shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you getting your DH/SO for the Holidays?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the kind words everyone! While I may have made things seem a bit 'doom and gloom', we are optimistic and trying to stay positive. With a new job for me starting early in the new year we are relieved, it's just that right now is getting very tight for us all things considered so that's probably why we are not entirely fussed about giving each other gifts this year.

DF, thanks for giving me an idea though! Today I am going to put together a little video with pics and stuff from this year. It won't cost anything but I am sure she will love it! I was thinking that once we have moved next year and settled in that I will send off her favourite opal in our collection to be set into a rin and at first I thought that it would be a great idea since I have cut it, but now I am not so sure it would be so special since it's a stone she has seen before and she can cut her own stone if she wants to as well. I should have learned lapidary on my own :lol: :lol:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
december-fire|1482418478|4108979 said:
Trekkie|1482348515|4108796 said:
december-fire|1482246675|4108552 said:
Trekkie,

I love that you had the medals framed! :love: :love: :love:
What a thoughtful gift, and a wonderful way to remember your DH's grandfather and respect his contributions during the War.

You're right, there is no shortage of rules concerning medals, ribbons and other commendations; who can wear them, how and when to wear them, etc.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but even the colours of the ribbons are symbolic. You may be interested in the following which pertains to the medals you've framed (assuming I've correctly identified them).

From left to right:
1939-45 Star; The three equal stripes represent the Royal and Merchant Navies (dark blue), the Army (red), and the Royal Air Force (light blue).
Africa Star; The colours represent the desert, army, navy, and air force.
Italy Star; The colours represent the colours of the Italian flag.
Defence Medal; The orange (flame colour) represents the enemy attacks on the (green) British Isles and the black stripes represent the black-outs during the war years.
War Medal; The colours represent the Union Jack.

Please forgive me for being a detail nut but, since you plan on re-framing the medals, you might want to flip the first medal (if it is the 1939-45 Star), so that the dark blue stripe is on the left as you look at it. (When worn, the dark blue stripe is to be furthest from the left shoulder.) :angel:

No way!!!!! That so called expert assured me I had them right!

Thanks so much for pointing this out - I really appreciate it! Will change as per your recommendation. Thanks so much for your help!

Whew, that's a relief! I thought it was 50/50 that you'd either be happy to know or would give me an eye-roll and ask if I had nothing better to do. :lol: The internet has a lot of information on medals/stars which, by the way, describe the 'front' and 'back' of the medal. Yup, the medal/star is to facing a certain way, too. Just google the name of the medal and check out the official government sites; not the sites that sell medals.

No, I'm really appreciative, thank you! And he loves it! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results