shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you going to do re: high prices for diamonds?

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Considering that I discovered DiamondTalk in the early 2000s when I was thinking about getting something to commemorate our 15th anniversary and now, after having celebrated 22 years of marriage, public banning from DT and years of lurking about this place, I STILL haven't bought anything -- I guess I will continue to do nothing!

Hmmm, why am I here? I enjoy the conversation and *looking* at all the lovely bling. If the rest of you aren't going to be buying diamonds, will you still be posting here? (Maybe I should go find that sewing thread....)

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I'm out - too expensive for me. I'd been saving for my first pair of diamond studs for a while, and now that I have the funds they're out of my reach again :(sad

(I think this is probably my third or fourth post about that. Clearly I am a sympathy hog. Woe is me.)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Porridge|1314280553|2999135 said:
I'm out - too expensive for me. I'd been saving for my first pair of diamond studs for a while, and now that I have the funds they're out of my reach again :(sad

(I think this is probably my third or fourth post about that. Clearly I am a sympathy hog. Woe is me.)

Yeah, but we're all wallowing in the same trough!

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I've been wanting to upgrade my little 0.48ct diamond I bought from GoG at the beginning of the year, but diamond prices just keep climbing and climbing, so I'm just going to wait it out until I upgrade... :(sad On a side note, I've been perusing eBay for deals and my most recent one was a 0.68ct round cut champagne diamond for a little over $100. It had an indented natural inclusion which was prongable and I just set it into a vintage 10k yellow gold 6-prong setting I had.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think thankfully for me the only project I have in my head involves 4 small rubies I got, and making either a ring or a dbty necklace with them but I would be using like 10pt stones or even 1.5/2pt stones for either option. Right now my dad has them in hopes of making something with them for my mom for their 40th coming up, but I don't know if he will or not. Right now he's eyeing my friend Lori's Ritani threestone with side rubies, and having it made in yg for my mom's right hand. I dunno what he'll do.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I don't have anything to add about diamond prices, but I just want to say congratulations to you Skippy on your two baby boys!!! I hope you are all doing well.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Skippy,

Congrats on your little guys! You know, I'm also looking to buy and the prices are simply too high for me to justify spending the amount for what I'm looking for, so I'm just hanging on for the time being hoping the prices will go down (which I DO think they will). In the mean time, no, I wouldn't go for uncertified...if only it meant buying now or never, the diamonds would either be smaller or second hand for me to purchase. (ETA - oh, I do take that back - I have been looking at some of the pre-set pieces sold at WF and would consider their earrings - actually have been...but I have worked w/them in the past and had great luck :))

These prices have me crying in my beer :rodent:

No really though, I am focusing on gems and pearls.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was hoping to get myself something when I graduate but I think that might have to wait. It's just too expensive for me.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I'd buy uncertified but only from certain vendors!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yikes - I'm killing time Hurricane Weekend diamond shopping, so I went to check a few of the stones I was stalking.

My beloved 4.20 dream stone - N color, perfectly square, with strong fluor - that used to be 20K before the big hike? Was 35K at the beginning of the week, is now 37K.

A new stone (fancy light brown, just over three carats) ... I didn't get a screenshot, but I could have sworn it was within spitting distance of my budget, maybe 22k. Now? 27K. And on and on and on, so it goes ....

The thing is, I have nothing but sympathy for the vendors. This is tougher on them than it is on us: they have to raise prices to stay in business, both to afford new materials at higher prices, and to cover the fact they're making fewer sales.

Nevertheless, it is incredibly frustrating to watch oneself being priced out of the market. That watch or colored stone is looking more and more likely ....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results