shape
carat
color
clarity

What are some of your pet peeves?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Delster, we have the same situation with lanes appearing, disappearing, and magically reappearing here. It''s ridiculous. I''m pretty sure the folks who design the paths are sober but the people who actually build them are quite drunk.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 1:00:16 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 5/24/2010 9:52:10 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy

I am somewhat misanthropic and it is Monday, so bare with me.
I do hate it when people use the wrong word like bear with me rather than bare with me. I try to be tolerant since despite my best efforts, I still get effect and affect wrong sometimes, but the basics, its, site, there and to in their variations are pretty easy.

I have always used '' bear with me'', I am also a bit of a stickler for these things
9.gif
so went to look it up straight away to check, apparently bear with me is the correct spelling.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Would_you_say_bare_with_us_or_bear_with_us

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/born
Yes, it is " bear with me". You are asking someone to endure with you. I just assumed the people who were saying bare were kidding. Except Kenny who obviously was kidding.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
House guests who leave a mess.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Merging in traffic. As my friend, Renee says; "it''s like a freakin'' zipper people - every other car!"

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 1:33:03 PM
Author: CasaBlanca
I appreciate those who in traffic understand that inching a foot or so up or over in their lane may allow others to past or turn in or clear their path to continue. Just an inch or so sometimes. So when I see someone at a red light 2 or more cars lengths back from the car in front of them, oblivious to the length of cars they are holding up behind them, WELL it irks me BEYOND MENTAL CAPACITY.

Ditto this. If you are turning left, pull ahead into the intersection so the cars behind you that are not turning can get around you. I'm amazed at how few people know this little traffic courtesy.

a few more idiom pet peeves:
It's stock in trade or stock-in-trade, not stock and trade
It's for all intents and purposes or to all intents and purposes, not for all intense -- or intensive -- purposes.
It's champing at the bit not chomping at the bit.
It's part and parcel, not part in parcel.

Okay, I'm done now. Thanks for the chance to rant.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have some very picky PSers.
3.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2010 3:32:12 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Merging in traffic. As my friend, Renee says; 'it's like a freakin' zipper people - every other car!'

True Dat.

but...

Sometimes people merging into traffic do not get up to speed, expecting existing traffic to slow down to accommodate them.
Safety and courtesy here dictates they speed up and confidently take their turn to merge with traffic.
If they are timid wimps they are the problem.

In California it is the law that the incoming car must match the speed of traffic.

When they do that I agree to take turns like a zipper.
When they are too slow, expecting traffic to slow down, they miss their turn AFAIC.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 3:47:33 PM
Author: sarap333

I appreciate those who in traffic understand that inching a foot or so up or over in their lane may allow others to past or turn in or clear their path to continue. Just an inch or so sometimes. So when I see someone at a red light 2 or more cars lengths back from the car in front of them, oblivious to the length of cars they are holding up behind them, WELL it irks me BEYOND MENTAL CAPACITY.

Ditto this. If you are turning left, pull ahead into the intersection so the cars behind you that are not turning can get around you. I''m amazed at how few people know this little traffic courtesy.
I completely understand and agree with the point of not leaving ridiculously huge spaces, etc, in traffic, but I can not agree with the highlighted part. I don''t ever sit in the intersection! I don''t feel that it''s safe. And I''m not going to risk my safety in order for the person behind me to get to their destination 30 seconds sooner, KWIM?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The small ones:
Litterbugs: They throw their candy wrappers, used tissues, etc. on the ground while they''re standing one foot away from a trash can. What makes them think that this planet is their personal waste basket?

People who have little to no personal hygiene. Did nobody ever show them how to use a toothbursh, toothpaste or soap? (I once overheard a woman in a store say that she hadn''t taken a shower that day. Of course she took a stack of clothes into the dressing room to try them on.)
20.gif

The big ones:
Cruelty to animals
Deliberate meanness to another person for no reason

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
-I work with about 250 people, would it kill them to make eye contact and say good morning even if they don''t really "know" me?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2010 3:57:22 PM
Author: lilyfoot

Ditto this. If you are turning left, pull ahead into the intersection so the cars behind you that are not turning can get around you. I''m amazed at how few people know this little traffic courtesy.
I completely understand and agree with the point of not leaving ridiculously huge spaces, etc, in traffic, but I can not agree with the highlighted part. I don''t ever sit in the intersection! I don''t feel that it''s safe. And I''m not going to risk my safety in order for the person behind me to get to their destination 30 seconds sooner, KWIM?
While waiting in the intersection to turn left is a common practice here, I believe that it is technically breaking the law -- at least that is what was taught in the class I took 8 years ago.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 12:54:34 PM
Author: TooPatient
Date: 5/25/2010 3:57:22 PM

While waiting in the intersection to turn left is a common practice here, I believe that it is technically breaking the law -- at least that is what was taught in the class I took 8 years ago.

The law does vary from state to state. I''m not talking about pulling so far into the intersection so that you''re blocking traffic from the other direction, just pulling enough forward so that the cars can get around you. It''s often a few inches at most. For more info:

link

and
Waiting To Turn Left In An Intersection

In some states it is legal to enter an intersection in order to make a left turn and then wait in the intersection until there is a gap in the traffic in the opposite direction, or the traffic lights change to red and stop the traffic in the opposite direction, subject to the following two conditions:
If there is a traffic light then it must be green (either a green circle or a green arrow). If there is a separate signal for left turns then that signal applies. You must never enter an intersection for any reason on a red light.
The road into which you are turning must be clear. You must not enter an intersection for any reason if the traffic in the road you are entering is backed up to the intersection.
This rule seems to vary from state to state. For example, the Oct-98 printed edition of the Illinois Driver''s Manual "Rules Of The Road" says: "If you enter an intersection when the light is green, you may finish your turn even though the light turns red" (Chapter Three: Traffic Laws - Right-Of-Way).
On the other hand the California Driver Handbook 2002 (external link verified Jul-02) says: "Do not enter an intersection, even when the light is green, unless you can get completely across before the light turns red. If you block the intersection, you can be cited." (Laws And Rules Of The Road - Traffic Control At Intersections; checked Jul-02).link2

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
The stickers that they put on the produce at the market. (especially the tomatoes)
All of the Real Housewives shows.
The lame a** NY state government. Pass a freaking budget already!
29.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People who only call when they want something.

