shape
carat
color
clarity

What are the largest & smallest sizes you would be willing to wear for your everyday jewelry?

I don't wear some of the pieces and some aren't something I'd buy. I will only answer for what I'd actually wear.

Largest:

non-band rings- I think the largest I'd actually wear would be a 6 carat old mine or a similar size step cut. I have a 3.09 old mine and it is a nice size and noticeable, but double that is probably the most I would wear. Realistically, no more than 11 x 11ish max for the center at very largest. Sweet spot is probably a high 4.something to 5 realistically or 10.2 to 10.5ish mm size.

Studs- I don't wear these often. I have a pair of moissy OEC cuts and they are 2 ct equivalent. Moissy studs suit me fine honestly. I don't get to see them so I'd rather spend where I can see them.

Smallest:

non band rings- really depends. I have one ring that is late deco and I wear for travel. I love it. It has a .15 or so center in a scalloped frame design. I like it so much that I am having a replica made with an antique oval that is 1.4ish, I think?

Studs- probably .50 ctw would be the smallest for me. I am not a tiny person.

I think the size choices make sense. I like the use of the word “realistically” - sure, id love a 40ct diamond but what on earth would I do with it?? I love step cuts - they look so gorgeous in bigger sizes and somehow less overwhelming than rounds even though they cover more finger.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did they feel heavy on your earlobe, or not really?

Gosh they are pretty!

IIRC they felt very comfortable for the short while I was wearing them. I don't know their gram weight however and if they are over 2/2.5 grams per earring they probably wouldn't be comfortable for too long for me. But for the short time I was enjoying them they were very comfortable. These are my dream earrings and Anup's OEC is my dream OEC. Though I LOVE Bubbalah. I have lots of love to give. :)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
IIRC they felt very comfortable for the short while I was wearing them. I don't know their gram weight however and if they are over 2/2.5 grams per earring they probably wouldn't be comfortable for too long for me. But for the short time I was enjoying them they were very comfortable. These are my dream earrings and Anup's OEC is my dream OEC. Though I LOVE Bubbalah. I have lots of love to give. :)

They look gorgeous on you!

I'm trying to figure out what my own weight (grams) tolerance is for earrings. So thank you for giving yours. Hearing peoples' experiences really helps.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we are talking about DAILY WEAR I have tiny fingers (size 5/6) so probably 5ct max solitaire although elongated cuts maybe could get away with more? :think: Max 2ct earrings and perhaps a larger necklace.... No limits on smallest, one of my e-rings was 0.25ct and I thought it was great a size on me.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Oh wait this is for daily wear, assuming I have to work??? Honestly my every day jewelry is nothing at all! My finger shrinks as the day goes on and rings spin, my earlobes start aching from even light earrings, and my collarbone hates any type of chains for more than a few hours, so I can't pull my 10 hour work days with jewelry without taking them off. Left jewelry on my desk plenty of times and rushed back in a panic!! But if I had unlimited money and lounged around all day, I'd bling up my hands and wrists and admire them as much as possible.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Today I have on my 1ct marquise ring, which is my everyday ring (until my 1.6ct Asscher is set), my 1.6ct eternity band, my 1ct champagne pendant and .50ctw studs. I usually wear a combo of these items. I have a 2ct oval which I tend to wear when going out.

PS - I am so glad I can say all that here and it's totally normal LOL

If we are talking about DAILY WEAR I have tiny fingers (size 5/6) so probably 5ct max solitaire although elongated cuts maybe could get away with more? :think: Max 2ct earrings and perhaps a larger necklace.... No limits on smallest, one of my e-rings was 0.25ct and I thought it was great a size on me.

We’re quite similar in our thought process, except I could go bigger in my ears and smaller around my neck!

Oh wait this is for daily wear, assuming I have to work??? Honestly my every day jewelry is nothing at all! My finger shrinks as the day goes on and rings spin, my earlobes start aching from even light earrings, and my collarbone hates any type of chains for more than a few hours, so I can't pull my 10 hour work days with jewelry without taking them off. Left jewelry on my desk plenty of times and rushed back in a panic!! But if I had unlimited money and lounged around all day, I'd bling up my hands and wrists and admire them as much as possible.

Yes I thought daily wear because there are a lot of questions about the biggest size you can wear full stop, and sure if you’re going to a party or something, you’re probably comfortable wearing even the Krupp diamond or something, but in everyday life there are social/safety/practicality considerations.

