shape
carat
color
clarity

What am I???

missmarie253

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 26, 2009
Messages
21
My new mom found me at the thrift store today for $10. I'm set in 14k gold and measure about 16mm by 14mm. I'm BIG! Possibly a lemon topaz?

What do you think?

TIA
Not sure of the rules on img size. Hope the upload works.

lemon topaz r.jpg

lemon topaz.jpg
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,824
Wow, that is a fantastic find!! :love: :love: I need to start hanging in thrift stores. It could be a chrysoberyl too.

Anyway, its magnificent!
 

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
5,717
Maybe quartz.
 

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
9,613
It's near impossible to tell based on a photo but if I was asked to guess I'd say a citrine. I'd put serious money on it not being a chrysoberyl.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
25,224
IndyLady|1305013760|2917141 said:
Maybe quartz.

Yeah, a very light lemon citrine. That's my guess.
 

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
1,770
I think the setting is worth more then $10 so I am going with "a good buy".
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
27,342
herekittykitty|1305031120|2917238 said:
I think the setting is worth more then $10 so I am going with "a good buy".

Absolutely! What a deal!
 

missmarie253

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 26, 2009
Messages
21
Thank you so much for the replies. I'm an antique dealer and collect antique jewelry. Thrift stores, auctions, and estate sales are where I end up accumulating the bulk of my collection. Some of my most collectible pieces have come from thrifts, though the 'good stuff' is becoming increasingly difficult to find.

The stone is a canary yellow. Almost a champagne but more yellow. The photo makes it look a little more orange than it really is. I'm not a rock hound, so the slight color variations among minerals are probably more apparent to you than me lol.

A little lighter than this.

http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/chrysoberyl/chrysoberyl-info.php
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
25,224
missmarie253|1305047957|2917485 said:
Thank you so much for the replies. I'm an antique dealer and collect antique jewelry. Thrift stores, auctions, and estate sales are where I end up accumulating the bulk of my collection. Some of my most collectible pieces have come from thrifts, though the 'good stuff' is becoming increasingly difficult to find.

The stone is a canary yellow. Almost a champagne but more yellow. The photo makes it look a little more orange than it really is. I'm not a rock hound, so the slight color variations among minerals are probably more apparent to you than me lol.

A little lighter than this.

http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/chrysoberyl/chrysoberyl-info.php

I think the bulk of the value of the ring is in the metal. It's probably a very light lemon quartz (citrine) or some glass (especially if it has lots of chips along the facet edges). It's RI and waxy luster are not like that of a chrysoberyl, and chrysoberyls are rarely are ever that large. Enjoy it for what it is, you got a great buy!! :bigsmile:
 

missmarie253

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 26, 2009
Messages
21
Except this doesn't have a single chip and feels cold to the cheek unlike glass :twirl:
 

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 19, 2010
Messages
1,278
herekittykitty|1305031120|2917238 said:
I think the setting is worth more then $10 so I am going with "a good buy".

lol. Ditto.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
25,224
missmarie253|1305048771|2917498 said:
Except this doesn't have a single chip and feels cold to the cheek unlike glass :twirl:

It could be a synthetic stone too, which is sometimes harder than quartz or glass, but I doubt it, unless it's just really dirty, because the luster is kind of waxy looking.
 

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
7,768
I vote light yellow citrine, if not glass. Whatever it is, really pretty! Love the setting, great find.

--- Laurie
 

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 1, 2003
Messages
5,623
Maybe a citrine.
 

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
10,261
I would say it's a lemon quartz. I'd bet good money (like Pandora) that this isn't a Chrysoberyl. I'd also rule out Citrine because it just looks too much like the lemon quartz sold on TV jewellery channels.

A great find for the money and a brilliant cocktail ring.
 

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
9,613
LovingDiamonds|1305061074|2917709 said:
I would say it's a lemon quartz. I'd bet good money (like Pandora) that this isn't a Chrysoberyl. I'd also rule out Citrine because it just looks too much like the lemon quartz sold on TV jewellery channels.

A great find for the money and a brilliant cocktail ring.

LD, where would you move from yellow quartz to citrine? I've always called all purple quartz 'amethyst' (including Rose de France) and all shades of yellow and orange 'citrine'...

Is it like the 'where does tsav start and green grossular garnet end' thing or are there actual parameters?
 

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 3, 2009
Messages
7,589
I have a pendant with a stone of a very similar color. Had it tested (hoped for a topaz). It appeared to be a lemon citrine. Good thing is, it is not heated (dates back to the 40-es) and the pendant has tiny diamonds and demantoids at the bail! Despite the cut, it looks pretty impressive, but the background you chose for a photo may not show it. Try taking a photo on the back of your hand.
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top