shape
carat
color
clarity

What are prongs that are not claw or bead/ball prongs?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
00E35191-CDF3-42A8-9AD6-A6B400C6884A.jpeg 4A42947E-AECC-4249-B4DC-8A127D51D917.jpeg I like these, don’t know what they’re called.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with ‘blob’, ‘dot’ or ‘normal/standard’ style prongs.

@PrismBaby Tabs are usually a little wider/more rectangular shaped, I believe. I typically see them on emeralds and asschers.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair I think I might describe the ones in your second picture as “flat-outer edged standard/blob style”, maybe? The outside surface of each prong looks slightly squared/flattened to me.

PrismBaby

Rough_Rock
Trade
@the_mother_thing

I see what you mean. I had this in mind but I see that the prongs on the original rings posted are not as squared off, maybe one or two of them are.
upload_2019-6-13_14-0-10.png

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normal prongs? As in, most average benches would probably set stones like that if not directed otherwise?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - best to provide pics of exactly what you want, and point out the details if needed.

Here is what I think of when I hear/read ‘tab’ prongs, but maybe these are called something else. :confused:
0058973D-3060-4D78-9F9E-2D93F8DEC50F.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normal prongs? As in, most average benches would probably set stones like that if not directed otherwise?

+1...they're not to squared off, not to blobby, not to pointy...I would just think of these as default prongs

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those are petite tab prongs. Specifically, that's how Tiffany sets their 6 prong setting, and most of the quality replicas use the same style prongs.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would call them small rounded tab style prongs.

Prong styles are on a spectrum. They don't always fit into neat categories. They can be hybrids of one or more styles.

When ordering take @CareBear 's advice and provide a picture to your jeweler.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are petite tab prongs. Specifically, that's how Tiffany sets their 6 prong setting, and most of the quality replicas use the same style prongs.

Oh! Thanks! I am definitely going for a Tiffany-esque look.

I would call them small rounded tab style prongs.

Prong styles are on a spectrum. They don't always fit into neat categories. They can be hybrids of one or more styles.

When ordering take @CareBear 's advice and provide a picture to your jeweler.

Yes - pics are worth 1000 words eh!

However I find that I am second-guessing myself and may just go for claw prongs. At least I can picture what it would look like!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
prong1.jpg prong2.jpg

What do we think of this? I like it. But claw prongs feel safer... but I feel like they're too delicate for this setting.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like those would be just as safe as claw prongs - claws might be longer but they're also thinner. You've got good coverage of prongs round the perimeter

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results