shape
carat
color
clarity

What are some of the best sites to buy just settings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know about Lord of Gem Rings, but who else has a great selection of settings? Any particular ebay sellers? Or jewelry websites?

If there has already been a thread like this, please let me know-- I searched and didn't see anything.

ETA: A lot of settings seem to be pre-sized, dimensions like 5x5mm, 7x7mm. If I have a 9.1x9.1mm stone, will it fit in a 9x9mm setting? Or will I definitely need to have it custom made?

LG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What kind of setting do you want. What sized and shaped stone and how much do you want to spend?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t purchased from them yet so I can''t comment on quality but I like looking at the filigree mountings at Janeliunas Jewelry.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/24/2009 7:22:40 PM
Author: Gypsy
What kind of setting do you want. What sized and shaped stone and how much do you want to spend?

- Not sure what kind of setting yet, that''s why I started this thread-- would like to browse around. Not yellow gold though.

-9.1 x 9.1mm cushion stone

-Don''t want to spend more than $800ish. Would go to $1000 if I fell in love though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
look through adwar, then call BGD or your local jeweler for a qoute on the styles you like.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to look at these casting sites: Stuller.com or adwar.com and Uniquesettings.com all of these you''ll have to get a jeweler to order for you though, but they have such great design even if you are just looking for inspriation. Also http://www.pickyourjewelry.com/rings.htm

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks for everyone''s replies so far. Could someone answer my question about putting a 9.1mm stone in a 9mm setting? Bad idea?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 8:54:40 PM
Author: LamborghiniGirl
Thanks for everyone''s replies so far. Could someone answer my question about putting a 9.1mm stone in a 9mm setting? Bad idea?
Hi LamborghiniGirl - generally speaking, a 9.1mm should fit in a 9mm setting without having to customize, and a prong setting will take a larger range of sizes than a bezel setting. It might also depend on how low you want the stone to sit.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It should fit.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/24/2009 9:37:00 PM
Author: cellentani

Hi LamborghiniGirl - generally speaking, a 9.1mm should fit in a 9mm setting without having to customize, and a prong setting will take a larger range of sizes than a bezel setting. It might also depend on how low you want the stone to sit.

So I understand, would a 9.1mm stone sit higher in a 9mm setting than a 8.9mm stone would sit in a 9mm setting?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/24/2009 7:19:01 PM
Author: If I have a 9.1x9.1mm stone, will it fit in a 9x9mm setting? Or will I definitely need to have it custom made ?

Unless the stone is a very symmetrical shape like a round or a square, I''d be a bit careful about this. The reason is that cushions come with a wide variety of edge flatness, meaning that some are more of a cushion and some are more square. This, in addition to the corners being rounded or pointed, makes the corner to corner distance pretty variable. If it''s a bezel setting made for a rounded corner stone, a pointed corner stone won''t fit, even if it''s right on 9x9. Likewise a setting designed for a pointed corner stone will have gaps at the corners with a rounded stone. It all depends on the stone and how much flexibility is built into the setting. Another thing to keep in mind with rounded corner cushions is that they require a double prong or bezel setting to keep them from twisting in the setting and potentially falling out, (a single prong at the corner won''t work for long).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe knoxjewelers.biz sells empty settings, but they are pricier. Very nice though.

If it's the pink cushion I think you're getting, then you can get a 9x9 cushion LOGR that will fit it fine. If it has to be custom made, it's not a great deal of $$$ to customize LOGR's in comparison to other vendors that make settings. Just email him for a quote based on any cushion setting you're interested in.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 7:24:05 PM
Author: Kismet
I haven''t purchased from them yet so I can''t comment on quality but I like looking at the filigree mountings at Janeliunas Jewelry.

Wow they have really pretty mountings!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would also look at etsy, if you aren''t set on diamonds in your setting. Many of the jewelers on their are really affordable, talented and wellpriced.

Sally at Heart of Water
Julia at JuliaKayTaylor
Maggie at One Garnet Girl are a few people have used with great results.

I''m workiing with Julia on a project now, and am plotting out another one for the future. I would use Sally in a heartbeat as well. Maggie''s stuff is cool, but her style of rings look terrible on my hands when I''ve tried on similar stuff in stores.

Which brings me to my next point. Make sure you try on stuff that''s vaguely similar to what you are getting and see it on your hand. It makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results