I do hope your beautiful OEC gets worn reasonably often though! It’s too beautiful not to!

Today I have on my 1ct marquise ring, which is my everyday ring (until my 1.6ct Asscher is set), my 1.6ct eternity band, my 1ct champagne pendant and .50ctw studs. I usually wear a combo of these items. I have a 2ct oval which I tend to wear when going out.

PS - I am so glad I can say all that here and it's totally normal LOL

Yes it’s totally normal haha! I also don’t think it’s too much from what you describe. Very proportional. Also, I love ovals!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I am maybe in a minority here - i had a 2 carat solitaire and found it too big to be comfortable. I just was always aware of it. I have large hands, and thought I "needed" a large stone...aesthetically, I didn't mind it...but I think i am a have very sensitive "senses" in general - I am easily overstimulated visually, by touch, sound, etc. I am also relatively casual, so can't imagine myself with large diamonds in particular, although I love the joy they bring others. I could swing large cabs for non-daily wear and might get a few colored stone RHRs that are slightly bigger, but never over 3 carats....

studs - under 1 carat each is my max - I'll start with ~0.5 each

e-ring ~1.5 carats round (I have a 3-stone with 1.3 center, 0.27 sides and love it) ~2 carats for an asscher (~7mm is my sweet spot), which I hope to get one day

eternity - I'd love a 3tcw french cut eternity, approx 2.5-3mm wide for my size, I could also see a fun 5 stone with AVCs, maybe 0.3 each...

I wear very modest bracelets, if any

pendant - i will recut my original ering center, and expect to lose a significant amount of weight and land somewhere around 1.5 carats. otherwise, id probably get 0.8 - 1 carat stone for a soli pendant

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great thread, @AllAboardTheBlingTrain!

For me - 5ct for a solitaire, then I max out. But I'd want an F VS1 - so we're talking 200k here. I already have my ideal size in a 3 stone (5ctw), and in a fancy cut (4.07ct center).

20200916_144247.jpg

20200626_103845.jpg

Diamond studs leave me cold. I like halos or clusters, and I already have my dream iteration in those - 4+ctw and 15mm across. On my lobes, not huge at all.

20200712_112800.jpg

I prefer gold/plain necklaces. I've had multiple diamond pendants and have sold them all except one - which I love. It's 2.75ctw set in platinum.

20200712_112857.jpg

For bracelets - I prefer gold and/or color - or bangles. I like my 2 diamond bangles because they either work together, or as detail with my other bangles. It's enough for me. Although...it's *possible* I might get a third diamond bangle. The trio would equal over 15ctw, so that would be my limit.

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_8884.jpg

20200712_120717.jpg

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love jewelry but at the same time dislike other people noticing how much I love jewelry, so my aesthetic runs more minimalist than is common here!

For my fingers and ears, I definitely prefer diamonds under a carat. For real! I don't mind dressing them up with a lovely halo or an intricate setting, though. My first diamond studs and engagement diamond were around a third of a carat. But for a pendant, this is where I'm comfortable going bigger. I currently have a 1.25 carat pear in a halo, but honestly, I think that my sweet spot could be around 4 carats :)

For me - 5ct for a solitaire, then I max out. But I'd want an F VS1 - so we're talking 200k here. I already have my ideal size in a 3 stone (5ctw), and in a fancy cut (4.07ct center).

20200916_144247.jpg

20200626_103845.jpg

Diamond studs leave me cold. I like halos or clusters, and I already have my dream iteration in those - 4+ctw and 15mm across. On my lobes, not huge at all.

20200712_112800.jpg

I prefer gold/plain necklaces. I've had multiple diamond pendants and have sold them all except one - which I love. It's 2.75ctw set in platinum.

20200712_112857.jpg

For bracelets - I prefer gold and/or color - or bangles. I like my 2 diamond bangles because they either work together, or as detail with my other bangles. It's enough for me. Although...it's *possible* I might get a third diamond bangle. The trio would equal over 15ctw, so that would be my limit.

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_8884.jpg

20200712_120717.jpg

Your collection is just so perfect. I absolutely love everything - especially the bangles!

I love jewelry but at the same time dislike other people noticing how much I love jewelry, so my aesthetic runs more minimalist than is common here!

