shape
carat
color
clarity

What a rat weight of diamond do you think this is?

cb36

Rough_Rock
Hi all! My sister in law got engaged a while ago and her fiancé picked her beautiful ring. He won’t give her any details and she’s wondering what size carat weight/size this diamond might be - just for fun! This is the diamond on a size 5 finger 5E1850ED-EF43-44E7-B872-CCE393F2A672.png

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will she be disappointed if it is not a certain weight/colour/clarity?

She could ask a jeweller to see if there is a grading report number lasered on the girdle.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Have her measure it in cm and get back to us :)

beigenarwhal

Rough_Rock
It looks like the perfect size! :D

Congrats to the newly engaged!

I'm curious to the fiance's reasons for keeping mum on the details - perhaps he got caught up in the sparkles and went over the budget so he doesn't want her to worry!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely! Looks maybe 0.80-1ct to me? :clap:

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
.85 ct? It appears somewhat rainbows. Is she sure it's a diamond? Surely she will get the paperwork to insure?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
1.5 - 2 IMHO that is to say 7 or 8 mm diameter or near half the inner diameter of the ring (size 5 is 16 mm) that is my reference...

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
I think the ring is beautiful, looks wonderful on your sister-in-law's finger, and hope she wears it in good health and with great joy!

Respectfully though, I'm not sure it's wise to answer if the ring owner isn't the author of the post. If you guess too low, it is a subtle insult to the buyer (he bought a diamond that looked small). If you guess too high and the sister-in-law finds out it's a smaller carat, it may be a set up for disappointment.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy cheap calipers on amazon and come back and post the millimeter size. Then you’ll have a much closer idea than wild guesswork.

cb36

Rough_Rock
Oh honestly it was just for fun. She doesn’t care at all what carat size it is, she adores it. We don’t know why he won’t say. It’s a fair bit bigger than my 1.2. Def a real diamond :)

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It looks over 1.5, however her small size could misguide me. Otherwise I would have said 1.75 at least.
She should def. measure it with a caliper, best have a local jeweler check it over then report back.
I have no idea why he would want to keep that a secret? One reason is that he bought it second hand and does not know. Second is that it is too expensive in his opinion, in which case the local jeweler will likely find a laser inscription No.
Either way she has the right to know. Is he controlling?

cb36

Rough_Rock
Oh not at all! He bought it from a local jeweller and to be fair my sister in law doesn’t really mind/care about such things. When she first got engaged she thought it was too big on her as in the UK we do t tend to have big diamonds and she doesn’t wear jewellery. I think she would actually be horrified to hear the price of it and maybe that’s why he isn’t sharing (plus the fact that she hasn’t asked him!) he’s quite traditional too, maybe doesn’t want to share for that reason. I brought it up in conversation with her saying I thought it would be over 1.5 carat and she says she wouldn’t have a clue!

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results