shape
carat
color
clarity

What’s your favourite “I dropped a diamond/gemstone” story to tell?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Years ago, my husband was driving MY car, and I was in the passenger seat putting on makeup and jewelry because we were running late to go to a party. So I was taking off my daily BGD studs (0.85ctcw) to put in dangly earrings which I usually wear only to go out…well, the stud flew out of my fingers and fell into the crack between the center console and the passenger seat…..

I didn’t want to move the seat at all to look for it because I was afraid it fell into the rail that the car seat sits on, and did t want to crush it….so I waited and drove my car to the dealership myself alone the next day and asked them to remove the seat and look for my stud. I told the service rep where it fell, and explained that I was in the PASSENGER seat, and they gave me a loaner to drive to work so that they could look for my stud….

When I got off work I drove back to the dealership, and they said they could not find my stud, and they gave me a report and sent me on my way. Well, I didn’t look at the report until I got home, and saw that they removed the DRIVER’S seat to look for my stud!!!!!! I was livid, I thought whoever found the stud just kept it, but apparently they just took out the wrong seat.

To make a long story short, I had to send my studly husband into the dealership with my car the next day to supervise the service tech (because I’m non-confrontational) and lo and behold, it was found BY MY HUSBAND, after the technician said they didn’t find it even after removing the correct seat!

I guess my husband was way more motivated to find the stud than the service technician….we have never purchased another Audi since. Their customer service just sucks IMO!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I was young, had no money, and bought my first colored stone piece from a very laid back guy in California for a low price (he took pity on me). It was a funky cut emerald set in a yg swirl ring. I was in love with this ring!

Later, at the airport, I was admiring it, and spinning in, and it flew off my finger and completely disappeared. It was a tiny, local gate, with all most no one else around.

I searched frantically. Then, a custodial guy went by with a brush a few aisles over. That’s too far away to be a problem, I was told. But I ran after him anyway. He told me I was crazy. I begged him to take the cover off his barrel - and there it was…Gleaming atop a big pile of dust and debris. I still have it to this day.

My other story is when two stones from my recently reset bar set eternity band popped out when a Staples carriage handle caught the edge of the ring as I was letting go of it. In the parking lot! I froze, tried not to panic, and actually found both of them, un harmed, sitting on their tables not too far from where I stood. I still can’t believe I found them!

Sava_Cin

Rough_Rock
Hi, everyone I am new here!
I lost my backup wedding set a few months ago I cleaned the rings put them in a folded paper towel and accidentally threw away the paper towel in my bathroom trash luckily my husband found them right away.

8E1AAE2D-4B04-4F64-8F9A-6ADBEBB67168.jpeg

How clever you thought to blacklight the spinels, @margauxmines!! I'm so glad you located them. I purchased a fabulous 13ct. neon apatite from AJS several years back (untreated). No sooner did I open the package, that I bobbled it like the knucklehead I am and dropped the stone on the tile floor. Needless to say, it did not survive. The stone suffered a conchoidal fracture the size of your head. I had the pieces (pieces!) faceted into two smaller gems and sold them. Lesson learned... never open gem paper over a tile floor and stop buying fragile gems! I actually sold all of my gems under a 7 Mohs, or with perfect cleavage, or brittle. :roll:

Hi, everyone I am new here!
I lost my backup wedding set a few months ago I cleaned the rings put them in a folded paper towel and accidentally threw away the paper towel in my bathroom trash luckily my husband found them right away.

8E1AAE2D-4B04-4F64-8F9A-6ADBEBB67168.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! Such a lovely set!! So glad your hubby recovered it. :shock:P.S. What a beautiful manicure...

I dropped a couple of tiny diamond on a pile of washing waiting to be folded
at least it was a soft landing
it was only from a ring i had scrapped and the gold trader (is that what you call them?) returned the stones free of charge
It took ages to find them

I have no idea what to do with them

However less valuable but highly annoying i was recently sitting in my usual chair in the lounge with one of those necklace board things undoing a garnet necklace im extending as part of my ongoing repair and wear projects
and i droped one of the garnets on the floor
im still looking

Been there, done that! I've flipped my bead board a number of times. Fun! I hope you find your garnets!!

