shape
carat
color
clarity

What’s your favourite “I dropped a diamond/gemstone” story to tell?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Here’s mine (so far):

Yesterday evening, I was lovingly gazing upon my row of little gem containers, admiring their contents (as I usually do because I’m crazy like that)… when I noticed that the container holding two small spinels seemed misaligned. Upon further inspection, it was quite old and dingy too, so I decided I would switch the spinels to a more secure container after I got off the FaceTime call with my bf.

As I went to place it back on the table, my hand hit a speaker and the container went flying out of my hand and landed on the floor near the foot of my bed… open, to my horror!
I now had two tiny little spinels somewhere underneath my bed. Ugh!! Quickly got off the call with my bf (“gotta go I dropped some stones” “what??” *click*) and took a second to, well, NOT panic. :))

Then it dawned on me: the little buggers fluoresce in UV light, and my mum happens to have a little UV flashlight. promptly borrowed it from her, got on my hands and knees, and started searching my dusty, yucky, under-bed floor for the rogue spinels.

5C80B52A-7511-4496-883B-58E4878CD83A.jpeg

The UV light saved the day :)) I scooped them up and transferred them to a new container… and taped it shut! :D

What about you—ever dropped a loose diamond? A coloured gem onto an intricately-patterned carpet? In the grass of your backyard? :)) would love to hear everyone’s stories!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew, you are one lucky bug. Thank goodness for fluorescence. :lol:
I don’t have a favorite “I’ve dropped a gem“ story. Only reminders as to why I should only open gems in walled trays.

1. I dropped my very first gem from @PrecisionGem. It was a pink tourmaline from California and I dropped it on my tile floor. Of course, it cracked. o_O I still have it, believe it or not. It serves as a nice reminder to be more careful.

2. I bought some paraiba melee from Cecile Raley Designs and as soon as I opened it, two of those babies made their great escape. I spent a good hour searching the table & floor to no avail. I wouldn’t be so annoyed but those little buggers are expensive. Lol.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking at my loose diamond under my kitchen spotlights, and the diamond was in one of those spring-loaded holders with the four prongs. Suddenly the spring failed and snapped closed, and the diamond shot out of the holder and flew across the room into the kitchen sink. :eek-2: My heart nearly stopped. Fortunately, it didn't go down the drain and there was no damage. I've never used those types of holders again.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dropped a small precision cut garnet about 6mm onto the mosaic floor in the bathroom when I was examining it and chipped its culet.

I did not realise it was chipped (I did not check) and returned it to the vendor as I did not like the colour (I don't have a lot of luck with red garnets), to be told off for returning a chipped stone!

It was a genuine mistake and I admitted what happened right away. The vendor appreciated my honesty and thanked me when I said I would write it off.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dropped a couple of tiny diamond on a pile of washing waiting to be folded
at least it was a soft landing
it was only from a ring i had scrapped and the gold trader (is that what you call them?) returned the stones free of charge
It took ages to find them

I have no idea what to do with them

However less valuable but highly annoying i was recently sitting in my usual chair in the lounge with one of those necklace board things undoing a garnet necklace im extending as part of my ongoing repair and wear projects
and i droped one of the garnets on the floor
im still looking

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was looking at my loose diamond under my kitchen spotlights, and the diamond was in one of those spring-loaded holders with the four prongs. Suddenly the spring failed and snapped closed, and the diamond shot out of the holder and flew across the room into the kitchen sink. :eek-2: My heart nearly stopped. Fortunately, it didn't go down the drain and there was no damage. I've never used those types of holders again.

Not loose gems but that reminds me years ago i kept my good earings in a little box on the window sill in the bathroom???????
Yip
So one day it toppled into the basin and they all went down the plug hole

i did not panic (much)
I took a few deep breaths then had a think....
Hmmmmm
my some miracle i went into the vanity and undid the u bend and my earings were all there waiting
i even managed to put the pipes back together and nothing even leaked

now if im using the bathroom mirror the first thing i do is put the plug in and then lay a dry flannel in the sink

Yup, this was me too. Except, you know, I gave that gem holder just one more try because I thought it might have been due to user error. Fortunately no damage was done in the end. Finally learned my lesson.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I took my original engagement ring off when giving my kiddos their baths when they were small. Once as I turned to get a towel, I heard a “plonk” and a tiny voice say “oops!”. Yes, my daughter had dropped my ring in the toilet! She was looking at me with her “look what I did” face… I yelled “don’t flush don’t flush” and managed to fish it out :lol:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Phew, you are one lucky bug. Thank goodness for fluorescence. :lol:
I don’t have a favorite “I’ve dropped a gem“ story. Only reminders as to why I should only open gems in walled trays.

1. I dropped my very first gem from @PrecisionGem. It was a pink tourmaline from California and I dropped it on my tile floor. Of course, it cracked. o_O I still have it, believe it or not. It serves as a nice reminder to be more careful.

