shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you buying in the Black Friday Cyber Monday sales?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fess up what are you buying in the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales or their presales?

I just bought this, probably proving I am a crazy cat lady;

PXRU8519_001.jpeg

Attachments

• PXRU8519_001_1.jpeg
    PXRU8519_001_1.jpeg
    3.1 KB · Views: 20

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww. Marc Jacobs used to do the same design with ballet flats. That’s an adorable handbag. I’m not fond of the probable copying, but it’s still a great and fun design and well executed on KS part.

I don’t do Black Friday shopping whatsoever. Never have! Is that weird? I know a lot of people who have made it a tradition to go to Target or Walmart or other big box stores in the middle of the night, then post on social media about it and the deals they got. I say good ok then but man I value sleep way more than saving 50% or whatever on a flat screen!

Cyber Monday and the local Saturday sales are things I can get into. I’ll do some local shopping for certain hand made things in Saturday and I’ll do a shit ton of CM online shopping if there are deals to be had on staples I need. Not necessarily Xmas gifts, mind you. Call me a pagan who celebrates a pagan holiday with a rather grinchy attitude. #factcheck #howlongwillwekeepupthispretense #pagan #questioneverything

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww. Marc Jacobs used to do the same design with ballet flats. That’s an adorable handbag. I’m not fond of the probable copying, but it’s still a great and fun design and well executed on KS part.

I don’t do Black Friday shopping whatsoever. Never have! Is that weird? I know a lot of people who have made it a tradition to go to Target or Walmart or other big box stores in the middle of the night, then post on social media about it and the deals they got. I say good ok then but man I value sleep way more than saving 50% or whatever on a flat screen!

Cyber Monday and the local Saturday sales are things I can get into. I’ll do some local shopping for certain hand made things in Saturday and I’ll do a shit ton of CM online shopping if there are deals to be had on staples I need. Not necessarily Xmas gifts, mind you. Call me a pagan who celebrates a pagan holiday with a rather grinchy attitude. #factcheck #howlongwillwekeepupthispretense #pagan #questioneverything

I've got a couple of pairs of Charlotte Olympia cat shoes and flats - what can I say I'm a sucker for cat things..... :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing.
I don't Christmas shop.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing.
I don't Christmas shop.

Do you buy your SO's nieces things? I kind of think Christmas is for kids anyway......

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might be a total Scrooge. This year I am purchasing gift cards for everyone on my list (which is decidedly brief—less then 10 people!) from my supermarket because I get 4x fuel points for gift card purchases. :oops2:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might be a total Scrooge. This year I am purchasing gift cards for everyone on my list (which is decidedly brief—less then 10 people!) from my supermarket because I get 4x fuel points for gift card purchases. :oops2:

Honestly gift cards are so much more practical/useful/desirable than getting superfluous Christmas cr@* that most of us neither want or need.....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you buy your SO's nieces things? I kind of think Christmas is for kids anyway......

Only my SO, but I try to avoid giving anything that would be part of a black Friday sale.
Usually it'll be an antique or I'll paint a painting, or write him a song.
I'm not really part of the holiday-buy-stuff system.

My SO makes up for me by keeping the economy going.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only my SO, but I try to avoid giving anything that would be part of a black Friday sale.
Usually it'll be an antique or I'll paint a painting, or write him a song.
I'm not really part of the holiday-buy-stuff system.

My SO makes up for me by keeping the economy going.

I've actually been wanting to ask you, Jordy and Rockdiamond your opinion about buying a first electric guitar for my son. He has been playing a 3/4 sized acoustic inexpensive but surprisingly nice sounding (I'm classically trained in flute) nylon stringed Cordoba for a year and a half to just under 2 years. I went into the local guitar shop and they played a couple of smallish Fenders - a Mustang and another small one that didn't do anything for me at all - too bright and punchy IMHO soundwise for me, a semi hollow inexpensive PRS 22, a solid PRS 22 both were O.K but not outstanding and a muddy sounding Gibson SG. I then went to another store and listed to 4 different models of SGs and they sounded much better and cleaner sounding than the first SG at the first store (despite being the same model) and the others.

We have a friend going to the US in a few weeks and he can bring back a guitar for me if I want - the Gibsons in particular are substantially cheaper in the US than they are here. I'm looking for a light guitar for a 10 year old that will be easy to play and not much over $1000 USD so I'm not going to stress if it gets scratched or knocked around, but is decent enough sounding that he can grow into playing it. I've been looking at 2017 Gibson SG standards that stores are clearing out, Zac Myers PRS SEs and there is one store that has a tiny number of 2016 Gibson Memphis ES- Les Paul (not the larger 339s) that I think are factory seconds for $950USD up to $1650.00USD. I grilled the store that has them for sale and he says they are not "B" grade but have been sitting in and moved around in their warehouse and are old stock, they are listed as floor stock but I suspect they might have had things wrong with them been sent back to the factory fixed and now this guy is selling them cheaply via his store. They sell so fast that unlike the other two guitars where I can either get via Sweetwater or a store that can check them out for me, they are pretty sell sold as is. These types of guitars sell for $4000AUD+ here and I worry that 1)since it's cheap it might be a lemon and 2) it's going to be too much guitar for a kid to carry around at school....

