shape
carat
color
clarity

What are all the different types of prongs and pros/cons...

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
...specifically on eternity bands?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: What are all the different types of prongs and pros/cons

Cast prongs
CAD
Machined
Die struck
Assembled
fabricated
Fishtail
Bead set
Pave
Cast in place

In addition, you've got:
Channel set
Flush set
Baker set
Gypsy set
Tension set
Invisible set
Illusion set
Back set

All of the above have permutations and a ring can have several of these in combination. There are, no doubt, may more that I didn’t think of right off the bat. You need to narrow down your question a bit. There could literally be a book to answer what you’ve asked and still not get everything.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock

denverappraiser|1304549799|2912423 said:
Cast prongs
CAD
Machined
Die struck
Assembled
fabricated
Fishtail
Bead set
Pave
Cast in place

In addition, you've got:
Channel set
Flush set
Baker set
Gypsy set
Tension set
Invisible set
Illusion set
Back set

All of the above have permutations and a ring can have several of these in combination. There are, no doubt, may more that I didn’t think of right off the bat. You need to narrow down your question a bit. There could literally be a book to answer what you’ve asked and still not get everything.

Fair. I like the U prong, but don't know much about it. It's very pretty from the side view, but I'm used to channel bands, so is the U prong much more delicate? Are there instances of the stones falling out? If I wanted something a bit sturdier, what kind of eternity band should I be looking at?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The quality of workmanship, craftmanship, counts a great deal in all of this, but making the asssumption that the jeweler dioes a very good job, you will never rarely a problem with a channel set eternity ring. It will be the devil to alter the size, but the diamonds will be secure and the ring will be very smooth on your finger and on rings next to it. Nearly any prong set ring, U or bar set ring will have roughness somewhere and the possibility of the edges of the diamond's girdles rubbing or chipping on some other nearby stone or ring.
In their favor, many of these can be re-sized with less of a problem.

The very best way to get such a ring is to try it on before the diamonds are set. If there is any problem, that is the very best time to make a slight alteration. After the diamonds are set, the alteration of size in an eternity ring can create problems that easily could have been avoided. Spending the postage to try it on before setting, or going into the store to try it on before the diamonds are put in, is a very good way to understand how well it will fit or to correct it before it is late in the game.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results