shape
carat
color
clarity

What are the chances this sapphire is natural?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I found this 18k diamonds/sapphire ring, I have not purchased yet. Please tell me your opinion on this ring. I assume the sapphire is heated, but could it be treated with anything else? Says natural; is that lab reliable? It's listed for under $1200...is that good?

s-l400 (1).jpg s-l400.jpg
s-l400 (2).jpg

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Gemstone routinely enhanced by various methods:roll: So may be heavily treated with everything else. I don't like this lab report. Color "Fine" and clarity "Good" - not a good report.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The “lab report / appraisal” is rubbish.
Sapphires are not “type 2 gems” (Emeralds and Alexandrite are and it basically means that inclusions are to be expected due to how the crystals form) so I’d presume that means it’s got eye visible inclusions.
A blue sapphire colour is not graded as “fine”. It is graded accordingly to the colour tone and hue ie Cornflower, Royal, Velvet, Pastel etc.
What you want is a lab report that tells you what, if any, enhancements a gem has had. Their statement that gems are routinely enhanced is a BIG red flag in my book.
A natural sapphire can be heated, low heat. This is acceptable.
What is NOT acceptable in natural sapphires is them being treated with glass flux to fill up any cavities or cracks and/or being exposed to high heat and beryllium to improve the colour.
Identifying these treatments matters because highly treated gems are not stable and are basically valueless.
You would be better off buying an honest lab created sapphire than buying a “natural” sapphire that has been altered to look better.
AND I doubt believe the sapphire weighs 1.75 carats. They have just estimated in the setting.
If the sapphire is genuinely heat only, then $1,200 isn’t a bad price but if the sapphire is flux filled and/ or beryllium treated, it way too much.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The seller tells me it's only been heat treated and the sapphire is 7.75mm

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The seller tells me it's only been heat treated and the sapphire is 7.75mm

Yes, but if its been treated with Be, the seller would have no idea - unless it had been sent to a lab with proper equipment to test.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * Sapphires are not “type 2 gems” (Emeralds and Alexandrite are and it basically means that inclusions are to be expected due to how the crystals form) so I’d presume that means it’s got eye visible inclusions.* * *
I agree that lab-appraisal report is not meaningful. But sapphires do indeed fall within GIA's colored gemstones Type II (sometimes denominated as Type 2) clarity category as per the table they established and publicized maybe more than 20 years ago, e.g.,

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My bad... I was mistaking my type ll with type lll.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results