shape
carat
color
clarity

What about this diamond--good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dinah

Rough_Rock
OK--we found another stone which seems good, since we passed on a questionable one:
2.17 round S12 H
8.51-8.45-5.01
d 59.1%
t 57%
crown 13.8%
p 42.5%
fluor-none
polish vg
sym good
Egl usa cert--I am dealing with a very reputable online dealer who has been very forthcoming about all of the stones I have inquired about thus far, but I am waiting for the stone to be louped. All of this for 8k. Is this a good deal if the stone is eyeclean?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Is this a good deal if the stone is eyeclean?
-----------

No, it's not a good deal. If the grading's correct, it's an excellent deal.

Be sure and have it checked out for a second opinion on the grading. A routine request, which most suppliers are agreeable to.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The cut is very nice
love.gif
--it should be an AGS1-- and if the stone is correctly graded, well, it's a FANTASTIC deal
9.gif
!
Even if the seller says that the stone is eye clean, definitely have the stone checked by a gemologist who will verify EGL grades...
Let us know what happens and good luck!

Giangi
1.gif

dinah

Rough_Rock
Thanks--it seems like a very good deal, I will find out whether it is eyeclean today when it is louped.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Perfect! Let us know!
1.gif

dinah

Rough_Rock
Bad news about the stone, while it is eyeclean--it is not a true H--it has a brownish hue (whatever that means)--so the search continues.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Yikes!!!!!! So sorry for you! At least the seller is honest! Commonly all colors lower that F have a very faint(like in a 'G') to light yellow hue(like in a 'P')... Sometimes you can find a brownish or greyish hue instead of a yellowish one... Hues different from yellow are less expensive (unless a stone is faint blue or pink
9.gif
)An H color with faint brown color is less expensive than a stone with the same characteristics and color, but with yellowish hue.
Hope that helps a bit...
Good luck and hopefully you'll find a better stone very soon
1.gif

I did a little research on the internet and I found a few nice stones --I hope you don't mind me doing that--

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=1569558
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=1515582
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=1285196
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=1399932
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=11-BD019

(one of them is F color - I 1 but is GIA graded and H&A... It's quite clean and has a nice face up, at least in the picture -- it's an interesting stone in my opinion)
Note: all EGL certs must be verified

Let us know if you find any interesting diamond in this little list or somewhere else...

Giangi

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I made a mistake!!!!!
naughty.gif
9.gif
sick.gif

Giangi

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/21/2003 2:56
6.gif
5 PM Giangi wrote:
Sorry, I made a mistake!!!!!
naughty.gif
9.gif
sick.gif

Giangi----------------
Giangi: Anyone can make a mistake, surely. However, perhaps you are unaware that you can actually go back and correct that mistake by choosing the "edit post" option and removing the "solicitational" portions of your post.

Just a suggestion.....

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Actually I pressed the submit button twice...

dinah

Rough_Rock
Thanks all--it seems like we will have to expand our budget (FI is against this) or we will have to look for a smaller stone. EGL cert stones are scary if you can not inspect them or have someone whom you trust look at it. Today I looked at an EGL si2 stone and it had a VERY visible crack in it--and it looked like it had brown spots--I am thinking about skipping EGL cert stones completely, or leaning towards si1 stones, perhaps the clarity will be better. Thanks Giangi--I will check out these stones.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
OK, but I want you to know that since the lab has quite a bad reputation, diamonds with EGL reports sell for less, but this doesn't mean they're all overgraded you could find a deal if you keep on searching...
And keep in mind that many, many 2Cts SI 2s have eye visible inclusions, even if they have a GIA report...
The I 1 on that little list looks quite good --I don't think it will be 100% eye clean, but definitely very nice looking once mounted-- and it's 'F' color plus it's H&A...
I've included some EGL stones too, but again, it's a good idea to call and ask for a visual description...

Giangi

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
AL--Giangi is located somewhere in Europe and I don't think he is affiliated with DCD..he was just posting some stones for dinah to view.
1.gif

Dinah--unfortunately I agree that you may have to up your budget unless you want a smaller stone. A 2.17c H SI2 well cut stone would be around $9500-11000 depending on the cut, and as you found out the reason this particular stone was priced so low was probably due to the odd color.

Also keep in mind, as Giangi said, that SI2 stones will not always be face up eye clean, especially as you get into the larger carat weight stones where inclusions are often more visible than with smaller carat sizes. It will most likely be harder to find a 2.15c SI2 eye-clean stone than a 1c SI2 eye-clean stone. For a 2c stone I would not go under SI1 unless you are prepared to spend some quality time hunting to find an eye-clean SI2. Your budget may need to jump to around $12k in order to achieve a well cut H SI1 2c stone.

If you do find a clean SI2, you save a considerable amount of $$ most likely, as the jump in price between well cut SI1 and SI2 is around $1-2k.

Just a few comments...good luck in the search!! Keep in mind also that cut is important, you don't want a horribly cut 2c stone that doesn't reflect light the way a 1.75c well cut 1A grade stone would!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very, very much Mara. I'm in Italy and I'm in no way affiliated with DCD
angryfire.gif
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also, ditto on last Mara's post!!!!! If you don't want an eye visible inclusion, you should consider an SI 1 or even better a VS 2.

dinah

Rough_Rock
Thanks--I think I will look for SI1 stones instead of si2--and I am leaning towards GIA--even if we have to pay more..the piece of mind seems worth it. I am not ruling out EGL but it will have to be closely inspected before we even consider it.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results