shape
carat
color
clarity

What are "french cut" diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve tried to search but can''t really find anything. Generally I see them associated with antique rings but I can''t figure out exactly what the term means.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
dee jay, I wonder if french cut is the same thing has single cut? where single cut stones only have 17 facets and are often used in antique jewelry.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The French cut was an antique cut used for square and rectangular stones. Used as side stones,similar to melee.The crown of the diamond has 9 facets with a square table and 4 pavilon ''mains'' as triangles extending from the 4 sided faceted girdle to the tip of the “cutlet”

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I see french-cutting mostly in sapphires in antique pieces. My understanding is that is is a fairly simple squarish cut. Here is an example I found: http://www.luxuryeye.co.uk/product/101235/1920''s_french-cut_sapphire_and_diamond_''bow''_brooch.aspx#

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the pic from that site:

psfrenchcut.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe, well my guess was waaaaay off
19.gif

yay for josh and facet for the definition and the pictures
36.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all very much! I kept coming across the term and didn''t have a good idea of what it meant.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
No prob...I''m a sucker for french cut sapphires :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2006 9:53:29 AM
Author:Dee*Jay
I''ve tried to search but can''t really find anything. Generally I see them associated with antique rings but I can''t figure out exactly what the term means.
diagem posted this french cut diamond...

I was doing a search on oval settings and I saw your post about getting an oval or a cushion and I chuckled to myself because of this weird stone I have... anyway, saw this and thought you should see this pic if you haven''t already ;-)

FrenchDGs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results