shape
carat
color
clarity

What am I missing here with this BlueNile Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinnho

Rough_Rock
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-2-carat-ideal-cut-j-color-vvs2-clarity_LD01024662?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Ideal Cut- GIA Cert.
2.1 ct
VVS2
J Color
$13,700

What am I missing here as everything looks good besides the color J? I''m in the process of selecting a diamond for my fiance, and I have my eyes set on Infinity Diamonds so far. Any help would be great.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
It would be nice to see an IS pic of that one, however BN does not offer them. If you have a qualified independent appraiser nearby (confirm s/he has an IS and knows how to use it!) and don''t mind paying shipping and appraisal costs, you could have it sent to you to take to the appraiser to help you evaluate.
Are you looking at a specific Infinity diamond?

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
one thing to point out is GIA does not have an "Ideal" rate for their cut, their highest is "Excellent"..

in this case the word "Ideal" is simply what the vendor calls it, and may or may not mean anything when referenced against lab cutting gradings..

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 12:41:35 AM
Author: blastdoor
one thing to point out is GIA does not have an 'Ideal' rate for their cut, their highest is 'Excellent'..

in this case the word 'Ideal' is simply what the vendor calls it, and may or may not mean anything when referenced against lab cutting gradings..
Ditto Blast.

And ditto L, this one is a contender for an Idealscope image but regrettably BN don't provide them. I take it you prefer VVS clarity? Just to let you know you could drop to VS without visual sacrifice but this is a personal choice.

kevinnho

Rough_Rock
http://highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=567

This is what I am looking at for comparison to bluenile''s diamond.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My "guess" is, it''s the cut, or lack of, that is bringing the price down.

phildominator

Rough_Rock
Seems like the main differences are the "Blue Nile Ideal Cut" - CERTAINLY NOT TO BE CONFUSED with AGS Idea - vs. Infinity H&A.

-- I''ve never seen a Blue Nile Ideal Cut and how it''s H&A/optical symmetry is. It could be just slightly off-symmetrical or it could be way off symmetrical...Unfortunately, BN doesn''t provide the images...You''d have to either consult someone here who does have a BN Ideal, pay for BN to send it to an appraiser with IS or just figure that BN Ideal is close enough since we don''t walk around with IS contacts...haha.

For some people, getting a true H&A means the world. For others, getting something where hearts are discernable and arrows are discernable is good enough.

On the flip side, the step up to Infinity H&A you lose 0.2 carats.l

phildominator

Rough_Rock
Also forgot to mention...

With the information that BN provides, you run a higher risk of getting a diamond with more light leakage/lesser performance than you expect. Maybe BN has the ring in-house, maybe they don't.

With the Infinity, you see the IS images and I believe you can call them and flat out ask, "how does this baby perform compared to the rest?"

-----

I'd go to a BM and ask to see a 1.8 carat and 2.0 carat diamond...See if you can tell the difference.

Statistically, 0.2 may seem like a lot, but you may be surprised by the difference in visual reality. Seeing the difference live could sell you that 0.2 difference or tell you that it's really not that much of a visual difference.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's another one you might consider. I know the IS looks slightly lighter in the middle, but I don't know that that would be discernable with the naked eye. Jon could tell you. (and would be honest)

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/5550/

Bankwire is discount.

kevinnho

Rough_Rock
Basically, with Infinity diamonds- you get what you pay for, given the image of IS and detailed information. Bluenile''s diamond, you might not get what you anticipate?

Don''t get me wrong, I''ve talk to Wink about his Infinity Diamonds, and he''s a great guy with great information.

Still exploring my options out there. That''s all.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 11:29:20 AM
Author: kevinnho
Basically, with Infinity diamonds- you get what you pay for, given the image of IS and detailed information. Bluenile''s diamond, you might not get what you anticipate? Really without images it is difficult to know exactly what you are getting, with this BN diamond an Idealscope would definitely be useful to check for light leakage, it could be a nice diamond but hard to tell for sure without images.

Don''t get me wrong, I''ve talk to Wink about his Infinity Diamonds, and he''s a great guy with great information.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 12:13:49 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 2/24/2009 11:29:20 AM
Basically, with Infinity diamonds- you get what you pay for, given the image of IS and detailed information. Bluenile''s diamond, you might not get what you anticipate? Really without images it is difficult to know exactly what you are getting, with this BN diamond an Idealscope would definitely be useful to check for light leakage, it could be a nice diamond but hard to tell for sure without images.

Ditto.

BN does have a great return policy, if you wanted to bring it home for a look with an appraisor. If you don''t want to mess with the (possible) hassle of returning, plus expense, go with a stone that has pics.

kevinnho

Rough_Rock
http://highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=567

I''m not too familiar with Ideal Scope image. What do you think of this one?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 12:19:45 PM

I'm not too familiar with Ideal Scope image. What do you think of this one?
It's a very well cut stone.
28.gif
(ask if eyeclean)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 12:23:25 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/24/2009 12:19:45 PM

I''m not too familiar with Ideal Scope image. What do you think of this one?
It''s a very well cut stone.
28.gif
(ask if eyeclean)
Ditto

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results