shape
carat
color
clarity

What Are You Reading 2007

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 9:45:38 AM
Author: Rosebud8506
Date: 3/27/2007 5:43:39 PM

Author: LuckyLady

Have either of you tried Jane Green or Jennifer Weiner?

Jane Green is a British writer, has written tons of these kind of books.

JW is good, kind of annoying sometimes, but good at this genre.

I'll have to check those out!

Is 'Baby Proof' even out yet???? I think that's the next installment of EG's series...

FYI Gypsy: it's Emily Giffin not Griffin, I made that mistake when I went to Borders, lol
2.gif

I am reading "baby proof" right now and I am NOT loving it. Kind of sad b/c I loved her other two. Oh well! They are different characters.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
oh mara,
your post reminded me that I love marion keyes. Have you read her book watermelon? it is awesome . . . it was the first thing that made me laugh after the end of a 6.5 year relationship. let us know what you think of the books.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Memoirs of Lee Kuan Yew and our family history. The former because it''s just something one has too, IMO (not just because we now live in Singapore). The latter is because I am proud of our roots and also ''cos it took my Dad several years to research and compile and translate (written in Vietnamese initially, not easy for me to read, and translated into English).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the last 10 days...
John Grisham - the client - 3rd time
James Axler - outlanders book1 - 5th time over 5 years.
P.T. Deuterman - official privilege - 2nd time
Terry Brooks - A knight of the word - 5 or 6th time over many many years
Kenneth Abel - The Burying fields - first time
Stephen Coonts - Liars & Thieves - 2nd time
Louise Lamour - Milo Talon - 20th time
Tom Clancy - executive orders - 1/2 way thru yesterday and have read it about 4 times before.. kicken book.

I need to get some new books lol

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I envy you folks who actually get to read novels.... I never have time to do that any more.

A friend just gave The Secret to me..stopped by to drop it off even. It's a new agey-self help book that the basic premise is the law of attraction...Here's a quote:

"Your thoughts determine your frequency, and your feelings tell you immediately what frequency you are on. When you feel bad, you are on the frequency of drawing more bad things. When you feel good, you are powerfully attracting more good things to you."

I think it must follow the whole "postive thinking" concept.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
For those of you who love Henry VIII, check out showtime''s new series....I don''t think Henry really looked this good....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17857744/from/RS.1/

I love Sedaris and have read all three Giffin books. She writes well meaning that it''s an easy read but her characters fall kind of flat with me. But it''s chick lit and good for the genre.

I love a good travelogue and Bill Bryson is my fave.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
So I just finished 'Something Blue' and no, 'Baby Proof' is not about Darcy and Rachael, like someone else mentioned here. I was a bit bummed... its about a new character Claudia. I will probably pick it up, since I just love the way EG writes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great link TG - I agree, I bet Henry didn''t ever look that good, by all accounts he didn''t smell too pleasant either
emotion-41.gif

AmandaD513

Rough_Rock
I was just lurking on this thread looking for some good books to read. I just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. I liked it, but I agree the ending left me a little cold. I do love her books though! There is one title of hers that I haven't seen mentioned here and I wanted to let you Jodi Picoult fans to pick it up, it's called Harvesting the Heart. Also, I wanted to recommend The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards.
36.gif
Great book! Anyhow, sorry to barge in on your thread, but thanks for the titles! I definately need something new to read!
35.gif

JenniferB

Shiny_Rock
Sorry all to keep replying to old threads...there is just so much interesting stuff on PS!!! (Btw, LienTN - I came across this looking for pics of your ring after your comment to me in SMTR! - Your ring is just beautiful
36.gif
and I am glad you understand the desire for the halo!)

That is so wonderful that your dad made that translation! I WISH I had something like that (I am half Vietnamese) - my DH is so intrigued by the history of our family he wants to interview my grandfather and have my mom translate because I really can''t ever provide him much info. You are SO lucky to have something that rich in culture and family - treasure it!

The last book I read is "The God of Small Things" - excellent...a little disturbing (not a beachy read, but not esoteric where your brain hurts from thinking - I can only read a few of those a year!)...but very powerful nonetheless .... the kind of book that is so great to discuss with a friend afterward...
1.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Since this thread has been bumped . . . I have a confession to make.
My name is hikerchick and I have a problem with buying books.

I went to a booksale at a public library this past weekend and spent $28 at $1 a book . . . it gave me such a rush. I will report back with recommendations from that pile soon.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I joined the local library and I''m having so much fun taking books out instead of buying them!!!

I have been on a - hmmmm, what are they called.....culinary biography(?) kick? Books that are sort of autobiographies that strew recipes in between stories about occasions and food. Totally fun. In this category I have read the following recently:

Cooking for Mr. Latte - Amanda Hesser (kinda cute, a few recipes that I want to try)
On Rue Tatin - Susan Loomis (cool book about moving to France and buying/restoring a house)
The Man Who Ate Everything - Jeffrey Steingarten (sorta funny but kinda boring, found myself skipping chapters at a time)

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Just finished The Debutante Divorcee''. By Plum Sykes

totally a "duh" read. If you want a silly girl book
for the beach, this one will do. It''s a quick read too.

Now I''m starting Charlie Wilson''s War. By George Crile
The extraordinary story of how the wildest man in Congress
and a rouge CIA agent changed the history of our times
(from the front of the book!)
There is also a character in the book, Joanne Herring,
I met her many years ago, so I was complelled to read this.
A movie is being made, Tom Hanks as Charlie Wilson and
Julia Roberts as Joanne.
It''s supposed to be a wild true story!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Suite Francaise, by Irene Nemirovsky.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Do textbooks count? I don''t remember the last time I read for enjoyment.... oh wait was it last summer maybe.... Haven''t had a whole lot of time this year
7.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! You''re half Vietnamese? I bet you''re gorgeous. All the half-Vietnamese I come across are absolutely stunning. In fact, there are lots of Eurasians here in S''pore and they are really beautiful. Just out of curiosity, do you describe yrself as a Eurasian (as strictly speaking, that would be half-European and half-Asian..I know, I know...I am pedantic!
1.gif
)?

Yes, it is amazing that my dad did this. I do treasure it. It took him forever, years, literally. First, he had to do a ton of research, reading up, talking to people etc. then there was all that translation. I am really glad he did though. I am very proud of my roots. I can understand yr DH''s fascination. VN is such an amazing country and the Vietnamese, IMO, are amongst the most resilient and determined people I know. You should really encourage yr hubby to do this. You''d be glad. I am sure there''re some really amazing stuff that you might not otherwise find out.

JenniferB

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I''m a halfie! Some people can tell, and some people can''t. (Believe me I''ve had my fair share of busting those ladies in the nail salons when they talk about me the first time they find out....
31.gif
!!!) I don''t think I have described myself as Eurasian, some people have referred to me that way - but when I get asked "What are you?" which I find to be a rude phrasing, I usually just describe. Btw, "pedantic" is one of my favorite words --- did you see that Family Guy episode where he can''t stop repeating "shallow and pedantic"? It is hilarious. My dad is Scottish - so I guess I could kind of get away with it.

DH is SO jealous of your book!!!! I told him last night at dinner and he was like "AHHHHHH Can we get someone in your family to do that??!!!?" I would do it myself but I do not speak or understand enough Vietnamese to make it worth doing as it would be *highly* inaccurate! Make ten copies of it and hide them everywhere so you never can lose it.

Sorry for the threadjack! I will add another book I highly recommend, easy to read and then you can watch the movie...

Girl with a Pearl Earring. One of my all time faves.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results