Happened a few times!
The only one I never got back was a beautifully full patterned, decently sized, high dome natural yellow/chocolate Welo opal. It lives inside the foundation granite of my house and will for the rest of time :lol: I was mildly traumatized.
It's been a year(?), the floor gap repaired, but I still look at the 'place where it happened' all the time as it's right near my computer desk and wonder...

That's crazy!! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry with you!! Hundreds of years from now, an archeologist will find your opal's concrete tomb and make assumptions about society based upon it. :read:

..bought a blacklight to look through the grass at night. NEVER DO THIS, there are so many unimaginable worm like creatures that glow under a blacklight.

This cracked me up! :lol-2: Thank goodness you found your diamond and some ambitious ant didn't decorate its hill with it!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Been there, done that! I've flipped my bead board a number of times. Fun! I hope you find your garnets!!

Thank you
its only 1 small one
i think its run away with my keys
i cant find them either and i have the only key to the laundry
And it has my work key on it

And its a Bruce Springsteen key ring :(2

The garnets are ...im like a broken record ...from a necklace that is too small :lol-2: :lol-2: that im extending to fit fat neck
I flit from project to project when it gets too hard / or exspensive and i just keep it in the back of my mind for the problem to tick over and resolve but im sorry to say i don't remenber where i am with this one :lol-2:
Its fascated beads too

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I brought this necklace (i desided i desrved to buy something new !) to home those pesky diamonds
Mother's day discount paid for the shipping :appl: :appl: :appl:
And its already been shipped !

Bead boards are a lot harder to drive than i imangined
I think in future im going to do everything in the middle of my bead on a plain sheet ! Screenshot_20220508-124458.png

I brought this necklace (i desided i desrved to buy something new !) to home those pesky diamonds
Mother's day discount paid for the shipping :appl: :appl: :appl:
And its already been shipped !

Bead boards are a lot harder to drive than i imangined
I think in future im going to do everything in the middle of my bead on a plain sheet ! Screenshot_20220508-124458.png

Aww a tribute to your beloved furbabies. I absolutely love it!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
That's crazy!! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry with you!! Hundreds of years from now, an archeologist will find your opal's concrete tomb and make assumptions about society based upon it. :read:

:lol: This would bring me peace, I find something very satisfying about my potential tiny wonk into our collective understanding. Whoever finds it better be wearing the perfect natty archeologist sweater, then it will be worth it. I hope to rate half a page of flight of fancy and a tiny sketch.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was taking the Graduate Diamonds lab course at GIA, the diamond I was grading popped out of the tweezers, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I panicked and literally broke out in a sweat. Everyone around me noticed and started helping me look for it. It would happen to most students once in while, but usually the diamonds were found very quickly. Not this time! Eventually, the diamond was found....behind me....way in the back of the room....in a student's beard! There it was, nestled in, sparkling away. The student had no idea it was there.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last week i droped some jet beads on the floor
And then i droped a jet necklace on the floor
lucky we have timber floors
I was picking up jet beads for a couple of days
Black shows up quite well but they were beads and 8mm at that
I did find 1/3 :(2 of a bigger fascated bead of the necklace i was dismantling to remake wearable
But i did eventually remenber one bead had had a crack in it so i wouldn't have reused it anyway so no real harm done

Anyway after loosing and finding my tiny diamonds a couple of months back my solution finally landed in my letterbox yesterday
I was just starting to worry about it taking so long
Anyway i think its going to be a success
It has a nice weight to it and the engraving is very nice
It came with an 18" chain which i immediately repurposed after trying it on
I think it wants a sligtly longer chain so I'll sort that out when i get the diamonds countersunk into the bar

Attachments

• 20220617_174006.jpg
    20220617_174006.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 64

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
landed on the floor near the foot of my bed… open, to my horror!
I now had two tiny little spinels somewhere underneath my bed. Ugh!! ... Then it dawned on me: the little buggers fluoresce in UV light, and my mum happens to have a little UV flashlight. promptly borrowed it from her, got on my hands and knees, and started searching my dusty, yucky, under-bed floor for the rogue spinels.