2. I bought some paraiba melee from Cecile Raley Designs and as soon as I opened it, two of those babies made their great escape. I spent a good hour searching the table & floor to no avail. I wouldn’t be so annoyed but those little buggers are expensive. Lol.

Oh my goodness!! Both are gut-wrenching! The paraiba melee prices I'm seeing now... I would've scoured that room with a vacuum, pantyhose tied over the nozzle! :lol-2:

I hate how true it is, but the best lessons are the ones you learn from experience... I know that has bitten me in the butt a number of times, but I always come out better for them :bigsmile:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock

I would immediately chuck that holder in the bin!!! :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I found a 0.9ct OEC in my washing machine. 0.9 isn't very big. I was super lucky it didn't wash down the drain.

In the washing machine? How did it get there? :confused: i don't think I would've been as lucky... Our washing machine has a bunch of holes and such inside... I would be devastated :(sad considering I have a soft spot for OECs too!! aaaah....

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
When I was first married ,I was washing my 0.75 ct diamond ring and it slipped into the drain ! I had to wait for my husband to come back from work to open the pipe and get it out . After that learned to close the drain first .
Recently I was playing with a cluster diamond ring while having dinner at home and it slipped on tile floor and a tiny 3 mm diamond from the halo flew away .I went down on all fours and looked under the table but nothing , finally my daughter found it . took it to the local jeweler to set it again .

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
In the late 90s I bought a 3-row princess cut channel set ruby ring to wear on my middle finger. I loved that ring and wore it every day.

I had the habit of grabbing my jewlery to stick in my purse before walking out the door to work. Once driving I'd put on my jewelery. One day, while putting on my jewelery my ruby slipped from fell my hands and landed inside of the gear shift lever part of my car. I couldn't get it out; my husband and I tried everything. Luckily it only took our mechanic a few minutes to fish around and find my ring... Needless to say, I never did that again!!

Like an idiot, I sold that ring as cash for gold, but didn't ask the guy for my rubies.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the late 90s I bought a 3-row princess cut channel set ruby ring to wear on my middle finger. I loved that ring and wore it every day.

I had the habit of grabbing my jewlery to stick in my purse before walking out the door to work. Once driving I'd put on my jewelery. One day, while putting on my jewelery my ruby slipped from fell my hands and landed inside of the gear shift lever part of my car. I couldn't get it out; my husband and I tried everything. Luckily it only took our mechanic a few minutes to fish around and find my ring... Needless to say, I never did that again!!

Like an idiot, I sold that ring as cash for gold, but didn't ask the guy for my rubies.

So much saddness in that post

I was lucky my gold guy gave my tiny diamonds back - it just said so on their website so i ticked the box

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I dropped a small precision cut garnet about 6mm onto the mosaic floor in the bathroom when I was examining it and chipped its culet.

I did not realise it was chipped (I did not check) and returned it to the vendor as I did not like the colour (I don't have a lot of luck with red garnets), to be told off for returning a chipped stone!

It was a genuine mistake and I admitted what happened right away. The vendor appreciated my honesty and thanked me when I said I would write it off.

Oh gosh, what an experience! I would've been devastated right there and then if I found out I had chipped it when it dropped :(sad but I'm so glad the vendor understood—honest mistake! What ever happened to the garnet? Did you set it?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I dropped a couple of tiny diamond on a pile of washing waiting to be folded
at least it was a soft landing
it was only from a ring i had scrapped and the gold trader (is that what you call them?) returned the stones free of charge
It took ages to find them

I have no idea what to do with them

However less valuable but highly annoying i was recently sitting in my usual chair in the lounge with one of those necklace board things undoing a garnet necklace im extending as part of my ongoing repair and wear projects
and i droped one of the garnets on the floor
im still looking
I'm so glad you found the diamond, considering it was a tiny one! :D

My mom had the same experience recently—she's gotten into making her own simple jewellery with beads and such, and dropped a rutile quartz somewhere... we still can't find it, and she's upset because now the design is lopsided :lol:
Not loose gems but that reminds me years ago i kept my good earings in a little box on the window sill in the bathroom???????
Yip
So one day it toppled into the basin and they all went down the plug hole

i did not panic (much)
I took a few deep breaths then had a think....
Hmmmmm
my some miracle i went into the vanity and undid the u bend and my earings were all there waiting
i even managed to put the pipes back together and nothing even leaked

now if im using the bathroom mirror the first thing i do is put the plug in and then lay a dry flannel in the sink
It's really the painful experiences that help us learn the lessons that STICK! I too have learned to remove my earrings over a large surface that would catch them in case I fumbled (like over my bed or a table). You are incredible for being able to undo the pipe... all in the name of good earrings!! :D