For my fingers and ears, I definitely prefer diamonds under a carat. For real! I don't mind dressing them up with a lovely halo or an intricate setting, though. My first diamond studs and engagement diamond were around a third of a carat. But for a pendant, this is where I'm comfortable going bigger. I currently have a 1.25 carat pear in a halo, but honestly, I think that my sweet spot could be around 4 carats :)

I think I get what you mean about disliking other people noticing - though it doesn’t stop me from wanting very big pieces, haha! Though honestly if i was lucky enough to get an enormous rock I don’t think I could wear it everyday like grocery shopping and gym. It would still be something I’d remove on public transport etc. I’m just a bit of a paranoid person.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I sold this heart pendant for a song when I needed the money in early 2019.

It is about 1in in size excluding the massive bail, and was sitting in a box as it too blingy and impractical to wear.

20201021_134126.jpg

I regret having to sell it to this day, however it was the right thing to do at the time.

I have since had a heart shaped pendant made, with less diamonds, about the same size, and have yet to wear it.

20200414_140738.jpg

I still long for the puff paved heart pendant that I have sold, and am planning to have one made in a smaller size about 15mm without the bail, that can be worn as slider pendant as well as from a bail. Hopefully it will get more wear that way.

DK :))

Hi @dk168 I saw this today and thought of you. I know it's not the same, but maybe a good placeholder.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I am a stay at home wife and mother so I can't say my range would be very big lol. Maybe 6 to 7mm for studs. 8mm for a ring. I recently did a side grade to an 8mm unmentionable with mined diamonds and find it to be plenty large. I couldn't go larger than that or I wouldn't be able to wear it every day. My daughter already wants to yank it right off my finger lol and she's only 2. Pendant is probably where I would want to go bigger. I like statement jewellery around my neck lol. So I would probably want at least 10mm so it can be seen better. But I could never get that so I just dream about it lol.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @dk168 I saw this today and thought of you. I know it's not the same, but maybe a good placeholder.

Thank you!

DK :))

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock

20200916_144247.jpg

20200626_103845.jpg

20200712_112800.jpg

20200712_112857.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_8884.jpg

20200712_120717.jpg

I can’t get enough of your collection :kiss2: But I am surprised to read that one of my jewelry style icons doesn’t do diamond studs! You’ve got me thinking about halo jackets for daily wear.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I love the tinfoil earrings :D haha. the size looks really nice on you actually, definitely everyday wearable. The haloed studs though definitely have much more presence and are perfect for your ears. Earrings just disappear on me - I have a friend with “normal” sized earlobes and she was ribbing me that I’m just being a brat, but she let me try on her 1ct each studs - that looked quite substantial on her ears - and on me they just looked tiny. Not invisible, but they looked more like 0.5ct each on my ear than 1ct each. My ears just swallow earrings. If I wore your pretty drop earrings they’d just look invisible.

these drop earrings though (your last pic) - those are gorgeous! What size are those? They look like they’d be a drop dead gorgeous stud size for you as well.

I also differ in my opinion based on shape of the stone (especially for rings). Though that ring next to Bubbalah is just gorgeous (not that Bubbalah is any less). I think I could make an exception to my 4-5ct thoughts for that stunner. <3

Here, here about stud sizes. My massive lobes swallow things whole. I love my benitoite studs but at 3.6mm they are smol for my ears. Figure I'll get jackets eventually.
I'd rock up to 15mm probably wouldn't look big on me. But I have a low weight tolerance so maybe not.

I tend to think in mms vs carats.

Rings no bigger than 13mm. I want coverage but not something knocking into my other fingers. Smallest solitaire maybe 1ct.

Eternity rings I actually prefer smaller. I can't stand closing my fingers and squishing a thick band. No more than 3mm wide and 2mm off the finger is my comfort max. Now a half hoop all bets are off. Carat each 5 or 7 stone, bring it.

Pendants I'm all over. I have daily drivers around 7mm to 1 inch but they are all shallow (opal) so it isn't just sitting on my collarbone. I'd happily test out double digit cts though.

Bracelets. I wear 2 daily so I wouldn't change them. One is a thin gold Cruzan hook and the other a substantial silver cuff. A tennis bracelet would be wasted in me.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
The smallest ring width I’m comfortable with is 2.5 mm, because I’m scared of it breaking. The largest stone for the ring would be about 5 carats. Any more than that and the ring spins annoyingly. The smallest studs I’d like to wear is 3mm, since smaller ones are hard to put in. The biggest studs for me would be 6.5 mm each.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a 3 ct ering daily, but for diamonds I don't think I want to go larger than that. My solitaire pendant is 0.59 and I am fine with that. I would also be willing to go smaller than that when I layer, even down to 0.1 carat for a pinpont of brightness.