My son's guitar teacher is a luthier so I guess he could fix or work on anything that isn't 100%. He is a bit of a Fender guy and I am ambivalent to the sound of the kid sized Fenders.

So it has to be something lightweight, easy to play for small fingers, and have a decent sound so I don't go nuts listening to it and I'd prefer to buy something that is O.K rather than just super cheap so I don't have to replace it in two or three years. Suggestions?

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All things considered ... I'd get him a Fender Stratocaster.
Basically Fender makes 3 lines (IOW price points) of their Strat ... made in Asia, Mexico, and USA.
I do not recommend the Fenders made in Asia which are called Squire, as they are basically toys.

The ones made in USA may be better but are MUCH more expensive than those made in Mexico.
The Fender Strats made in Mexico have excellent reviews, and I read they are a great value.

You didn't mention the child's age, but if not under 11 or so I'd recommend a full-sized Strat like the link below.
For the same price you can select the body color and select one of two fingerboard wood choices, light maple or darker rosewood ... totally personal preference.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-standard-stratocaster-electric-guitar-with-maple-fretboard/h76526000005001?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhJTT9cPK1wIVBr3sCh100w6-EAQYBSABEgKF8_D_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^221957295803-device^c-plaid^335491600313-sku^H76526000005001@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mention Gibson and 339s.
That is a totally different type/sound than a solid body as in Fender Strat or Gibson Les Paul or Les Paul standard.

I own a Gibson Les Paul and a Gibson ES-335 ... the original semi-hollow body Gibson invented in the 1950s
The ES- 339 is a scaled down body that's otherwise the same as the 335.
IMO if you can buy a 335 or 339 do so ... Gibson's least-expensive versions are called Studio versions ... same sound and feel, just less bling.
IMO it's my favorite electric guitar of all regardless of price.
Larry Carlton called the Gibson ES-335 the ultimate guitar (or something like that) since it is so flexible.
It can do everything.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I googled them a full sized Stratocaster on Sweetwater they are 8lbs 3oz, another was 7lb 13oz. He is 9 turning 10 soon and the reason for going for a Gibson SG was twofold firstly I prefer the deeper darker tones to the strats and secondly they are noticeably lighter, as are the hollow body PRS's. All the guitars I've been looking at are also shorter in length than the Stratocaster as well..... I actually felt the weight of a number of guitars in the shop, they got them off the walls and we went for ones that were light and then a young guy played a heap of them for me. So think something that isn't a kids toy he can grow into but it still has to be small and light. These were the Fenders the sales people in the shop suggested because they are smaller and lighter than the others;
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Must90RTOR
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DuoSonHSRBLK/lightest

The PRS semi hollow and the Gibson SG both sounded a lot better than them. I personally like the sound of the Gibson Les Pauls but they are way too heavy for a child his size.

Yes the studio ES semi hollow is exactly the one that is again much lighter than the other Gibson Memphis guitars;
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ESLPST16WRNH

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fender and Gibson electrics both have wonderful tone, but very different tone.

You need to ask the student what kind of music he likes.
Then go on youtube to see if Fenders or Gibsons are used for that band.

Of course I'm oversimplifying ... but you gotta start somewhere.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like the sound of the Gibson Les Pauls but they are way too heavy for a child his size.

Do more homework.

Back in the day the original LPs (heaviest) had bodies of solid mahogany with a maple 'cap'.
Today Gibson make several models of the LP.
Some are still solid mahogany under the universal maple cap, and are very heavy.
Others have some of the mahogany milled (cut) away to make them lighter.
Check Gibson's website and compare weight of all their Les Paul models.

My Les Paul is a Studio version ... IMO nearly all the sound of the more expensive Les Pauls but much lighter and cheaper.
FYI, binding (the white plastic strips on the edge of the top and bottom of the most-costly LPs) is a very labor-intensive process that adds greatly to the price but adds nothing to the sound or playability.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a LP with much of the mahogany milled away.
This results in a much lighter guitar.
After the maple cap (top) is on you can't see the difference.

Some purists claim/insist the heavier LPs, that do not have mahogany milled out, sound better and have more sustain.
Okay, whatev ... for a LUCKY kid a lighter LP is still a superb superb superb beginner's guitar.