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Yup, this was me too. Except, you know, I gave that gem holder just one more try because I thought it might have been due to user error. Fortunately no damage was done in the end. Finally learned my lesson.
I'd always wanted one of those gem holder things... After these stories, maybe I'll just leave them to the experts and nimble-fingered :lol-2:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I took my original engagement ring off when giving my kiddos their baths when they were small. Once as I turned to get a towel, I heard a “plonk” and a tiny voice say “oops!”. Yes, my daughter had dropped my ring in the toilet! She was looking at me with her “look what I did” face… I yelled “don’t flush don’t flush” and managed to fish it out :lol:

My heart would have STOPPED!!! :shock::shock::shock:
I'm so glad this had a happy ending! :lol:

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
When I was first married ,I was washing my 0.75 ct diamond ring and it slipped into the drain ! I had to wait for my husband to come back from work to open the pipe and get it out . After that learned to close the drain first .
Recently I was playing with a cluster diamond ring while having dinner at home and it slipped on tile floor and a tiny 3 mm diamond from the halo flew away .I went down on all fours and looked under the table but nothing , finally my daughter found it . took it to the local jeweler to set it again .
Drains are notorious, so I'm seeing! o_O

What a feat to find the 3mm diamond!! I hope the ring continues to shine brightly and make you happy =)2

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock

I'm surprised being inside the gear shift portion didn't bend or ruin the ring! (I don't know much about cars—sorry if that was a bit dumb hahaha)

I'm sorry to hear you parted with the rubies, even if unintentionally... I'm sure they must have had a lot of sentimental value too :cry:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I’ve shared this once before. It was a long time ago. Ricky (coworker and friend) saw my ering and her eyes popped out of her head. She asked to try it on and being the soft hearted soul I am I gave her the ring. She dropped it lol. Guess it was too heavy for her haha. She was so apologetic and the diamond was AOK. I louped it :)

I was not mad at her at all. But that was the last time I let anyone try on my ring. I no longer have that ring but nowadays the only people who can try my ring on are PSers. PSers are more careful than the general population.

:halo:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was polishing a beautiful Dark Crystal Opal from Lightning Ridge worth around $2k when it came off the dop stick and went into the oblivion. I spent days looking for it but found absolutely nothing.

2 weeks later, I just randomly had the thought; 'hey maybe that Opal fell straight down into the Cerium Oxide tub where I wouldn't be able to see it and didn't feel on my initial search of the tub.'

Go check the tub after all the powder had settled and I could see a perfect Oval outline in the bottom of the tub. Yep, went straight into the polishing powder tub :doh:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, what an experience! I would've been devastated right there and then if I found out I had chipped it when it dropped :(sad but I'm so glad the vendor understood—honest mistake! What ever happened to the garnet? Did you set it?

I don't know what happened to the Garnet as I did not ask for it to be returned to me.

It was not expensive so I wrote it off.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

See i was too scared to tell him what had happened because i would have got a lecture on being careless
i did confess 3 weeks latter and he was grudgingly impressed the pipe under the sink wasn't leaking after i put it back together
Thank goodness for u bends

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a bit of a jewellery whisperer, I find them.
My best story is the lost sapphire down at a playing field/ park near where we lived. I was about 16 at the time.
There were posters on various trees advising that a blue sapphire had been lost from a ring and a reward for its finding / return.
Its a huge park, lots and lots of grass.
I decided to look for it and after about 10 minutes I did indeed find it.
Much to the lady who lost it complete disbelief and delight I returned it.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Happened a few times!
The only one I never got back was a beautifully full patterned, decently sized, high dome natural yellow/chocolate Welo opal. It lives inside the foundation granite of my house and will for the rest of time :lol: I was mildly traumatized.
It's been a year(?), the floor gap repaired, but I still look at the 'place where it happened' all the time as it's right near my computer desk and wonder...

PearCraze

Rough_Rock
About 10 years ago, I bought a 2 carat yellow diamond. I decided to take it out and look at it under the sun, it was loose and I had it on my hand. The next second it was gone. It had fallen in the grass! I estimated it was in this 40sqft region, we spent the next 5 hours combing through the grass with no luck. I remembered that it had some fluorescence, and bought a blacklight to look through the grass at night. NEVER DO THIS, there are so many unimaginable worm like creatures that glow under a blacklight. Anyways- no luck. I spent the whole next day with scissors hand cutting the grass trying to find it- no luck. I had hand cut a massive area by now, and I notice that the cut line was not straight (hubby is OCD), so I go to straighten that line out and see my diamond half buried in the dirt- it was sheer luck and my husband's OCD to the rescue. :roll:

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Love the stories everyone! Back in the day when I worked at Neiman Marcus, we had a VIP customer order 3.00ctw of fancy pink melee diamonds, I think there were about 300 in the parcel paper. He came in to see them and while sitting at the desk with his Sales Rep, he let out a big ole sneeze right as he was leaning over the open parcel paper. :-o:-o
We were finding those things for years and years. I think about 30 went flying all around. He was a great sport about it, laughed it off as "chump change". :cool2: We then had a beautiful bracelet cuff with matching earrings made with those beauties. :kiss2: They were spectacular.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results