Happy tale! Pretty brave indeed to go around the bedroom with a UV light!

Son dropped his brand-new iPhone while we were still in the Verizon store. :cool2: Does that count?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy tale! Pretty brave indeed to go around the bedroom with a UV light!

Son dropped his brand-new iPhone while we were still in the Verizon store. :cool2: Does that count?

im thinking mum and dad were paying :(2
mind you i can't talk

i drop mine 20 times a night
the arm of the chair is curved and it rolls off

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was admiring a purple-pink tourmaline from Barry, and she decided not to stick around. I heard a distinct sound that told me it fell into the floor vent near me. I searched and searched the vent and all of its nooks and crannies, to no avail. Several months later, when the initial panic had given way to calm determinedness, I revisited the vent. The sound was unmistakeable; I knew that's where it was. My persistence paid off as it was buried quite deeply between the edge of the vent and the wood the vent was set into. it was very tricky retrieving it without damage (it was as determined to stay in it's new abode as it was to leave my hand) but I succeeded! Somehow I pulled her out without scraping, scratching, or crushing her!

Also, I just moved my ring holder from the sill above the kitchen sink to my side table drawer. Yeah, I should have known better. Thank you for this thread!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! Mine is posted here. I THINK my housekeeper knocked a container sitting on my makeup table and a single trap diamond fell out. She replaced it (probably not realizing something was missing). I noticed it a few days later. I eventually was able to find it by peeling up the area rug and feeling along the floor with the palm of my hand! I posted about it here at the time.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! Mine is posted here. I THINK my housekeeper knocked a container sitting on my makeup table and a single trap diamond fell out. She replaced it (probably not realizing something was missing). I noticed it a few days later. I eventually was able to find it by peeling up the area rug and feeling along the floor with the palm of my hand! I posted about it here at the time.

i remember your one
lucky you fiund it
or even noticed it was missing to know to look for it
it joins my list of nightmares
when really its not like i need more lost stuff to worry about :lol-2:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
i remember your one
lucky you fiund it
or even noticed it was missing to know to look for it
it joins my list of nightmares
when really its not like i need more lost stuff to worry about :lol-2:

Really just don't be a dummy like me. Put your stuff in the safe. I mean, the traps and the stone with them (a pretty emerald, but small) aren't worth much by most PS standards but it's still in the 1200 range or so. So it was super dumb of me to leave them sitting. ON the other hand, everything is now in the safe and I haven't looked at my pretties or thought about them in FOREVER. Definitely haven't made any progress toward setting them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
=)2 Really just don't be a dummy like me. Put your stuff in the safe. I mean, the traps and the stone with them (a pretty emerald, but small) aren't worth much by most PS standards but it's still in the 1200 range or so. So it was super dumb of me to leave them sitting. ON the other hand, everything is now in the safe and I haven't looked at my pretties or thought about them in FOREVER. Definitely haven't made any progress toward setting them.

we'll get there
don't worry =)2 =)2

i made this rule im still trying to buy by,
no new stuff till all the other stuff i already own is made wearable (due to fat neck most part)
i have way too many necklace that need lengthening and rings that need sized up
im getting good practice buying components off the internet but im making mistakes as i learn too

lucky most of gemstone beads i need arnt exspensive but soon i need to buy findings and im nervous

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
right this bl**dy minute
:angryfire:
:angryfire: :angryfire:
so i got some pearls in the mail today specifically purchested to go with some left over jet to jazz up some tiny corral beads
i had the pearls in my wallet as i took them out of the letterbox on the way out the gate to go to work
so i have the pearls
i have the left over Whitby jet - i brought them to help extend a necklace and these are spairs

i had the tiny bag of corral beads in my hot sweaty little palms not 30 min ago
i sat down with the bead board and the jet and the pearls

where is the corral ?????

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
found them
Fallen down the back of the chair
they are very small beads

also found an amber bead that just randomly turnred up on the bedroom floor ???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results