Non-diamond, I am fine wearing ridiculously bulbous acrylic rings, so no size limit there.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
E-Ring
For me, smallest MRB e-ring I'd wear is 1 ct. Largest would be 3.5 ct. I have bony fingers, so anything over about 3.25 looks too large on me. Other cuts, like ECs, I can wear larger.

Studs
For MRB studs, smallest are .5 cts each (1 ctw). Largest are 2 cts each (4 ctw). On me, (not on other people) I find haloes on diamond stud earrings frumpy (it looks like I'm wearing grandma's doilies) so these weights are for just one diamond in each ear. Fancy cuts, antiques and dangle earrings I can do larger, but not smaller.

Pendants
Pendants are tricky. On their own, I can wear very large solitaire pendants. However, when paired with my other jewelry, I like pendants to be in between the size of one of my studs earrings and my e-ring. I particularly love a 3 ct emerald cut, east-west diamond pendant. While technically larger in carat weight than my e-ring, it actually looks slightly smaller and complements my set nicely.

Bracelets
Tennis bracelets. I've tried on a bunch and like the individual diamonds to be in the .3 ct range for each diamond. Under .2 ct per diamond is just too small on me. .4 cts each diamond and over is too large on me. I believe that puts my ideal size, for a 6 1/8" length bracelet, in the 9-ish total carat range.

I like oval bangles (round ones don't fit me) and the same carat size is true for them too. I like the .3 carat each diamond range. Over .4 too large, under .2 too small. (For MRB cuts, ECs I like larger!)

Last edited:
The smallest ring width I’m comfortable with is 2.5 mm, because I’m scared of it breaking. The largest stone for the ring would be about 5 carats. Any more than that and the ring spins annoyingly. The smallest studs I’d like to wear is 3mm, since smaller ones are hard to put in. The biggest studs for me would be 6.5 mm each.

I actually don’t get annoyed overmuch with rings spinning, but my personal size limits for at least MRB is very similar to yours. Agreed on the difficulty of navigating small studs though - my fingers aren’t nimble enough.

I wear a 3 ct ering daily, but for diamonds I don't think I want to go larger than that. My solitaire pendant is 0.59 and I am fine with that. I would also be willing to go smaller than that when I layer, even down to 0.1 carat for a pinpont of brightness.

Non-diamond, I am fine wearing ridiculously bulbous acrylic rings, so no size limit there.

The pinpoint of brightness can look so pretty and chic, especially when the rest of the outfit is rather casual (eg on a short chain, if that’s the only bling you have on your neck while on the beach or at a pool party or something).

E-Ring
For me, smallest MRB e-ring I'd wear is 1 ct. Largest would be 3.5 ct. I have bony fingers, so anything over about 3.25 looks too large on me. Other cuts, like ECs, I can wear larger.

Studs
For MRB studs, smallest are .5 cts each (1 ctw). Largest are 2 cts each (4 ctw). On me, (not on other people) I find haloes on diamond stud earrings frumpy (it looks like I'm wearing grandma's doilies) so these weights are for just one diamond in each ear. Fancy cuts, antiques and dangle earrings I can do larger, but not smaller.

Pendants
Pendants are tricky. On their own, I can wear very large solitaire pendants. However, when paired with my other jewelry, I like pendants to be in between the size of one of my studs earrings and my e-ring. I particularly love a 3 ct emerald cut, east-west diamond pendant. While technically larger in carat weight than my e-ring, it actually looks slightly smaller and complements my set nicely.

Bracelets
Tennis bracelets. I've tried on a bunch and like the individual diamonds to be in the .3 ct range for each diamond. Under .2 ct per diamond is just too small on me. .4 cts each diamond and over is too large on me. I believe that puts my ideal size, for a 6 1/8" length bracelet, in the 9-ish total carat range.

I like oval bangles (round ones don't fit me) and the same carat size is true for them too. I like the .3 carat each diamond range. Over .4 too large, under .2 too small. (For MRB cuts, ECs I like larger!)

Total hear you on oval bangles! I wear round ones but I think I prefer the shape of the ovals. I also like how you think about tennis bracelets, though I think I personally could go bigger. A 3ct EW pendant sounds utterly spectacular.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results