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 4.06.32 AM.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have looked on Sweetwater at the weight of everything and felt the weight of a Studio Faded in the shop, still heavier for a child than the semi hollow or the SG Standard. He is the kind of child that would be happy with anything that sounds good, he likes a range of music, but particularly AC/DC like his Dad, this means possibly a preference towards the darker deeper tones that I myself also prefer ie a Gibson than the brighter sounding Fenders. The Cordoba 3/4 acoustic he currently has a Spanish flavour to it, and we all liked it over the other kids guitars in the shop when we bought his first guitar. I made them take out 4 of the same model guitar and I picked the one with the nicest tone.

https://www.amazon.com/Cordoba-Cadete-Acoustic-String-Classical/dp/B007SQZJ64

I take it that means everyone hates the PRSs? They have a very different range of sounds too, to both the Fenders and the Gibsons.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with a Gibson SG.
Fine guitars, yes lighter, but different tone than a LP.

But again pay close attention to the guitars played by this person's favorite bands.
If they are mostly LPs, do NOT get an SG ... or you'll be looking at an upgrade to a LP before too long.

There are ways to mitigate a heavy guitar ...
When standing up a wide strap (4") will distribute the weight over more of the shoulder.
When sitting down place the left foot (if guitarists is right-handed) on a foot rest.
Balance guitar on a thigh ... which will take all of the weight.

A guitarist should never hold up a guitar, light or heavy.
Arms need to be free to position the hands where they need to be.
Arms should NOT be holding up the guitar.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O.K I'll go online and watch Youtube videos of what he likes music wise and see what types of guitars they are playing - I've been trying to do it blind because it hopefully will be a surprise either Christmas or birthday gift. His teacher has a 335 which I've heard him play - that's a lovely guitar!!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wait until Cyber Monday usually. I don't christmas shop though, I shop for me...lol I don't venture out into the stores, thats crazy to me, and one time only I worked a black friday (worked in retail moons ago) and it was pure hell..never again.

Heck I won't even go to a grocery store on black friday :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am generally out in the crowds on Black Friday because I enjoy the hustle and bustle of it all! I'm not really looking for anything specific but I love to poke around and then get a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks and people watch. I have already purchased the big gifts for the grandkids so I am not pressed to do big shopping on that day - I just enjoy the atmosphere!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No shopping for me, however DH will probably venture out to the Lego store (for himself mind you, not the kids) and to Best Buy to get Supernatural on DVD because it's usually $10.

He has camped out before which I think is crazy but it's usually for the kids so I can't really complain. Not for me though, I enjoy shopping after Christmas, typically I go to Hallmark and get our annual ornaments the day after because they are so much cheaper.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm probably going to get our wedding bands. Ewedding bands usually has like 15% off for Black Friday/Cyber Monday so I figure I'll save a little money and buy them then.

I think that's the only thing I am planning to buy. I have most of my Christmas shopping done and wrapped already. :oops:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm probably going to get our wedding bands. Ewedding bands usually has like 15% off for Black Friday/Cyber Monday so I figure I'll save a little money and buy them then.

I think that's the only thing I am planning to buy. I have most of my Christmas shopping done and wrapped already. :oops:

Over achiever! :eek2:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing big this year, we are getting holiday pictures done that day and might order cards. I'll also be most likely hitting up sephora.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally do shopping early and am very organized. I do not even have a list this year, let alone started shopping. However, I may actually buy things during this black Friday, which I normally avoid like the plague. We have a 32" tv, but I reconfigured the living room so now the tv is farther away from the seating, so I would like to get one in the 40, 43" size, and one that is smart so when the wii dies, I can still stream Netflix. Also I want to get an xbox for primary gift for youngest daughter. I'm either going to buy a like new (used) 360, or may get the newest depending on the black Friday sales. I'll wait until then to decide.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I usually shop online. But this year I haven't bought anything. Son's birthday is 11/28 and daughter is 12/18, I don't have anything for that either. Son wants a xbox one, a computer and bike, daughter wants a computer, a bike and pokemon cards (she'll be 14). We don't have room for bikes and my husband does not want to get them electronics. So all that's left are pokemon cards and I don't want to buy anymore of THAT lol
I'm tempted to just buy myself things from the bluenile 50% off select diamond sale. I've been eyeing their wedding rings for a while.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually shop online. But this year I haven't bought anything. Son's birthday is 11/28 and daughter is 12/18, I don't have anything for that either. Son wants a xbox one, a computer and bike, daughter wants a computer, a bike and pokemon cards (she'll be 14). We don't have room for bikes and my husband does not want to get them electronics. So all that's left are pokemon cards and I don't want to buy anymore of THAT lol
I'm tempted to just buy myself things from the bluenile 50% off select diamond sale. I've been eyeing their wedding rings for a while.

Blue Nile 50% off sale!?!?!
Have got to go look for details now...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's up to 50% off and I saw nothing interesting for me personally. Good luck.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered a few gifts online today. I noticed the store I wanted to order from offered the same prices as are offered on Black Friday.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results