find a suitable replacement. I offered to pick the stone, would have been cheaper for them but no. Still have what we call our "crack baby." It fell to pieces as soon as it was removed from the mount.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Years ago, when the Nigerian orange spessartite find was new my wife got a four-carat stone and had it set in a traditional wedding ring with diamonds. Of course, the orange spessartite was the center stone. Later a melee diamond fell out of the ring and we sent it to bench jeweler to replace the diamond which was not even close to the spessartite. The ring came back and the spessartite looked like a fried marble. The heat cracked the stone. They took responsibility for the damage, but it took the 4 months to find a suitable replacement. I offered to pick the stone, would have been cheaper for them but no. Still have what we call our "crack baby." It fell to pieces as soon as it was removed from the mount.

Maybe he was just a bad jeweler, only used to diamonds. Ugh! Well, I suppose I’ll keep that in mind, but I’ve worn my spessartite without problems for years. They’re great when it comes to wear. I can’t say the same for other brittle gems like tanzanite.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe he was just a bad jeweler, only used to diamonds. Ugh! Well, I suppose I’ll keep that in mind, but I’ve worn my spessartite without problems for years. They’re great when it comes to wear. I can’t say the same for other brittle gems like tanzanite.

So has she over 20 years with the replacement.

This was the late 90's. Many bench jewelers had never seen Mandarin spessartite Garnet let alone set one.

A long, long, time ago.

In a galaxy far, far, away. =)2

Reactions: T L

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
I wonder why they did not unset it first. I guess that is why they took responsibility. My jeweler told me that he unsets all gemstones before using heat.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder why they did not unset it first. I guess that is why they took responsibility. My jeweler told me that he unsets all gemstones before using heat.

That I cannot answer. It was sent out to Chicago to be set.

Who knows???

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Blue sapphire ring, icy jadeite ring, icy jadeite bracelet and star sapphire bracelet today

EB0C4D91-1CA9-45D2-A1F8-48955A2CE31D.jpeg

taken in the car as usual

Oh ya and this was yesterday’s jadeite bracelet stack (icy jadeite with lucky bats) but I didn’t like it as much as the previous green combination or today’s star sapphire and icy jadeite one:
6AA8AC31-F875-4A4F-B9A1-AD38EA7541A8.jpeg

Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Blue sapphire ring, icy jadeite ring, icy jadeite bracelet and star sapphire bracelet today

Someday, I am buying an icy jadeite bracelet! I love it!!!!! Did you buy it through one of those sites I can't understand how to use? :roll2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Someday, I am buying an icy jadeite bracelet! I love it!!!!! Did you buy it through one of those sites I can't understand how to use? :roll2:

Lol you can say so. The star sapphire bracelet was customized but the others are from Kathy.

The eBay site has some LINK

And on the site: LINK

I got mine when they were on sale at various times. I suppose you can make an offer on eBay and see if they accept. Typically their annual sales is 20% off

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
IMG_20210416_114154017_HDR.jpg
Decided to pair the yellowish green garnet ring I had with my engagement ring and kinda digging the yellow blue combo. Also playing with the YAG I got recently from Finewater Gems and a chonky zircon from Mastercut Gems. This is my daily lighting condition working from home.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results