People who can''t be bothered to hold a door they already have open for someone with their hands full.

People who cut in front of you on the road while looking the other direction and then smile and wave.

People who wear clothing inappropriate for the location/time/event/ etc. (ie: mini skirt that shows your thong if you so much as shift your weight worn to a religious gathering with LOTS of stairs -- especially when said thong is bright blue and right in front of my face...)

Men who talk to me like a 2 year old because I''m a woman so obviously don''t know anything about technology.

Women who spread out their makeup, hair products, tooth paste, and handbag across the entire counter in the restroom and glare when I attempt to wash my hands.

People who let their kids run around with no supervision.

People who watch as their kids run around in a public location when other people are trying to do stuff -- especially when it could easily lead to someone being injured.

People who let their kids hang their heads out the car windows -- especially smart on the 70mph freeway...

People who make comments like "well, some of us have kids and don''t have time to play" and more than imply that since we don''t have kids we don''t have any real responsibility

People who "borrow" something and never return it.

People who take up a "high risk" hobby and don''t bother to take basic safety courses and learn how to minimize the risk.

People who call a meeting and then cancel it 15 minutes after it should have started -- when everyone else is sitting in the conference room waiting for them.

Drivers who can''t figure out the a speed limit of 60 doesn''t mean 80 and doesn''t mean 45

Security offices who suggest that you not carry a purse... or a backpack, laptop, or cell phone and that you don''t leave any of them or CDs, radios, anything with your name or address, or anything that looks like it could be expensive or be covering something expensive in your car. Oh -- and don''t go into a restroom, parking lot, or hallway alone. Take a bus if you can -- parts are being taken off of cars in the parking lots, tires are getting slashed, and women are being attacked.
SO -- WHAT DOES THAT LEAVE ME??? You want me to carry just enough change to get on the bus (wearing no jewelry) with no purse or bag to carry the books REQUIRED for my classes and hope there is someone else who has to urinate when I do because if I get attacked in the hallway or bathroom I''ve got no phone to use to call for help???

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 1:11:07 PM
Author: iluvcarats
The stickers that they put on the produce at the market. (especially the tomatoes)
All of the Real Housewives shows.
The lame a** NY state government. Pass a freaking budget already!
29.gif
Argh! I absolutely CRINGE every time I peel off one of those stickers and the tomato skin comes off with it! It''s like nails on a chalkboard to me!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People who take a retainer for services and then don''t call back.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
TP, you''re on a roll!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have a question OT... how do you highlight?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 2:13:20 PM
Author: dragonfly411
When you reply, there are buttons along the top of the window you type in.
Click in the quoted text (or your own text) and select what you want highlighted and then click the button for highlighting. (top row next to "font" and "size" -- it is the little pen looking thing with "AB" highlighted yellow)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People who drop serving utensils on the floor at a large event and then put them back on the table for other people to keep using. (this was a 20-something and I think she thought no one was looking)

Baristas who don''t clean the steam wand between uses.

Baristas who re-steam milk that has been sitting too long (this affects quality and can make people sick).

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 2:18:25 PM

Click in the quoted text (or your own text) and select what you want highlighted and then click the button for highlighting. (top row next to 'font' and 'size' -- it is the little pen looking thing with 'AB' highlighted yellow)
Unless you have a mac? Then you have to use HTML. Anyone know the code? I'd like to able to highlight.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2010 2:25:40 PM
People who drop serving utensils on the floor at a large event and then put them back on the table for other people to keep using. (this was a 20-something and I think she thought no one was looking)

Baristas who re-steam milk that has been sitting too long (this affects quality and can make people sick).
Dude, where are you getting your coffee?! lol, I used to work at Starbucks, and all of the above are huge no-no''s!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 2:35:40 PM

Date: 5/26/2010 2:25:40 PM

Dude, where are you getting your coffee?! lol, I used to work at Starbucks, and all of the above are huge no-no''s!
I worked at Starbucks for 9 months. I saw a lot of this while I worked there (mostly just a couple of people -- but friends of the manager). I still see this at Starbucks when I go in (which is very rarely). It seems to vary by store -- some keep to the standards and others don''t.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 2:31:47 PM
Author: Porridge

Date: 5/26/2010 2:18:25 PM

Click in the quoted text (or your own text) and select what you want highlighted and then click the button for highlighting. (top row next to 'font' and 'size' -- it is the little pen looking thing with 'AB' highlighted yellow)
Unless you have a mac? Then you have to use HTML. Anyone know the code? I'd like to able to highlight.

The due date is style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow">next

Hopefully there was a highlight above. I think I found the code (I'm rusty
38.gif
).

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
yeeeah I don''t have any of that haha

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
TP, you''re all fired up today hun!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 2:10:52 PM
TP, you''re on a roll!

Hahaha.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2010 3:16:22 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
TP, you''re all fired up today hun!
I''ve been on hold with the home office for about an hour now...

Lots of time to reflect
40.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results